Concern about GMRS

I have to put my 2 cents in. After several people left Jasons network because of his foul mouth and attitude they asked if I could help them link a few radios. GMRS Live was born. It is modeled after Allstarlink. We have a registration server for GMRS and no connection to Allstarlink. That is all we supply. Users request nodes and create their own hubs and networks. If you want a hub, simplex, repeater or radioless node it is up to you. All the traffic you use is up to you. You control your own equipment. We do host a few hubs for users but all are encouraged to create their own. Just as in Allstar you can connect to any other node you please. We donā€™t force you into a big melting pot and your choice is listen to or turn it off. On OUR hubs we enforce a family atmosphere. If you create a hub it is entirely up to you to police its use. We have a few people that have created their own personal networks that the other users know nothing about. We have no fancy map that others can track you. We maintain a Supermon status page for OUR hosted hubs only. You maintain yours.
I have read a few of the comments saying they would like a hub so they could get their children involved, here it is. That they would like to tinker, here it is. Stop by and look. We donā€™t sell anything and donā€™t charge you to be a member. It is not for me. Our network is for the users.

GMRSLIVE.COM

Tony
K1TNY
WRAW556

4 Likes

Tony, I have a similar system setup here in the San Joaquin Valley of California. I looked around your website and noticed you have DNS setup for your usersā€™ nodes. I have DNS setup as well where users point to my registration server in iax.conf that allows any node to connect to any node instead of everybody connecting to a central hub. I have a guy here in Cali that owns a few GMRS repeater sites that we could maybe link to if you are interested. I am aiming towards a family friendly and kid friendly network as well unlike Jasonā€™s.

Bryson
K6BWY
WRBQ935

2 Likes

Hi Bryson,

Yes we have a registration server. If you or your friend wants to join our network you are more then welcome. If you were inquiring about linking the 2 networks together we would have to respectfully decline for security reasons.

We have numerous new features in the works and the network grows everyday.

I enjoy taking about the networks and what all they can do. Our support phone system is not up and running yet (still tweaking it).

Feel free to contact me at support@gmrslive.com

Tony

2 Likes

Unless I am reading the regulations incorrectly or donā€™t understand what remote means, networking isnā€™t allowed. 47 CFR Ā§ 95.1749 - GMRS network connection. | Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

Jim Dixon was actually going to set up a GMRS network for my son before he passed away. I believe Jim either misread the regulations or didnā€™t know about this one. That may be the reason he registered pttlink.org

1 Like

Its the same wording that is used for ham, you cant have it hooked up to a phone line to call directly.

I donā€™t believe that is accurate. Where does the Ham Radio CFR use the same language? For example, you can do an auto patch with ham radio. The only thing I couldnā€™t find in the CFR for GMRS was a definition of Remote Control.

Well, I canā€™t find it in Part 97. Maybe I was wrong, or maybe they took it out. Historically public switched network, is the same as public switched telephone network, or PSTN. The way I read this is that you are not allowed to hook it up to the phone. But I see no part that says you canā€™t link it to another repeater. I see no reason why they would ban it. But how do you interpret it? It would be nice if the FCC came out and said something on it, but their silence is almost a approval.

Now that a few years has past since the beginning of this post, all the backside hurt seems to be over and done with and several advancements have been made within the Amateur & GMRS two-way radio world, and many many have signed up at FCC for Amateur and GMRS licensing ā€” if the powers to be at the ASL world are still interested in working together to advance both the Amateur & GMRS with Asterisk and app_rpt, we at the USA GMRS Association would entertain discussions that would help bring that about. Iā€™m sure that both of us could and would benefit from such an adventure. If this sounds interesting and members of the ASl board desire to take this to the next step send me an email or give me a buzz. My information is on my website usagmrs.com. Thanks, William

1 Like