Hardware Specs for Raspberry Pi

Hello all,

Very new here and not familiar at all with Linux or the Rasberry Pi.

I’d like to setup a new node and have just received my node number. When purchasing a Rasberry Pi, what Model and Specs (RAM) should I be looking for? I checked the wiki, but unless I missed I didn’t see any hardware specifications.

Unrelated to hardware, I’d like the capability to access my repeater system from my Android & IOS phone when I’m out the repeaters RF range. Is this doable via my node and link radio with the basic install of the .iso I’m about to perform?

Thanks in advance!

Adam N2ACF

Good evening Adam,
Right at the moment the ASL software runs on anything from a Pi1 to a Pi 3b+. There is a new Pi4 out and we expect an image shortly for BETA testing, but that is not out yet. The Pi4 runs quite warm, so plan fans if you are going to use a Pi4. Really a Pi3 or Pi2 works just fine for ASL.

Both Android and iOS can access your repeater. On Android, many use the DVSwitch Mobile app from the play store. On iOS, most use Zoiper. A quick google of both will give you videos and setup info, let us know if you need help with that.

Mike
kb8zgl

Hi Mike, and thanks so much for the reply!

If I go for the Pi3 (or 4), how much RAM should I get? I see models with 1, 2, and 4gb available.

Adam N2ACF

Adam,

Well, I always buy as much as I can for my own, but really it is pretty light weight. Depends if you want to run a local web server for things like Allmon, etc. I would recommend 2GB, not less and on the Pi4, the cost difference to go
to 4Gb is not enough difference in my mind to skimp.

ASL is really light weight though, given it will run on very little for resources.

Mike

···

From: Adam Feuer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Reply-To: AllStarLink Discussion Groups replies+7996244a909036df15385c9c57871746@community.allstarlink.org
Date: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM
To: Michael Wolthuis wolthuis@gmail.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] Hardware Specs for Raspberry Pi

N2ACF

September 18

Hi Mike, and thanks so much for the reply!

If I go for the Pi3 (or 4), how much RAM should I get? I see models with 1, 2, and 4gb available.

Adam N2ACF

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

kb8zgl

ASL Admin
September 18

Good evening Adam, Right at the moment the ASL software runs on anything from a Pi1 to a Pi 3b+. There is a new Pi4 out and we expect an image shortly for BETA testing, but that is not out yet. The Pi4 runs quite
warm, so plan fans if you are going to use a Pi4. Really a Pi3 or Pi2 works just fi…

Visit Topic or reply
to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

Mike,

Thanks again! Not knowing anything about a server, Allmon, etc…I’ll just get the 4gb so I’m good for anything that I might want to do in the future (If I can figure it out! LOL)

Thanks!

Adam N2ACF