Connecting Nodes

David GD4HOZ wrote:

When I connect the virtual hub to another node and then key that node, when
I let go the button ...

David - GD4HOZ

Connecting nodes to a Hub ....
First since it is not driving anything can a Raspberry Pi act as a Hub running the current release of Asterisk (i.e. apt-get install asterisk) ? Or do I need to generate a Centos Based Hub, and where in the documentation is do ing so, I looked but haven't found that yet. If I can use a current version of Asterisk, rather than app_rpt how do I configure it?

Next how do I link nodes. Assume I have a hub with a node number of 1010 and three remote base stations with node numbers 1110, 1210, 1310. Assume I will be using the iaxrpt client. When I press transmit on the iaxrpt client I want the transmission to go out on the three nodes. If there is a transmission received on either 1110, 1210, or 1310 I want it to be received by the iaxrpt client, and transmitted out the other two nodes. I am not sure if I need the hub, as I was told that 1310 can attach to 1210, which can attach to 1110, and the iaxrpt client can attach to 1110 as well and it will all work. I haven't found the documentation on how to get nodes to attach to each other, or how to configure that.

I would very much appreciate someone pointing me to the right documentation so I can try to set things up.

Thanks in advance,

Barry, K0BSB

···

Sent from my iPad

I think I've read here on the list that Allstar will not run on Raspberry Pi.

As far as how nodes attach to each other, it's pretty simple. Every node can accept multiple connections so any node can be a central point of connection. You can daisy chain the connections like you mentioned or connect everything to one node including iaxRPT. It's completely flexible. A "hub" is just another node with no radio attached.

Connections are made with touch tones. The default install uses *3+nodeNumber to connect and *1+nodeNumber to disconnect. Nodes can be set up to automatically connect when they boot up. Asterisk has a CLI which can also be used to make connections. There are web based systems to control nodes, too. And yes, when nodes are connected all nodes can talk to each other and any connected clients including iaxRPT, the webTranceiver, or even telephones.

ohnosec.org/drupal in addition to the allstarlink.org site is a good place to start learning.

···

--
Tim
:wq

On Aug 6, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Barry Berg <phoggberg@gmail.com> wrote:

David GD4HOZ wrote:

When I connect the virtual hub to another node and then key that node, when
I let go the button ...

David - GD4HOZ

Connecting nodes to a Hub ....
First since it is not driving anything can a Raspberry Pi act as a Hub running the current release of Asterisk (i.e. apt-get install asterisk) ? Or do I need to generate a Centos Based Hub, and where in the documentation is do ing so, I looked but haven't found that yet. If I can use a current version of Asterisk, rather than app_rpt how do I configure it?

Next how do I link nodes. Assume I have a hub with a node number of 1010 and three remote base stations with node numbers 1110, 1210, 1310. Assume I will be using the iaxrpt client. When I press transmit on the iaxrpt client I want the transmission to go out on the three nodes. If there is a transmission received on either 1110, 1210, or 1310 I want it to be received by the iaxrpt client, and transmitted out the other two nodes. I am not sure if I need the hub, as I was told that 1310 can attach to 1210, which can attach to 1110, and the iaxrpt client can attach to 1110 as well and it will all work. I haven't found the documentation on how to get nodes to attach to each other, or how to configure that.

I would very much appreciate someone pointing me to the right documentation so I can try to set things up.

Thanks in advance,

Barry, K0BSB
Sent from my iPad

Hi Tim, I dont know if this is a relevant question on this topic, but I was searching for “cannot connect to SOME nodes” and cant find any.

My question is what else is the problem, or what am I missing if I cannot connect to SOME Nodes after updating ./astdb.php? I have a server (lets name it server 1) that can connect to 50802 two days ago, but it crashed so I recover tru my Dec 21 back up. But after the recovery and updated the astdb.php, I still cannot connect to Node 50802. Oh I tested my other server 2 and it connected to Node 50802 with also an updated astdb.php.

Is there any files I need to update? Please help

KC1JFN

Just so you know that you are re-exciting a decade old post.

But to offer some help on your particular dilemma,
You might try
systemctl restart updatenodelist

The nodeslist of registered nodes is found in /var/lib/asterisk
so if you take a peek at it before running that command and see the date/timestamp of the file to see when it last updated. If it is more than 30 minutes old, it likely has been stuck for whatever reason and need restarting.

If it is a persistent issue, you may want to issue a command every 12-8 hours in your crontab.
25 20 * * * root systemctl restart updatenodelist

For you to connect to a node, the node data in the file must be up to date.

updatenodelist is up to date and updating.

Does the Node 50802 that I am trying to connect must have their astdb.php updated to? I ask this question because my other back up Server that can connect to that Node 50802 before can still get connected.

Anthony

Connection functionality is from /var/lib/asterisk/rpt_extnodes

So, yes, every node that wants to connect on the network will need to look in that file for connection info which is only from current registered nodes.
So, if a node is not in the list, you may not initiate a connection.

One the other side of that connection, if an incoming connection does not show on the list, the connection is not accepted/permitted. That is pure security. And believe me when I say it is completely necessary.

While I could be wrong, I believe the current registration updates every 10-20 minutes.

A quick look in the file will reveal just what is going on…
Because many users are not on static ip addresses, meaning the ip changes from time to time, your registration and subsequent updates will keep the connection info fresh. And not all of us are using the same udp port for iax for various reasons of need.

Your connection attempt uses that info for a direct connection between your node and the node you want to connect to. If it is missing or out of date, it’s not going to work as intended. That would hold true the same to the intended conectee as well and you do not often have control of that side of the equation.