Do I actually Need DTMF?

Stick with me on this one as I am just trying to figure out (A) if my idea is even possible and (B) looking for a steer where to go in the overall ASL3 package to achieve it.
Okay so obviously I can control a Shari node attached to my pi4 running ASL3 by sending DTMF tones using RF from my hand-held to the SHARI. Alternatively I can control the node directly from the ASL3 web interface by putting the Raspberry pi4 IP into my web browser.
So my thought process is wondering if I create a simple HMI file for a Nextion touch screen and connect it to the same Raspberry pi using a USB - TTL Serial adapter, can I send the appropriate command to the node much like the ASL3 web interface does?
Assuming it is in theory doable, what area of the ASL3 package should I be looking too code the Nextion screen to address, Allmon3, Asterisk, etc?

At a high level, you’d need to write a running daemon to read I2C commands coming off the Nextion screen and then feed those into the Asterisk AMI interface. It’s doable, but there’s no premade or 90% solution that exists for that right now.

1 Like

If you’re not committed to using Nextion, a simpler method may be to add the desktop UI to the Pi version and run a browser in kiosk (full screen) mode. You can then use standard html pages as your touchscreen GUI. I did that years ago for a radioless node that has the Pi 7" touchscreen attached. I used Allmon2 as the basis for it and will update it to Allmon3 at some point.

1 Like

It took me a few days, but I have added a screen saver, plus the ability to add/edit buttons directly on the nextion screen.

Video of my AllstarLink screen.