Echolink via Supermon

I have the impression that it is possible to connect to an EchoLink node through Supermon but, in spite of an extensive search on the web, I haven’t been able to succeed in doing so. I have two nodes on EchoLink corresponding to K8ZBE and K8ZBE-L and I have set up “echolink.conf” as per the instructions I have been able to find. Can any one point me to a document that gives step-by-step guidance? Something like “EchoLink via Supermon for Dummies” would work just fine in my case.

Tnx es 73,
Steve
K8ZBE
umans@alum.mit.edu

Steve,
I don’t know if you are asking this correctly or misunderstand how this works.

Nodes of course only connect to nodes.
Supermon or Allmon has nothing to do with direct control of Echolink.

With the app_rpt/Asllstar software an Echolink node rides on the back of a ASL node.
The allmon/supermon software allows you to issue the command for control of connections.
The actual connection process is made by the app_rpt/ASL software, no matter how you issued the command.

As far as this connection…

Know that Echolink only allows one node to register from any one IP address.
So, this may be an issue depending on your config?
Different devices on the same internet backbone/IP will not work.

I should add that through app_rpt/ASL, a prefix is added to indicate an ‘echolink’ connection and
that prefix is a “3” in front of the EL node number.

Perhaps that will clarify things or make them less clear, but I’ll stop there and see where you are.

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your reply. I obviously don’t understand the AllStar system or its underpinning very well. Here is what I expected to happen. When I am running Supermon I seem to be able to connect to other nodes on the AllStar system simply by
typing in the node number and hitting the connect button. I thought that to connect to a station with a node on EchoLink, it would work the same way; in other words if I used the EchoLink number (possibly padded with zeros if needed) preceded by a 3, I would be able to make a connection in a similar fashion. That doesn’t seem to work which I guess clearly demonstrates my confusion/lack of understanding.

Thanks for you willingness to clarify this.

Steve
K8ZBE
umans@alum.mit.edu

FB Steve,

Well, lets start with what a correct looking connect command should look like (if I don’t typo)

*3  3  50178

So the’ star3’ thells the system to connect in transieve
(there is not connect for monitor in echolink/all fullduplex only allowed. You could use a 2 but will be a 3)

The next 3 tells the system it is a echolink connection
(3 is reserved for EL only, no ASL nodes start with 3)

The next numbers are just the EL node# without padding.

Now,
I don’t use supermon, so I can’t tell you what to do in that. But now you at least have what the structure of a EL connect looks like.

To disconnect specific EL node,

*1  3  123456

And just for the record, if you were entering these via dtmf, you do not need to pause where the spaces are and should not. Just placed them there for better understanding.
A continuous string is recommended with dtmf or command line.

Generally, I would say that use the connect mode within supermon,
and just pad the node number with a 3 prefix and you should be good to go.

With exception to the idea that if you are testing 2 of your own nodes that may be on the same IP address, it’s not going to work. So, try some other EL node and shut the other EL device ‘OFF’ that may conflict with your EL registrations. Most especially if it is a cellphone. Turn the phone off because by default, the program will run in the background and maintain registration. You can test with one of mine if you wish # 155783 which is connected to asl # 29999.

Thanks Mike. I had managed to connect to an EchoLink node using the dtmf tones following the rules as I understood them … your explanation is quite helpful as it solidifies my understanding as well as straightens out my misunderstanding of the need for padding. I guess at this point I will play a bit more with Supercom … mostly because understanding it is an interesting challenge … but, in the mean time, depend on tones to access EchoLink nodes.

My understanding is, AllstarLink connects using a peer-to-peer protocol, whereas EchoLink connects through servers. IOW, the leading 3 in the EchoLink “node” number you wish to connect tells Asterisks to connect through an EchoLink server from your EchoLink server list in the .config file.

Bob
K6ECM

Also, AllstarLink automatically updates the node addresses on your system in file ./var/lib/asterisk/rpt_extnodes to facilitate peer-to-peer connections.

Bob
K6ECM

Steve,
If you are using supermon to connect to other echolink nodes,
first make sure the ports 5198-5200 are forwarded.
use the digit 3 to indicate echolink and pad with zeros to form a 7 digit number, example: you want the echolink parrot node 9999 . you would enter 3009999.
If echolink is working with touchtones then the sentence above is all you need.
Mike (N3IDS)