HF remote base help needed

Hi all.
Getting back to putting a HF remote on the air…Using a FT-900 Yaesu rig, which, by the way, uses the same command structure as FT-100. So setup as a ft100 and voila, works. But there is next to zero documentation for the remote commands except for maybe using a radio as a V/U remote. So far I can recall rpt.conf memories just fine, I can set freq, interrogate, jog freq. But I have a stumbling block in the rpt.conf memories. Typical structure:
[memory]
00 = 146.580,100.0,m
01 = 147.030,103.5,m+t
02 = 147.240,103.5,m+t
03 = 147.765,79.7,m-t
04 = 146.460,100.0,m
05 = 146.550,100.0,m

I have been able to do HF freq like this:
00 = 014.280,100.0,u
01 = 007.290,103.5,u
02 = 029.620,103.5,m-t
;03 = 147.765,79.7,m-t
;04 = 146.460,100.0,m
;05 = 146.550,100.0,m

If I end the string with “m” I get simplex fm, then -t or +t gives offset.
I tried a “u” at the end and got the freq USB mode. Great. But cannot figure how to get lsb, or am.

Anyone able to shed light on it. I’ve stared at the source code I compiled from and the answer isn’t jumping out at me.

I’m using the FT900 because I have it and don’t want to tie up one of my FT857’s. Plus the 900 has an excellent tuner. Oh yeah, that function works ok too.

I was trying to use hamlib but that is much more problematic. It works but too many handles to pull and buttons to push to set up. I compared CAT commands of ft100 vs 900 and was amazed it was the same with minor differences that are of no significance.

GeorgeC W2DB
2360 440
2428 HF
28599 927
49089 test

I dug thru the source and found my answers. So now I need to get the audio connections and COS and PTT. Going to use one of my syllabic squelch boards for COS…

This is gonna be cool.

But…

One more question. Is there a way after one connection is made to the remote no other node can access?

GeorgeC W2DB

George,
As I remember, I thought there was a maxconnections setting but I can’t find it.I must be dreaming again.

You can write a script using ‘on event’ programming to check status of connections and disable incomming connections when the value is one. And return it on the reverse.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Event_Management

Oh…
one question for you…
did you find this to be the format for memory strings ?
[memory29261]
;format: Freq mhz.khz,pltone, (R)ecieve pl (T)x pl -MODE (F,A,U,B for lsb) & pwr LMH & offset + -

Let me know so I can fix the wiki.
BTW… I don’t think a uppercase F for fm works. it needs to be a lower case f.
I remember the error in the source now.

Mike, uppercase F works for FM mode. Lower case does not. It also seems like if no mode is specified FM is default. All other modes upper or lower case works.
What I’m using is:
mhz.khz,pltone,attribute
for 3840 khz lsb:
memnum(2 digits) = 003.840,141.3,b

for 10meter fm repeater:
memnum = 029.620,088.5,F-
or
029.620,088.5,-
For my FT-900 implementation using the FT-100 remote choice I don’t use the high/medium/low power choices or the pl choices, that is ignored by the radio and at some point I may try to fix that but for my purposes now it’s working great.

Also the format to enter a frequency in any documentation I could find shows (example 146.940 mhz) 1MMMMMKKK*O which is incorrect. Mhz is three characters: *1146.940,O O being offset ), 1, 2 1 and 2 being the + or - offset

As I stated I tried hamlib as suggested by the other guys since they apparently have ripped the remote base stuff out of the source, no way to confirm that. They use hamlib and a very complicated way of using a phone command to direct to a context in extensions.conf that would send a command to a script that chewed on the “data” part of the DTMF in and sent it to the radio. Lots of moving parts. Granted hamlib works with a very large number of rigs. But if someone is planning a remote base (I think) if you know there is a definite group of rigs to pick from…just get hold of one of them. My choice of FT–900 was because I wanted a HF remote with antenna tuner integrated with the rig. FT-897 might work but I had the FT-900 on the shelf. Had FT-857(same commands as FT-897) but antenna tuner is not in it. And I felt that the ability to just give a tune command was what I needed.

Now to put up it’s antenna which will be either a GAP or an old HF6V

LOL
Thanks for the info George,.
My problem has been I didn’t remember more than how much the existing documentation was wrong and I made notes in my files and there were a few errors in the source. Long time ago.
I’m going to sit down with it and verify everything and get this wiki correct and full of easier howto stuff.
Right now I’m doubting my own notes.

I had intended to write my own external control for 10 years and I still might.
(well I did do them in dos in the 90’s)
The 706 was a mess in app_rpt because it was written for the MKII which returns a specific string length of data and lock-up with anything else, where it could have been done a bit more generic and allowed all models 706 tune along with many other icom models.
I had asked the dude to make a universal interface for external control… went nowhere.
But it would allow for new radio’s and changes in existing to be adapted without a rewrite of the source.

Future project yet. Normally winter projects.
Thanks

Yeah somewhere it can talk directly to hamlib. Hamlib really is pretty neat, just not do it the way brand X does it. Or… just have the generic remote but an extra config file specific to the radio… but just sending to hamlib is probably best. The hamlib people keep adding radios. I’d love to see them do it for Micom2or3

GeorgeC W2DB

Mike, here’s where to look. This is around line 4400 in app_rpt.c:

while(*s2){
switch(*s2++){
case ‘A’:
case ‘a’:
strcpy(myrpt->rxpl, “100.0”);
strcpy(myrpt->txpl, “100.0”);
myrpt->remmode = REM_MODE_AM;
break;
case ‘B’:
case ‘b’:
strcpy(myrpt->rxpl, “100.0”);
strcpy(myrpt->txpl, “100.0”);
myrpt->remmode = REM_MODE_LSB;
break;
case ‘F’: <--------------------------------------------------------------'case ‘f’ is missing
myrpt->remmode = REM_MODE_FM;
break;
case ‘L’:
case ‘l’:
myrpt->powerlevel = REM_LOWPWR;
break;
case ‘H’:
case ‘h’:
myrpt->powerlevel = REM_HIPWR;
break;

case 'M':
		case 'm':
			myrpt->powerlevel = REM_MEDPWR;
			break;

case '-':
			myrpt->offset = REM_MINUS;
			break;

case '+':
			myrpt->offset = REM_PLUS;
			break;

case 'S':
		case 's':
			myrpt->offset = REM_SIMPLEX;
			break;

case 'T':
		case 't':
			myrpt->txplon = 1;
			break;

case 'R':
		case 'r':
			myrpt->rxplon = 1;
			break;

case 'U':
		case 'u':
			strcpy(myrpt->rxpl, "100.0");
			strcpy(myrpt->txpl, "100.0");
			myrpt->remmode = REM_MODE_USB;
			break;
		default:
			return 1;
	}
}
return 0;

}

GeorgeC W2DB

Thanks George.
Yea I remember that it was there as I had found it all those years ago. I was just backwards with my memory F/f

As I remember, with the memory settings,
You need to have all the field separators “,” on the line,
however, once the rest of the line has no needed settings, it can be blank.

So, I suggested in my old notes that you put them all (,) in there in case of a later edit without error likelihood.

One more thought on the remote base. In every rpt.conf I have or have found is missing one very important remote command… mode like usb, lab, am, fm… etc. it is command 6in remote. In all the config files I looked at only 1-4 are shown, then it skips ahead to 711. I forget what 5 is… but 6 is real important. I mapped it to 6 so to go to lsb in mine it is *63, 62 is usb, etc.

Thanks George.
I’m collecting info and will update that some more likely later.
My memory is poor for this as I have not used it in some time but going to verify some of it.
Not many use it and I can see why as the doc’s were not always clear and correct.

agreed on that…linux in general has documentation written for someone who already knows the answer.

Geaorge,
I was looking through this old post since i never cleared the tab out and I finally realized why.
A answer to the early question.

Remote base only allows 1 connection.

How I got around this was to give the physical remote base a set-up on a private node for audio only.
I set-up the command structure and i/o statements on the primary public node.
This allows for muti connect and you do not need to connect to the private node in command mode (*4) to control it either.
Just make the connection to the private node when you want to hear it and everyone can connect to your public node and share the experiance.

Now I can close this old tab out when I know you got it ! LOL

Hi Mike, Happy New…y’know…
Let me make sure I got this right. Actual remote base is on a private node number, but the public node number(2428) makes an audio only connection to the HF receiver so when I want to use it I go from my 440 node, 2360, to the private node number for the remote, control it, use it, etc. and anyone wanting to listen does that via the public node number 2428. Got it, thanks for the tip.
GeorgeC W2DB

I think you got it.

P-node 1999> audio connection/usbradio/simpleusb > remote base radio audio/ptt/cos connection

Public node 29261> set control for the device parallel port or serial port definition/ & control commands
for remote.

Merry belated xmas Hi Hi

George,
Happened to revisit this thread and re-read and wanted to reply to your second query for you or others stumbling on it.

There is a built-in limit of ‘ONE’ connection when the node is defined with “Y” at the end of rpt.conf [NODES] stanza

If you want it open for many connections, remove the ‘Y’ (is remote base)

I had found it best to put all the command and control for the HF remote in the primary/public node.
Or even multiple public nodes that I might want to connect with hf remote.
And put the actual hf remote on a private node.

This keeps you from connecting to the private node in command mode and closes outside connections to only those that are connected to the public node I make the connection for.

Great, thanks. So many not well documented stuff. Never knew what the Y was for… been using it since 2009
GeorgeC W2DB

One last thing on what I said above,
If it is not defined ‘as a remote base’, then other items will not work as well such as log-in limiting and control of user freq by license class that app_rpt does very well, but nobody I know actually uses that stuff.