GM/GR300 Setup with RIM-Maxtrac-RM

Hey guys, does anybody know of anywhere that has a complete, concise layout of all the settings in Allstar for the GM300? I have seen quite a few things on the internet and here but nothing with a complete setup - just people solving one-off problems.

My setup is a GR300 comprised of 2 GM300’s, connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 via a RIM-Maxtrac-RM. I am having some issues right now with it keying my TX radio randomly and for an extended period of time. I am certain I input the wrong settings as I chose mostly defaults when going through the initial setup in Allstar.

Additionally, I am running this as a private node, so I am not using a traditional node number nor am I connected to the Allstar network. I am running the latest Hamvoip image.

If nothing exists, I will go ahead and make a nice site with a full layout of all my settings, but I’ll need some help from you guys to do that!

Many thanks and 73

Have you seen this WiKi page? There is some limited MaxTrac info on there. That would be a great place to add any documentation you create. Have you created WiKi documentation before? It’s not hard to learn. Let me know if I can help.

check out my info on GM300 at vermontallstarboards,net

Hey Mike. I went to vermontallstar.boards.net and searched for gm300 but results come up 0. Am I in the right place?

I now forgot what info do you need the simpleusb.conf
of the wiring diagram

Simpleusb.conf would be great if you have that (my wiring is good). To be honest, I’m not 100% sure what I need. It seems there several different config files throughout the allstar filesystem:
rpt.conf
iax.conf
extensions.conf
simpleusb.conf

And then there is also simple-usb-tune which is apparently different from simple-usb?
It seems when I do the initial setup that configures simple-usb, but once Im running, I can only modify via simple-usb-tune…?

Whatever you’ve got will help either way. I tried following the few settings listed on the RIM-Maxtrac-RM schematic but that doesnt have all the settings listed, just a few… seems to be very old/outofdate like many of the listings I’ve seen.

Thanks!

; simple usb configration added by simpleusb-config.sh
; 2015.10.16.1908

[general]

[usb]
; Motorola GM300 with COS inverted
eeprom=0
hdwtype=0
rxboost=0
carrierfrom=usbinvert
ctcssfrom=usb
txmixa=composite
txmixb=no
invertptt=0
duplex=1
plfilter=yes
deemphasis=yes
preemphasis=yes
rxaudiodelay=0
duplex=1

make sure your rpt.conf is set to time out in 180000

please watch some of my videos on youtube under my callsign, its really not that hard

there is nothign in iax.conf, extensions.conf you need to change unless you are going to use zoiper

simpleusb-tune-menu is how you adjust your audio levels for the node

join, its free & loaded with info https://vermontallstar.boards.net/forum

Alrighty - this helped! Steps taken and troubleshooting:
I applied all your settings above by entering in the answers during simpleusb setup screens (this is a little bit confusing process as you are answering yes/no to questions that require 0,1,2,3 config parameters, but I see and understand what they’re doing for the setup process).

The following 3 parameters were not available to check (I looked in simpleusb.conf using nano later on and they are not parameters that even exist in there):
txmixa=composite
txmixb=no
hdwtype=0

So, when I rebooted the rPi, I had an issue with my radios not keying the repeater (well, they would key it, but no audio came out). On a hunch I changed carrierfrom to just “usb” and not “usbinvert”. This fixed that problem.

Mike, I am not sure what you mean by “make sure rpt.conf is set to time out in 180000” - There are quite a few “timeout” parameters in rpt.conf - which one are you referring to?

Furthermore - my next task is to get my auto-ID set up - the system seems to be IDing, but I can’t make rhyme or reason of the timing or what it’s trying to say. It seems to ID at random times (if I key the system with an HT this seems to affect the timing) and when it does it ID’s differently every time (one time it had an echo like it was playing over itself, another time it said the callsign 3 times, then “the time is” and that was the end, it didn’t say the time, another time it just played the callsign once… very odd).

the time out timer or tot

totime=180000 ; 170000

here is my script remember this is my hub, no radio attached

so if you look at my idtime you will see i have it set for every 9 minutes or 540000

idtime=540000

I have mine setup with a custom voice ID you can do the same the info is on our https://vermontallstar.boards.net/

[42353] ; Change this to your assigned node number
rxchannel = SimpleUSB/usb
duplex=0
erxgain=-3
etxgain=3
controlstates=controlstates
scheduler=schedule42353
morse=morse42353
macro=macro42353
functions=functions42353
phone_functions=functions42353
link_functions=functions42353