DISREGARD isolated problem see new topic

i have a simplex node connected to my repeater, however, when i turn it on, it keys up over and over, apparently it is hearing my courtesy tone.

is there any way to stop that issue?

So you are using a Node with a radio that sends the Signal up to the repeater site then listens to the repeater to send down the internet?
You need to configure the repeater NO Courtesy Tone, NO Tail Time, NO CW ID.
Then the Node set for Half Duplex it will ID the repeater and do courtesy tones.
If you do not do this then all the Node gets sent out to whoever you are connected to.

So if I don’t so that the node will always send the tones?

I’m not sure I want to remove my CT and hang timers from the repeater.

Hi. To use a remote node on a repeater, what you have to do is make sure the repeater only encodes CTCSS during user input. If you do this, you can retain courtesy tones, tails, and IDs and the repeater will sound normal to the users.

From the node point of view, you can remove, or retain, its courtesy tone to tell repeater users that the node is there.

One potential issue with keeping the node courtesy tone is, a droppy user (mobile, HT) CAN cause the node to key as the user drops (it can’t distinguish a genuine end of transmission from a drop). To mitigate this, set RXONDELAY in SimpleUSB, with the tradeoff that users must hold PTT for that second until the node notices start of signal.

To recap:

Your repeater MUST encode ONLY when a user is on. This is non-negotiable.

You CAN have all normal tones, tails and IDs on the repeater

You COULD have node courtesy tones also BUT you might need to either:

Give up node courtesy tones OR
Set RXONDELAY to about a second IF the node radio doesn’t respond to loss of CTCSS very snappy.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. I’ll be in the lobby afterwards for autographs and selfies.

-Pres W2PW