Configure Static wlan0 IP in Archlinux distribution

Hello all,

So I have looked high and low for how to configure a STATIC IP address on my allstarlink node.
Many describe the package provided by hamvoip as a totally separate package, but, if you click on the download link on the allstarlink.org it downloads the hamvoip.org archlinux package with of course allstarlinkl config files and scripts.

My biggest challenge has been to find “decent” how to(s) for archlinux allstar link node configs…seen the archlinux config docs do not appear to apply in our evironment;
For example in the archlinux wiki one goes to /etc/netctl and creates (in my case) a wlan0 config file and in it place the static parameter for the interface and then the desired IP address based on ones router subnet definition.
My downloaded package is for a Raspberry Pi install.
But in the allstarlink distribution this does not appear to be possible and the menu interface that is presented after the node is loged into has a method to configure a ether static, but not a Wlan static.

How and where is the config file for a wlan device configured? In the supplicant the WiFi info is recorded…is that where the “static” parameter and IP need to be placed?
Where can one find instructions on WiFi device configuration for these builds.

Many thanks to a proper pointer on where to read or how to accomplish this feat.

Thanks
Adriano (KV7D)

1 Like

Hi,

ArchLinux is using networkd (a systemd component). To configure static WiFi addresses, go to the folder: /etc/systemd/network and modify the file: wlan0.network similarly to:

[root@repeater-146820 /]# cd /etc/systemd/network/
[root@repeater-146820 network]# ls
eth0.network wlan0.network
[root@repeater-146820 network]# cat wlan0.network
[Match]
Name=wlan0
[Network]
DHCP=no
DNS=127.0.0.1
Address=192.168.124.82/24
Gateway=192.168.124.1

73, David KB4FXC

1 Like

Many thanks David,

Adriano

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both.

···

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 3:55:31 PM EDT, David McGough via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| David_McGough
July 11 |

• | - |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Adriano,

I am not sure what is going on with your install.

As a correction to your post so that there is no misinformation or confusion.

There is no link on the allstarlink.org site to download the HV archlinux package. I am kind of scratching my head at that comment.

The only download links provided on the allstarlink.org webpage are for open source software.

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Adriano Marcuz via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 12:30 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] Configure Static wlan0 IP in Archlinux distribution

|

kv7d
July 11

|

• | - |

Hello all,

So I have looked high and low for how to configure a STATIC IP address on my allstarlink node.
Many describe the package provided by hamvoip as a totally separate package, but, if you click on the download link on the allstarlink.org it downloads the hamvoip.org archlinux package with of course allstarlinkl config files and scripts.

My biggest challenge has been to find “decent” how to(s) for archlinux allstar link node configs…seen the archlinux config docs do not appear to apply in our evironment;
For example in the archlinux wiki one goes to /etc/netctl and creates (in my case) a wlan0 config file and in it place the static parameter for the interface and then the desired IP address based on ones router subnet definition.
My downloaded package is for a Raspberry Pi install.
But in the allstarlink distribution this does not appear to be possible and the menu interface that is presented after the node is loged into has a method to configure a ether static, but not a Wlan static.

How and where is the config file for a wlan device configured? In the supplicant the WiFi info is recorded…is that where the “static” parameter and IP need to be placed?
Where can one find instructions on WiFi device configuration for these builds.

Many thanks to a proper pointer on where to read or how to accomplish this feat.

Thanks
Adriano (KV7D)

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

1 Like

Instead of hard coding a static IP on the device, it’s often easier and more flexible to create an IP reservation in your router. This gives you the consistency of a static IP without any changes on the client. Most newer routers support this.

1 Like

Afternoon KE6PCV, see how I got to the download link by following the paths described in the attached PDF,
in short though, in the ASL.org page I clicked on the distribution hyperlink, that took me to the WiKi page, then down on the download section I selected then Raspberry Pi link.

Not sure how I could’ve messed that up, but if I did it wrong please point me (as well as probably others) in the right direction.

V/R
Adriano (KV7D)

ASL download steps.pdf (108.7 KB)

1 Like

Adriano,

Just curious as to why you think that link downloads a Archlinux package.

It clearly states that it is a Debian Raspbian-Stretch package right on the image file name. :slight_smile:

I just downloaded it and installed on a micro SD card and booted on a Raspberry Pi and verified that it is NOT a Archlinux package.

Attached is the photo I took of the computer screen.

I am not sure how you got your wires crossed or confused at this. :slight_smile:

Marshall - ke6pcv

1 Like

Hey Marshall,

Have downloaded (as I showed in the captured shots), then copied them over to an SD card…other then that …have no more to report.

I don’t want this thread to become a “you did”. “you should’ve” kind of thing, so I will drop it.

I am VERY familiar with Debian, but what went on the SD from the download was definitely NOT Debian.

I would rather have Debian on the PI then anything else, believe me…will try to download again. Thank you

V/R
Adriano

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both.

···

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 4:32:37 PM EDT, Marshall Oldham via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| KE6PCV ASL Admin
July 14 |

• | - |

IMG_0791

1 Like

Hi Adriano,

Now I’m curious?? What was the download URL you used for the HamVoIP distro?? These are the primary download URLs, depending on whether you want to use a PC or Linux to load the SD cards:

https://hamvoip.org/RPi2/RPi2-3-4_V1.6-01_Allstar.exe
https://hamvoip.org/RPi2/RPi2-3-4_V1.6-01_Allstar.img.xz

Thanks,

73, David KB4FXC

1 Like

Adriano,

No worries, it was just odd to me that somehow you think you downloaded a Archlinux package from the ASL repository Raspberry Pi link on the wiki.allstgarlink.org page.

FYI, I followed your screen shots exactly as you documented.

I physically went through the process to make sure my statement was correct so no one gets confusing information.

I was not implying you should have done something wrong or should of done something else. We are all here to learn and for the hobby.

I just do not want other folks to be confused that read your post.

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Adriano Marcuz via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:03 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] Configure Static wlan0 IP in Archlinux distribution

|

kv7d
July 14

|

• | - |

Hey Marshall,

Have downloaded (as I showed in the captured shots), then copied them over to an SD card…other then that …have no more to report.

I don’t want this thread to become a “you did”. “you should’ve” kind of thing, so I will drop it.

I am VERY familiar with Debian, but what went on the SD from the download was definitely NOT Debian.

I would rather have Debian on the PI then anything else, believe me…will try to download again. Thank you

V/R
Adriano

··· (click for more details)

In Reply To

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
July 14

|

• | - |

Adriano, Just curious as to why you think that link downloads a Archlinux package. It clearly states that it is a Debian Raspbian-Stretch package right on the image file name. :slight_smile: I just downloaded it and installed on a micro SD card and booted on a Raspberry Pi and verified that it is…

Previous Replies

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
July 14

|

• | - |

Adriano,

Just curious as to why you think that link downloads a Archlinux package.

It clearly states that it is a Debian Raspbian-Stretch package right on the image file name. :slight_smile:

I just downloaded it and installed on a micro SD card and booted on a Raspberry Pi and verified that it is NOT a Archlinux package.

Attached is the photo I took of the computer screen.

I am not sure how you got your wires crossed or confused at this. :slight_smile:

Marshall - ke6pcv

IMG_0791

|

kv7d
July 14

|

• | - |

Afternoon KE6PCV, see how I got to the download link by following the paths described in the attached PDF,
in short though, in the ASL.org page I clicked on the distribution hyperlink, that took me to the WiKi page, then down on the download section I selected then Raspberry Pi link.

Not sure how I could’ve messed that up, but if I did it wrong please point me (as well as probably others) in the right direction.

V/R
Adriano (KV7D)

ASL download steps.pdf (108.7 KB)

|

WB6OZD
July 13

|

• | - |

Instead of hard coding a static IP on the device, it’s often easier and more flexible to create an IP reservation in your router. This gives you the consistency of a static IP without any changes on the client. Most newer routers support this.

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
July 11

|

• | - |

Adriano,

I am not sure what is going on with your install.

As a correction to your post so that there is no misinformation or confusion.

There is no link on the allstarlink.org site to download the HV archlinux package. I am kind of scratching my head at that comment.

The only download links provided on the allstarlink.org webpage are for open source software.

Marshall - ke6pcv

|

kv7d
July 11

|

• | - |

Many thanks David,

Adriano

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

Afternoon guys,

I successfully downloaded the Raspian Debian build (dunno what in the world happened before with the link taking me to download the Archlinux from Hamvoip, but all good now).

Have written it to a 16GB SD card and performed an initial node config/setup on it with a static LAN IP (will elaborate shortly on why).
Now my next task is to configure the node to capture the WAN IP from my ISP and E-Mail it to me. I know some will immediately ask why, the answer is that (unless I missed reading info on this) I need the WAN IP to SSH into the Pi and if the WAN IP changes and I’m not sent the new address, I’ll have to drive to the site and physically log in to get this info.

So:
In my current IRLP Debian node which this allstar will replace I capture the IP in a shell script via:
IP=$(dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com | head -1)
then I log it to a file for daily comparison; If the current WAN IP is different then the one stored, I E-Mail myself the new IP:
mail -s “Hillsborough IP Address is: $IP” de.kv7d@gmail.com <<< "Hillsborough IP: $IP Changed on: $MYDATE "
using postfix.

Can I use postfix without a FQN in allstarlink Debian build to perform this same task?
During the node base initial set-up I was prompted to enter a domain name (which I don’t have), so I left it blank.

Thank you for the information and thank you to the ones that questioned my previous post(s) do not have an answer for how and why the archlinux build was downloading.

73 for now,
Adriano