DTFM Tones Not Being Read Correctly

I am using an Anytone D878UV transceiver to connect to a repeater with a URI node. When looking at the CLI DTMF display the numbers are not being displayed correctly as I enter them on the handheld keypad. And at times the number is skipped over. SimplueUSB tune is set to the correct gain level. DTMF speed is set to 100 ms.

I will say that most having this issue are a direct result of improper audio settings.

I can only add the you need to be weary of what you are testing with. These inexpensive Asian built units are not a good representation of a quality standard.

First I would test with a better radio in sending the tones, and then you are left with fudging audio levels to compensate for poor dtmf levels. Which by the way are normally a different setting in the radio for the exact level transmitted.

If you are confident in your audio settings, I would look to adjust the radio DTMF level because adjusting levels at the node input have an effect on the network audio as well.

Thank you for the reply Mike. I have switched to an Alinco DR-135 I have adjusted the gain to 5 KHz. Entering the *3+node number, the DTMF tone do not register at all on CLI, but I hear the tones.

There are plenty of potential factors that could be at play here and I am sure I can’t remember them all or even know them all.
But a run through what I feel may have a fair possibility.

The receiver on your node may not be right on frequency. Or it’s bandwidth may be narrowly askew.
You might even check that as many new radios do have 2.5k setting.

Think of the result if you node radio was low in freq and you test ht is a shade high would be just enough to stop proper decoding.

Guessing you do not have the equipment to really look at that as most of us do not,
I would re-run the audio test and if you have similar result, test with a new/different node radio.

Also,
Be sure in what ever way you can to sink any RF off of your audio lines.
Understanding that your set-up may not be very friendly to shielding, you may try to choke or use a capacitor on the line.

You are in front of it, not me. Take your time and think on the possibilities, it will come to ya.
If you are like me, it’s always the last thing you try LOL

You just have to rule them out one at a time when you dont have the equipment to test it right.

But let me know how far that gets you. Perhaps I or someone will think of something else.

Just do not make the mistake many do and adjust other parameters without just cause.
It is at it’s core, an audio issue.

I have switched again to an Yaesu FT-65 and have programmed in the DTMF using autodial. When executing the autodial and sending *32560 (Los Angeles hub), CLI displays 3322. The dialer is set for 750 ms with a delay of 100 ms. I have tried other combinations for the autodialer but it doesn’t make any difference. Manual dialing presents the same problem. So I have tried three different radios with all the same results and SimpleUSB tune set fo 500 KHz for each radio.

I think your issue in in the node rx.
But looking back at this again…

This is likely to hot of audio on the rx.

To weak and it would likely display nothing. To hot and the distortions read DTMF incorrectly.

Does your URI have a setting for that rx audio level.

I ran into that problem when i first set up my node…its all about setting the receive level in the simple USB…took a few trys but works great now…

1 Like

Mike and N7COX, thank you for your replies. I have tried many various setting for RX gain from 400 to 700 and every setting in between. I have also experimented changing de-emphasis from NO to YES and PLfilter from NO to YES. Setting these both to YES one at a time did not work, so I have returned both of these parameters to NO. The URI data sheet specifies the following:

1. Run simpleusb-tune-menu Application
  2. Set RX level (adjust using the on screen meter for in between 3 and 5 KHz of deviation)
  3. Set Transmit A Level (Set for 3 KHz deviation for 1000 hz tone)
  4. Set Transmit B to level 0
    B) Toggle RX Boost Mode (Currently Enabled, you may not need to enable RX boost)
    I) Toggle PTT Mode (Currently Active Low)
    J) Change COSFORM Mode (Currently “usbinvert”)
    PERSONAL NOTE: (I don’t see any parameter “COSFORM”) What is this?
    L) Change CTCSSFORM Mode (Currently "no’)
    N) Change RXONDELAY (Currently “3”)

As you can see, with all the errors noted above, it’s difficult to understand what he is talking about. Hopefully, he will correct this in the near future. Your thoughts?

James

James,
Can you say the version of software you are using and the model of your URI

I believe the instructions are due for updating.

The RPI is running ASL Beta v6. There is no firmware ID on the URI but the part number is 9170. I have experimented with several settings using autodialing DTMF codes with a delay of 500 ms before transmission and a 250 ms spacing between sending numbers has some success but looking at the CLI output some number are missing and/or are double characters and the 9 and 8 numbers never appear in CLI.

I was kinda trying to get the brand and model of your URI exposed so that someone who might be using the same could relate to it in some way and perhaps help.

Is it a model that is made somewhat plug and play for the radio you are using ?
Or perhaps a home brew ?

Personally, I do not use them. I always have been PC/Parallel port. So it’s hard for me to get very specific.

But, you do need to understand the definitions of the settings you are changing.
deemphasis = no ; enable de-emphasis (input from discriminator)

If you are not using discriminator audio, this should be set to NO
And I can’t answer that. That goes to the heart of your URI and where it is getting audio from the radio.
It has a big impact if it is wrong.

Take a little time and try to get your settings correct by first understanding what they are.
Because if you keep flipping settings around you might just pass over the correct solution from one other bad setting.

I have no way of knowing what they should be. It is specific to the above mentioned.

The node is an URBxB with eeprom and is fairly simple to set up so I would say plug n’ play. Not into homebrew or kits, no time for it. I have been talking to Ken at Arcom for his assistance. I have tried 5 different handlhelds transceiver all of good quailty such as Icom, Yaesu and Anytone. The problem must with the RC-210 controller not receiving the DTMF commands.

There are commonly two causes of poor DTMF decoding. The first one is caused by CTCSS. Be sure to enable the PL filter in simpleusb.conf. The other problem is less common but be sure to use the correct deemphasis. You should have it on if taking discriminator Rx audio, off otherwise. I guess there’s a third possible cause. Be sure you set the Rx level correctly with simpleusb-tune-menu?

wd6awp, Thank you for your help. For reasons unknown, I tried enabling the plfilter before and it didn’t work. I have tried enabling it again and now DTMF commands are working. Perhaps I didn’t reboot the system before; I don’t remember. In any event, the problem is solved. Thank you again. James

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.