DTMF number 3 Problem

We recently installed AllStar on an old PC. At present we have a 10 year old Motorola 2M Radius radio connected to the AllStar PC via a custom cable and URI. The radio was tuned by a professional with tuning equipment according to the AllStar instructions. We can RX well and can TX voice well on all radios. Now the problem. Some radios (Yaesu & Icon) can send any DTMF number combination and works flawlessly. However some other radios like the Wouxun can send any number but the number "3" key successfully. For instance *81 gives us the time successfully but 3 used in any string doesn't work. I have modified only two usbradio.conf settings:

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Is there another setting that might help in the usbrdio.conf or any other config file? Can anyone help? It is a young ARC and most members use a Wouxon HT.

Thanks in advance,

George

wouxuns are kind of notorious for poor DTMF encoding, levels, etc. for the price, kind of to be expected. YGWYPF.

i'm thinking the motos were set up to put cor, etc out in hardware. your changes told asterisk to ignore the hardware signals. put them back the way they were working before you fiddled with them, and i'm thinking you'll be fine, cheap chinese HTs notwithstanding.

···

--
Bryan
Sent from my iPhone 5...small
keyboard, big fingers...please
forgive misspellings...

On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:42, George Zolla <gazolla@san.rr.com> wrote:

We recently installed AllStar on an old PC. At present we have a 10 year old Motorola 2M Radius radio connected to the AllStar PC via a custom cable and URI. The radio was tuned by a professional with tuning equipment according to the AllStar instructions. We can RX well and can TX voice well on all radios. Now the problem. Some radios (Yaesu & Icon) can send any DTMF number combination and works flawlessly. However some other radios like the Wouxun can send any number but the number "3" key successfully. For instance *81 gives us the time successfully but 3 used in any string doesn't work. I have modified only two usbradio.conf settings:

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Is there another setting that might help in the usbrdio.conf or any other config file? Can anyone help? It is a young ARC and most members use a Wouxon HT.

Thanks in advance,

George

I have difficulty getting my Wouxun radios to send tones that can be decoded on my repeater, unless I do the sequences long and slow.

Matt Roberts
n9gmr@me.com
Call Sign N9GMR
Allstar 28142
EchoLink 640860

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:42 AM, George Zolla <gazolla@san.rr.com> wrote:

We recently installed AllStar on an old PC. At present we have a 10 year old Motorola 2M Radius radio connected to the AllStar PC via a custom cable and URI. The radio was tuned by a professional with tuning equipment according to the AllStar instructions. We can RX well and can TX voice well on all radios. Now the problem. Some radios (Yaesu & Icon) can send any DTMF number combination and works flawlessly. However some other radios like the Wouxun can send any number but the number "3" key successfully. For instance *81 gives us the time successfully but 3 used in any string doesn't work.

Be sure to turn on the RX PL filter. In usbradio.conf add plfilter=yes

If you haven't already do a asterisk -rvvv and then watch the touchtones being decoded.

···

--
Tim
:wq

On Mar 9, 2013, at 8:42 AM, George Zolla <gazolla@san.rr.com> wrote:

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

Bryan,

Unfortunately when I return the setting to the default:

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

I can receive or TX. Also some additional information from the operator:

“Yaesu did not work. TYT worked. ICOM HT worked…don’t know about the mobile…And the Wouxun works well with other DTMF systems on Taos Ski Valley and NM Mega-Link…could be a wouxun problem, but don’t think so.”

Your response and any other ideas are appreciated,

George

K6GAZ

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 8:55 AM, “Bryan D. Boyle” bdboyle@bdboyle.com wrote:

wouxuns are kind of notorious for poor DTMF encoding, levels, etc. for the price, kind of to be expected. YGWYPF.

i’m thinking the motos were set up to put cor, etc out in hardware. your changes told asterisk to ignore the hardware signals. put them back the way they were working before you fiddled with them, and i’m thinking you’ll be fine, cheap chinese HTs notwithstanding.

Bryan
Sent from my iPhone 5…small
keyboard, big fingers…please
forgive misspellings…

On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:42, George Zolla gazolla@san.rr.com wrote:

We recently installed AllStar on an old PC. At present we have a 10 year old Motorola 2M Radius radio connected to the AllStar PC via a custom cable and URI. The radio was tuned by a professional with tuning equipment according to the AllStar instructions. We can RX well and can TX voice well on all radios. Now the problem. Some radios (Yaesu & Icon) can send any DTMF number combination and works flawlessly. However some other radios like the Wouxun can send any number but the number “3” key successfully. For instance *81 gives us the time successfully but 3 used in any string doesn’t work. I have modified only two usbradio.conf settings:

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

App_rpt-users mailing list
App_rpt-users@ohnosec.org
ohnosec.org

Tim,

I have added the line plfilter = yes to the usbradio.conf. I believe one member of our team watched the touchtones being decoded but I will double check on that.

Thanks,

George
K6GAZ

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Tim Sawyer <tim.sawyer@me.com> wrote:

Be sure to turn on the RX PL filter. In usbradio.conf add plfilter=yes

If you haven't already do a asterisk -rvvv and then watch the touchtones being decoded.

--
Tim

On Mar 9, 2013, at 8:42 AM, George Zolla <gazolla@san.rr.com> wrote:

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

Correction:

I cannot TX or RX when I return to the default settings:

carrierfrom = dsp

ctcssfrom = dsp

Sorry about that.

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 9:41 AM, George Zolla gazolla@san.rr.com wrote:

Bryan,

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

“Yaesu did not work. TYT worked. ICOM HT worked…don’t know about the mobile…And the Wouxun works well with other DTMF systems on Taos Ski Valley and NM Mega-Link…could be a wouxun problem, but don’t think so.”

George

K6GAZ

i’m thinking the motos were set up to put cor, etc out in hardware. your changes told asterisk to ignore the hardware signals. put them back the way they were working before you fiddled with them, and i’m thinking you’ll be fine, cheap chinese HTs notwithstanding.

Bryan
forgive misspellings…

We recently installed AllStar on an old PC. At present we have a 10 year old Motorola 2M Radius radio connected to the AllStar PC via a custom cable and URI. The radio was tuned by a professional with tuning equipment according to the AllStar instructions. We can RX well and can TX voice well on all radios. Now the problem. Some radios (Yaesu & Icon) can send any DTMF number combination and works flawlessly. However some other radios like the Wouxun can send any number but the number “3” key successfully. For instance *81 gives us the time successfully but 3 used in any string doesn’t work. I have modified only two usbradio.conf settings:

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

While carrierfrom = dsp, ctcssfrom = dsp do the following:

asterisk –r

radio tune rxnoise

Does the system tell you success of failure?

If success do:

Key radio with correct CTCSS tone encoded and type:

radio tune rxtone

Does it say success or failure?

Please post results.

···

From: app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org] On Behalf Of George Zolla
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 12:54 PM
To: Bryan D. Boyle
Cc: John Wheatly; Chris Drummond; app_rpt-users@ohnosec.org; Wally Baker
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] DTMF number 3 Problem

Correction:

carrierfrom = dsp

ctcssfrom = dsp

Sorry about that.

Bryan,

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

George

K6GAZ

Bryan
forgive misspellings…

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

I too had this issue with a Wouxun at a repeater site and was scratching my head, until WB5UGT happened to look down at the deviation meter on my service monitor and told me to look for myself. Sure enough, upon pressing a DTMF key, the deviation meter shot to the far right and hit the pin on the 6 KHz scale. So, the first few milliseconds of DTMF blow out of the pass band, before calming down and stabilizing. Several other hand helds worked fine with no issues.

N5ZUA

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan D. Boyle" <bdboyle@bdboyle.com>
To: "George Zolla" <gazolla@san.rr.com>
Cc: "John Wheatly" <taoswheat@gmail.com>; "Chris Drummond" <kc5izr@gmail.com>; <app_rpt-users@ohnosec.org>; "Wally Baker" <wallyb1511@msn.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 10:55 AM

i'm thinking the motos were set up to put cor, etc out in hardware. your changes told asterisk to ignore the hardware signals. put them back the way they were working before you fiddled with them, and i'm thinking you'll be fine, cheap chinese HTs notwithstanding.

--
Bryan
forgive misspellings...

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

Great idea! I had already se the carrier from = usbinvert and ctcssfrom = no before we ran the tune checks.

I will ask the radio technician on site to redo the test. (I am offsite)

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:46 AM, "Scott Weis" <kb2ear@kb2ear.net> wrote:

asterisk –r
radio tune rxnoise

If success do:

radio tune rxtone

Please post results.

From: app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org] On Behalf Of George Zolla

Correction:

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

Sorry about that.

On Mar 9, 2013, at 9:41 AM, George Zolla <gazolla@san.rr.com> wrote:

Bryan,

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

"Yaesu did not work. TYT worked. ICOM HT worked...don't know about the mobile...And the Wouxun works well with other DTMF systems on Taos Ski Valley and NM Mega-Link...could be a wouxun problem, but don't think so."

George
K6GAZ

On Mar 9, 2013, at 8:55 AM, "Bryan D. Boyle" <bdboyle@bdboyle.com> wrote:

--
Bryan
forgive misspellings...

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

The $50 radios tend to suffer from “Twist” when sending touchtones. Some don’t even have Pre/De on the transmit/receive audio!

Some manufactures think that 2Khz of deviation is OK, others think 6Khz is better.PL levels are all over the place too! I set my Motorola

stuff to 700Hz of PL deviation…seen some Baofengs doing 200Hz…another one was 1Khz of PL…

My though on this? set your system up with a REAL RADIO.Tell the ching-chong, bing bong (with eggroll) radio owners to GET THEM TUNED UP AND ALIGNED…

Why butcher your system to accept their substandard emissions?

Kirk

···

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM, George Zolla gazolla@san.rr.com wrote:

Great idea! I had already se the carrier from = usbinvert and ctcssfrom = no before we ran the tune checks.

On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:46 AM, “Scott Weis” kb2ear@kb2ear.net wrote:

asterisk –r

radio tune rxnoise

If success do:

radio tune rxtone

Please post results.

From: app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org] **On Behalf Of **George Zolla

Correction:

carrierfrom = dsp

ctcssfrom = dsp

Sorry about that.

Bryan,

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

George

K6GAZ

Bryan
forgive misspellings…

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

Thanks of everyone’s inputs on this problem an insight into the Wouxun HT problems. For reveiw I have been helping a young ARC install an AllStar system (a couple of states away form my location). Since it is not feasible for everyone to buy a new HT, we have decided to change out the radio to an Alinco DR-135 which I own and works with Wouxun HTs on my AllStar site.

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Kirk Just Kirk wb6egr@gmail.com wrote:

The $50 radios tend to suffer from “Twist” when sending touchtones. Some don’t even have Pre/De on the transmit/receive audio!
Some manufactures think that 2Khz of deviation is OK, others think 6Khz is better.PL levels are all over the place too! I set my Motorola

stuff to 700Hz of PL deviation…seen some Baofengs doing 200Hz…another one was 1Khz of PL…

My though on this? set your system up with a REAL RADIO.Tell the ching-chong, bing bong (with eggroll) radio owners to GET THEM TUNED UP AND ALIGNED…

Kirk

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM, George Zolla gazolla@san.rr.com wrote:

On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:46 AM, “Scott Weis” kb2ear@kb2ear.net wrote:

asterisk –r

radio tune rxnoise

If success do:

radio tune rxtone

Please post results.

From: app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org] **On Behalf Of **George Zolla

Correction:

carrierfrom = dsp

ctcssfrom = dsp

Sorry about that.

Bryan,

carrierfrom = dsp
ctcssfrom = dsp

George

K6GAZ

Bryan
forgive misspellings…

carrierfrom = usbinvert
ctcssfrom = no

When I change to:

ctcssfrom = dsp

we can neither TX or RX.

Thanks in advance,

George

Thank you, Kirk...

<soapbox>
Which is part of the image problem we hams sometimes suffer from...accepting 'good enough' or hacking things together to 'just make it work' because the alternative is to hold cheap vendors' feet (or our fellow hams') feet to the fire to actually set things up the way that agreed-upon best practices have developed.

IMHO, and this is based on years of experience in the broadcast engineering, communications systems (telco, RF, and IP), and our hobby...it's the responsibility of the service provider (in this case, we repeater owners) to build a system that meets the standards of the service. If the end user (ie cheap ham with a throw-away radio) is not able to use a standard-compliant system, it's NOT UP TO THE PROVIDER to degrade the common system to account for the junk that's trying to use it. It's up to the end user to ensure compatibility...as long as the core system is doing what it's supposed to...no one likes to be told that their equipment is not working properly...but, if it isn't...then it isn't. It's not personal.

Seems to me, whether it's either a young or long-in-the-tooth ham club, this is an opportunity for both a teaching moment and a chance to do a maintenance session. Find someone with a good, compliant SM, sig gen, maybe a scope, set a time, and have a 'tune up' session at a common location. Adjust deviation, PL injection, etc. Teach WHY it's important that these things are done. Show WHY when things are aligned properly the system works better. Show HOW all the parameters interact. Teach good procedure. The results will be worth it. We've shot ourselves in the foot with appliance radios (I offered, a couple years ago, to host anyone that wanted to use my second HF rig in the shack to do a multiple op session for a QSO party...the fact that my radios have the dreaded "tune" and "load" knobs kept all but the gray hairs away...most of the folks in the club had NEVER tuned a rig the way a deity intended...content with twisting in a frequency, pushing a 'tune' button, letting the relays chatter...and happily keying the mic...); but behind those appliances, there are still controls that need be set properly if it's expected that good results are attained.

You can't get around crappy design (no pre/de? Yikes. Value engineering at its worst) or basic instability (I note, with amusement, that the Kenyaecom rigs never seem, as a whole, to have these problems ...but then, you DO get what you pay for...). But, within the limits of these throw-aways, you can improve them just by opening them up, injecting a signal, and tweaking as needed (as long as you have the service manuals..) to bring them into compliance with the standards of our service.

Full disclosure: I own Alincos, Jetstreams, Wouxuns, Baofengs, Motorolas, Kenwoods, etc. All of them have been opened on the bench, run through the SM drill, and work/sound just fine...I don't know anyone in my circle who has ever said anything other than 'those things sound great...'. Heck, with a Wouxun KG1 @5W and an external triband antenna on my car, being fed with RG142, I was talking on a machine Thursday last from 40 miles away...machine in central NJ, me in and out of tree lines in Bucks Cnty PA on the other side of the Delaware...noisy, but 100% copyable...which would not be the case if it hadn't been set up on the bench for deviation, PL level, frequency, and power). So, it can be done. Just takes a little time and effort...and my repeaters are set up, on the hardware side, with an SM and sig gen...the results speak for themselves.

I know we work on gentleman's agreements as to what compliance means. Doesn't mean we should not have, as a goal, doing the best we can. We bitch and moan when people deviate too far from good operating procedure on the air...we should except no less from expectations about how the equipment is working, either.

</soapbox>

···

On Mar 9, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Kirk Just Kirk <wb6egr@gmail.com> wrote:

The $50 radios tend to suffer from "Twist" when sending touchtones. Some don't even have Pre/De on the transmit/receive audio!
stuff to 700Hz of PL deviation..seen some Baofengs doing 200Hz..another one was 1Khz of PL...
My though on this? set your system up with a REAL RADIO.Tell the ching-chong, bing bong (with eggroll) radio owners to GET THEM TUNED UP AND ALIGNED.....

--
Bryan WB0YLE
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.

So, you’re going to use one piece of crap radio to make another piece of crap radio work?

···

Tim

On Mar 10, 2013, at 8:45 PM, George Zolla gazolla@san.rr.com wrote:

Thanks of everyone’s inputs on this problem an insight into the Wouxun HT problems. For reveiw I have been helping a young ARC install an AllStar system (a couple of states away form my location). Since it is not feasible for everyone to buy a new HT, we have decided to change out the radio to an Alinco DR-135 which I own and works with Wouxun HTs on my AllStar site.

I mentioned a week ago that I was helping a friend in another state set up an AllStar site for his ARC. Everything went well but the Wouxun HTs number 3 DTMF code was not begin accepted. We were using a 10 year old Motorola 2M radio and homemade cable to a URI. We kept testing and found that the Wouxuns DTMF 3 worked on local EchoLink node and later found out that a couple Yeasu HTs number 3 DTMF code did not work either. I use a n Alinco DR-135 . It is rock solid and works with my Wouxun.

Solution: We replaced the Motorola radio and cable with an Alinco DR-135 and a cable specifically designed for the Alinco from Marshall’s “URI AllStar Link Cables”. It took about three minutes to witch out the new equipment then every radio worked perfectly. All we had to do was run the radio-tune-menu to increase the audio and we are completely up running for both an AllStar and EchoLink node.

I do not doubt your experience with the quality issues of the better brands over the Wouxun but for a young club and me personally I don’t know if I would have gotten into the HAM business had it not been for the availability of an inexpensive starter HT.

George K6GAZ

···

On Mar 11, 2013, at 7:15 AM, Tim Sawyer tim.sawyer@me.com wrote:

So, you’re going to use one piece of crap radio to make another piece of crap radio work?

Tim

On Mar 10, 2013, at 8:45 PM, George Zolla gazolla@san.rr.com wrote:

ohnosec.org

Running into this issue. Out of 5 radios only 2 work which are Yaesu FT-60 and FT-8800. I am using a Motorola GR1225/70cm radio for node radio.

These radios are no go on #3 DTMF:
Connect Sysytems CS-750
BTech UV-5X3
Anytone TERMNTR

DTMF digit 3 and 5 are notorious problem children when it comes to twist. In addition to the other excellent comments, I’d check your audio for twist (difference in level between the high and low tone groups)

I don’t know the method for checking the hi/low tone group level differences. The manufacturer Connect Systems suggests the issue is w ASL decoder.
If anyone has a CS-750 can you verify DTMF #3 is problematic?
Clifford

Well tonight I had a friend here with an Anytone 878 FM/DMR HT. I asked to try the DTMF and before he programmed it I went to show him the issue and EVERY ONE of my radios worked flawlessly controlling via DTMF! I have not changed anything aside from maybe running an upgrade/update routing on the node. Happy they now work but still a mystery.

SOLUTION for my DTMF issue-
Turns out I had “deemphasis” set to NO in simpleusb.conf
I had recently set it to YES after someone wiser heard my audio and said it sounded thin and that I might check this setting. Today I toggled it and tested and indeed was the cause of the DTMF decode issue. Now ALL of my radios work perfectly sending #3 and all others to the node. A bit surprised I have not seen this mentioned as a possible cause/solution elsewhere.
Clifford - Kk6QMS