GPIO PTT and COS

I am running Allstar on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and both Allstar and Echolink are connecting. I am trying to convert an IRLP node to run Allstar and hope to use the IRLP board for PTT and COS. When I set up simpleusb.conf for using the GPIO

[usb_53017]

; IRLP board support
pp3 = ptt ; out0, out1 or ptt
pp11 = cor
;
pp4 = out0 ; pins 4,5,6 are AUX 1,2,3, default off
pp5 = out0
pp6 = out0

hdwtype=0
rxboost=0
txboost=0
rxctcssrelax=1
txctcssdefault=100.0 ; Disregard this CTCSS section unless you are using discriminator
rxctcssfreqs=100.0 ; audio and injecting PL from the USB FOB directly into the modulator.
txctcssfreqs=100.0
;rxctcssoverride=0 ; If using a typical IRLP setup - muted, filtered receive audio and injecting mic audio
; into the mic jack, you’ll want to do your PL encode and decode
;carrierfrom=dsp ; in the node radio itself, not via Asterisk DSP.
ctcssfrom=no
carrierfrom=ppinvert ; use either pp or ppinvert
;carrierfrom=pp ; depending on the cos logic of your radio
rxdemod=speaker
txprelim=no
txlimonly=no
txtoctype=no
txmixa=voice
txmixb=no
invertptt=0
duplex=0 ; 0=half duplex 1=full duplex
rxondelay=0
rxnoisefiltype=0
eeprom=0

I keep getting the following error when I restart asterisk.

[Nov 16 17:09:01] ERROR[4950] chan_simpleusb.c: Cant get io permission on IO port 0378 hex, disabling pp support

Any thoughts on why I am unable to access the IO port?

Thanks!

John Westerkamp, W8LRJ

This is only my opinion! IRLP is built on for only their agenda, for instan, the way Hewitt Pakared only their hardware and maybe software would work for that system costing way too much. Also, like Iphone’s high price. Don’t you people go down on me, again only my opinion!

···

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 4:56 PM John Westerkamp via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| W8LRJ
November 16 |

• | - |

I am running Allstar on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and both Allstar and Echolink are connecting. I am trying to convert an IRLP node to run Allstar and hope to use the IRLP board for PTT and COS. When I set up simpleusb.conf for using the GPIO

[usb_53017]

; IRLP board support
pp3 = ptt ; out0, out1 or ptt
pp11 = cor
;
pp4 = out0 ; pins 4,5,6 are AUX 1,2,3, default off
pp5 = out0
pp6 = out0

hdwtype=0
rxboost=0
txboost=0
rxctcssrelax=1
txctcssdefault=100.0 ; Disregard this CTCSS section unless you are using discriminator
rxctcssfreqs=100.0 ; audio and injecting PL from the USB FOB directly into the modulator.
txctcssfreqs=100.0
;rxctcssoverride=0 ; If using a typical IRLP setup - muted, filtered receive audio and injecting mic audio
; into the mic jack, you’ll want to do your PL encode and decode
;carrierfrom=dsp ; in the node radio itself, not via Asterisk DSP.
ctcssfrom=no
carrierfrom=ppinvert ; use either pp or ppinvert
;carrierfrom=pp ; depending on the cos logic of your radio
rxdemod=speaker
txprelim=no
txlimonly=no
txtoctype=no
txmixa=voice
txmixb=no
invertptt=0
duplex=0 ; 0=half duplex 1=full duplex
rxondelay=0
rxnoisefiltype=0
eeprom=0

I keep getting the following error when I restart asterisk.

[Nov 16 17:09:01] ERROR[4950] chan_simpleusb.c: Cant get io permission on IO port 0378 hex, disabling pp support

Any thoughts on why I am unable to access the IO port?

Thanks!

John Westerkamp, W8LRJ

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

No problem. Note, however, that I am not using or connecting to IRLP at all. I am just trying to use the hardware IRLP board to provide PTT and COS for my Allstar node. This is not an IRLP question. It is really a parallel port interface question. Why are the permissions not allowing me access to pp support? Is that functionality not available any more in app_rpt?

John which allstar distro are you using? I use ACID (old but very reliable) on one node and also Limey on another. Both allow access to the pp’s. I like using it and it is my COS and PTT I/O one nodes used.
I just looked at the source code for simple usb channel and paraport is still in there.

Also here’s a look at what should be in the simpleusb.conf file:

[general]
; General config options that apply to entire channel driver.
;
; pport=/dev/parport0 ; Specify parport device (optional)
; pbase=0x378 ; Specify printer port I/O address (if not using parport driver) (optional)
;

GeorgeC W2DB

Thank you very much for the information! I am using the Allstar distro image downloaded from the Allstar website.

Unfortunately, even with those additions for pport and pbase, I still get the permissions error. I did also see the paraport code in chan_simpleusb.c. I am at a loss right now as to why it won’t work.

Thanks!

John W8LRJ

Maybe the IRLP board needs something other than what app_rpt provides? Are you looking at the output of the printer port or the behavior of the IRLP board?

Try running Asterisk as root and see if that changes anything
GeorgeC

You may have to reset password. 1st try going to allstar.org get ur password try reenter it, may work.

···

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:28 AM George Csahanin via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| George_Csahanin
November 19 |

• | - |

Try running Asterisk as root and see if that changes anything
GeorgeC

In Reply To

| W8LRJ
November 17 |

• | - |

Thank you very much for the information! I am using the Allstar distro image downloaded from the Allstar website. Unfortunately, even with those additions for pport and pbase, I still get the permissions error. I did also see the paraport code in chan_simpleusb.c. I am at a loss right now as to why…

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I agree. Your default user may not have sufficient privileges for the parport access. Root should allow complete privilege to parport. it was unclear to me though if you are running on a raspberry pi or the computer your IRLP node was on. I would also be interested in how you are going to get audio in and out of your setup. the IRLP interface doesn’t look like to me from internet search that it has onboard sound card.

You are on a PI
While I have not made use of io pins with a pi and in app_rpt
I can guess that the parallel port definitions are not going to work for you.
They are designed for a x86 PC if you first describe the port address (278,378,3bc) in rpt.conf

As I believe the work that started with pi gpio was not finished or documented but I could be wrong.
I could not say who was poking around with that.But that would be who you want to talk to.

But you should check the chan_pi.so asterisk module possible compatibility (know nothing about it but look), but i think you may be in for a complex mess trying to convert signals and addresses or even some ‘on event’ programing conversions if you cant use a proper pi i/o.

The skinny is I only know half of what I’m leading you to and parallel port is not in the cards for the pi as it pertains to simpleusb. Unless there was work I was not aware of.

Just for the record, on a x86 PC and latest ASL on debian
This would be current options for simpleusb
PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE SOME OLDER DEFINITIONS LISTED IN THERE THAT ARE NO LONGER VALID AND THEY ARE COMMENTED OUT

; If you are going to use this channel driver, you MUST enable it in modules.conf

; SimpleUSB configuration

[general]
;pport = /dev/parport0 < not used
;pbase = 0x378 < defined in rpt.conf now

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Begin 83

[usb_29283]
pp5=ptt
pp10=cor

eeprom = 0 ; EEPROM installed: 0,1
; 0 = no (default)
; 1 = yes

hdwtype = 0 ; Leave this set to 0 for USB sound fobs modified using
; the instructions from usbfob.pdf. Use a setting of
; 1 is for Dingotel/Sph interfaces.

duplex = 1 ; Duplex / 0 - half duplex / 1 - full duplex

; Receiver parameters

;carrierfrom=no
;carrierfrom=dsp
;carrierfrom=pp
carrierfrom=ppinvert
;carrierfrom=usb
;carrierfrom=usbinvert
;carrierfrom=vox

; Tone & CTCSS

;ctcssfrom=no
ctcssfrom=dsp
;ctcssfrom=usb
;ctcssfrom=rxdemod

;txctcssdefault=100.0

;rxctcssfreqs=100.0;67.0,71.9,74.4,77.0,79.7,82.5,85.4,88.5,91.5,94.8,97.4,100.0,103.5,107.2,110.9,114.8,118.8,123.0,127.3,131.8,136.5,141.3,146.2,151.4,156.7,162.2,167.9,173.8,179.9,186.2,192.8,203.5,210.7,218.1,225.7,233.6,241.8,250.3

;txctcssfreqs=100.0;67.0,71.9,74.4,77.0,79.7,82.5,85.4,88.5,91.5,94.8,97.4,100.0,103.5,107.2,110.9,114.8,118.8,123.0,127.3,131.8,136.5,141.3,146.2,151.4,156.7,162.2,167.9,173.8,179.9,186.2,192.8,203.5,210.7,218.1,225.7,233.6,241.8,250.3

rxctcssoverride=1
plfilter=yes

rxctcssrelax=1 ; reduce talkoff from radios w/o CTCSS Tx HPF
; Do not change this, leave this as a 1

deemphasis = no ; enable de-emphasis (input from discriminator)

rxondelay = 10 ; number of 20ms intervals to hold off receiver turn-on indication

rxboost = 0 ; 0 = 20db attenuator inserted, 1= 20db attenuator removed
; Set to 1 for additonal gain if using a low-level receiver output

; Transmitter parameters

txboost = 0

txmixa = voice ; Left channel output (A): no,voice
; no - Do not output anything
; voice - output voice only

txmixb = no ; Right channel output (B): no,voice
; no - Do not output anything
; voice - output voice only

invertptt = 0 ; Invert PTT: 0,1 ( 0 - ground to transmit, 1 - open to transmit )

preemphasis = 0 ; Perform standard 6db/octave pre-emphasis

rxdemod=flat
txprelim=yes
txlimonly=no

; pager = no ; no,a,b (e.g. pager = b means “put the normal repeat audio on channel A, and the pager audio on channel B”)

; duplex3 = 0 ; duplex 3 gain setting (0 to disable)

#includeifexists custom/simpleusb.conf

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; End 83

Hi John. Hope this article will help.I am running a AllStar Link node with a IRLP card on a x86 Thin Client PC…

How to convert an IRLP node into Allstar or Allstar and Echolink

Thank you very much, Mike, for the information. I came to the same conclusion that the parallel port definitions were probably not available on the RPi. I have since abandoned the IRLP board and have a URIxB working just fine with the RPi.

Thanks!

John

Thanks again for the information!

John

Hi Alberto,

Yes, I found your very informative website on converting the IRLP to Allstar. I tried that approach and that is where I found out that the parallel port (GPIO) definitions are probably not available for the Raspberry Pi, which is what I was using. Hopefully, your information will help somebody working on this!

Thanks!

John

So do you still have the IRLP node/board? I would be interested in obtaining it from you if the price is right.

Thank you,

William

Hi William,

Thanks for your interest in the IRLP node. Unfortunately, it is not mine to sell, but I will pass your information on to the club.

Thanks!

John