CM108 radio less node with ALS3

I am trying to setup a raspberry PI with a CM108 soundcard similar to the setup described on the website allstarsetup.com and I can hear traffic from nodes with active users but I am NOT able to make my “transmission” to go out? I have the node setup with the simpleusb-tune-menu application and when I push my PTT and have it showing the COS, CTCSS and PTT status - the COS changes from “Clear” to “Keyed”. I have also plugged the USB dongle into a Windows PC and I am able to record sounds from the attached microphone - so it feels like I have configured something wrong between the astrisk and the simplyUSB settings?

Try setting ctcssfrom in simpleusb_tune to “no”. It is set to usb invert by default.

Hmm - i just tried that and i’m still not “making it out”…
In the simpleusb-tune-menu tools “v” option - it shows this way while the node is idle:

when I press the PTT - it changes to:

Other than that - nothing changed by making the change as you suggested.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Are you running duplex=3

/etc/asterisk/rpt.conf

; duplex=3 - Full Duplex with telemetry tones
; and hang time, but no repeated audio. Often
; used for radio-less nodes.

Yes - its so odd… Is there anywhere in the logs for ASL that I can setup/look for anything that might help?
My node is set as “Radio interface:SimpleUSB” and “Duplex Type=3” with post status YES and Node access list: Open. If print the simpleusb parameters - they are:
Active Radio Interface: 62268 (my node)
Device String: 3-2:1.0
Card is 0
Rx Level 400
Tx A Level 100
Tx B Level 100

I think i’m going to make a U-tubie video documenting the configuration for this once I get it working…
Seems like there’s plenty documentation on how to mod/create the devices and how to “setup ASL” but not much about the configuration of the ASL vs device setup… :thinking:

We welcome all contributions to the ASL3-Manual source to improve the documentation. Getting started is simple.

1 Like

I was playing with my Radioless node and ASL3 today. While I was at it I took a couple of notes for you to compare. One thing I noticed was PTT does not key until the node plays the courtesy tone and the mode is different for this version. This video is very helpful for configuration and testing audio. It also gives a link for a parrot node in Plano TX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeuj-yI8qrU Option 2 of the simpleusb tune menu should give you an audio level from the mic. I did have to enable the RX boost. Hope this helps get you going.

You never did say what you were using for hardware.
73 Steve, KM5HT

The parrot in Plano is mine.
If you have to wait for a beep, then you most likely have your node set to duplex=1. For a radio-less node, you should use duplex=3.