Courtesy tones help

Hi all i am trying to configure some courtesy tone timings.

Local rf courtesy tones i have got as a triple tone like
Boop be doop sound and the a series of single tail tones boop boop boop boop
Around 3 second spacings

What im trying to do is… when the CT sounds and when local rf is then present again and the CT is still running the CT stops…

I cannot work out why i cant get it to stop.

Any help please

The way I understand the code, the CT instructions are hard coded beyond what is allowed in rpt.conf structure. When a CT is sent go the cue to play over the air, there no provisions to stop its playing. IOW the reason it can’t be reset is simply because there are no provisions beyond what is structured in the user editable file rpt.conf.

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

You may be able to compensate using politeid=

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Rpt.conf#telemdefault.3D

Bob
K6ECM

If I understand you correctly…
I would say choose a shorter CT.
Because once it starts to play, it will play until finished.
It is ‘not interruptible’.
But perhaps I am not understanding the issue as you described.

After giving this some additional thought, I can see if you had a long CT, it could be an issue as most of us are or have been accustom to waiting for the CT before keying.

But on a network condition, not everyone’s CT is going to be the same.
So, in the mind of the user on some other node where the CT is not as long, he did wait long enough.
I think your only answer is to get on the beaten path for CT length.

You can set the long CT you want without issue for the condition when you are not network connected and use a shorter CT when you are. See CT’s in the wiki.
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Courtesy_Tones

ok Bob and Mike thank’s for the help that does explain why i can’t find a way around it…
the way i was wanting it to work was the CT sounds and anywhere in the CT playing if a user keyed locally or via inet it stopped the CT until the next time the CT send’s if no one key’s the CT complete’s

what i was trying to do was have a short i.e K tone the a series of short beeps until the hang timer ended and repeater went back to standby

thanks anyhow guy’s

regards sean M0OEG

If the repeater is full duplex (and why wouldn’t it be?) it doesn’t how long the CT or hangtimer is. The user can always key on top of it.

hi Tim yes the user can tx on top of the CT and it continues i just wondered if i could get the CT to stop as soon as a user transmits either local into rf repeater or via the net remote…

Hi Sean,

I’ve been working on the ASL code base to add “UK style” features for a while. I currently have a pull request in that enables a true “UK style” keychunk filter.

I’m waiting for feedback/PR acceptance before I tackle other features.

One of the “planned” (and I use that term loosely) features is tail pips. I think this is what you’re wanting from Allstar? It’s good to know there is a “need” for the feature.

If I am reading his text correctly,
He is asking for the CT to cancel if, after the start of it, a user keys and talks.
But the CT will continue until finished.

But the CT is not set up for this like idtalkover is.

Am I reading this correct?

I understand now. Courtesy tones are not designed to be stoped ones they start. Tail messages will do that but not sure that’s fit for your needs. Here’s the docs… Rpt.conf - AllStarLink Wiki

Ok guys i will try to elaborate some more.

Think of the repeater CT being a simple series of beeps 2 seconds apart
Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Whilst the repeater hang timer or say 10 seconds is running

So a Scenario.

Qso on repeater

Station 1 keys speaks then dekeys.

CT beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

However station 2 keys before the CT finishes say after the first beep.

Currently configured ASL is if station 2 keys the CT will continue regardless of any received rf signal or network transmission mixed with the audio

What im trying to get to happen is

Staion 1 keys speaks dekeys

CT beep. Beep. And then station 2 replies before the CT ends and instead of the CT continuing it stops and does not mix with audio it just halts.
Until station 2 dekeys and

CT Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

So on and so forth.

When the qso ends the repeater Hangtimer holds repeater open CT finishes and repeater simply returns to standby…

Hi Sean,

I’ve been working on the ASL code base to add “UK style” features for a while. I currently have a pull request in that enables a true “UK style” keychunk filter.

I’m waiting for feedback/PR acceptance before I tackle other features.

One of the “planned” (and I use that term loosely) features is tail pips. I think this is what you’re wanting from Allstar? It’s good to know there is a “need” for the feature.

Just for reference you want what is known as “tail pips”.

Hi jim i think it will be a good idea and once its working i think many many users of asl will adapt it into there nodes…

I know the original asl was not intended but adapted to be used in amateur radio and as a controller. So i am and a probability others of the mentioned ideas you have coming to fruition

And yes thats right Tail pips.

Please keep us all in the loop jim

Regards sean