How to resolve unmet dependencies?

I’m trying to get ASL installed on a Debian 11 machine but I’m encountering unmet dependencies.

From Beta2rel6 multiple problems WYSE 3040 - #7 by NU5D comes this:

Next as root (or with sudo) run the following commands to install ASL.

apt -y install linux-headers-$(uname -r) apt -y install asl-asterisk apt -y install allstar-helpers apt -y install asl-dahdi-linux apt -y install asl-update-node-list

On the “install asl_asterisk” step, I get this output:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
asl-asterisk: Depends: libsnmp30 (>= 5.7.3+dfsg) but it is not installable
                    Depends: libsqlite0 (>= 2.8.17) but it is not installable

I welcome suggested solutions!

Hola Tom, this thread Debian Bullseye Packages and install should answer all your questions. 73, NR9V

David, it didn’t quite work for me. Starting over with a fresh Deb 11 install. Thank you!

Tom KJ7T

There’s a lot of good info in that thread, and some serious expertise (ad8jl and encbar). Definitely not a simple task, otherwsie the ASL devs probably would have already had it working on 11 a long time ago. Anyhow if you run into an issue just post the specific errors you see there.

BTW I just noticed that Debian 12 was released 6 days ago. I may pick up another $50 laptop in the next couple weeks and see if I can get ASL running on Debian 12. My guess is it would be very difficult and maybe next to impossible but worth a try.

The Acer R11 netbook I have does not seem to have a touchscreen driver in Deb 11. And not a big fan of netbooks really, they seem to have the simplified keyboards with no delete key or page up/down and no ethernet jack. With actual laptops also being available for ~$50 I think I’ll go with more of a normal laptop or maybe a tablet for an upcoming node build.

I did install Debian 12 last weekend. That went smoothly. I did not try installing ASL on it. I’m using a Lenovo Ultrabook acquired via eBay that is working quite well.

The repository that you are installing with that script is for debian 10, as can be seen by the buster codeword when you look in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/allstarlink.list.

The dependency information is stored in the debian package itself. One way to fix this would be for the devs to update the package for debian 11, and publish it under a bullseye repository. But another way you could satisfy the dependency is to configure your package manager to also use the buster repositories and then let it satisfy the dependencies from there.

1. As root, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  2. You should see a line at the top like deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main, and a line after that like deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main.
  3. Add a new line below these, that will look at the buster repo: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main, and save the file.

From here you will be able to install asl-asterisk because the system can find the dependencies. HOWEVER, the asl-dahdi-linux install will fail because it tries to install asl-dahdi-dkms which will not work on newer kernel versions (my debian was on kernel 5.10.0).

In order to fix this error, don’t install asl-dahdi-linux, but instead install dahdi-linux from the normal bullseye repostiory. All of these commands need to be run as root.

1. apt update
  2. apt install dahdi-linux
  3. modprobe dahdi
  4. echo dahdi >> /etc/modules

Then of course apt install asl-asterisk. This gave me a running asterisk that was able to execute rpt commands, but I did not test beyond that so use at your own risk. I guess you would want to try to install asl-update-node-list and allstar-helpers as well but I did not test that.

1 Like