Best Allstar computer?

K2ETS is running BOTH a 2M and 220 repeater on a Raspberry Pi-3B. I hear audio hiccups quite a bit. I think a more robust computer would help. Any suggestions? What do you use? I’d like to use some sort of microPC.
I am considering a Dell Optiplex 3020, Core i3-4160T 3.1GHz, 8gig DDR3.

seeing that Pi are either unavailable or way out of price or both
I am giving a Lenovo M93 mini a whirl
core I5, 16G of ram,120G SSD
it should have plenty of power to run 2 nodes
was even thinking of running ProxMox on it so I could have
a Win something to run the the Quantar programming software
and a couple of Allstar nodes

it is a nice small package and it does not seem to dissipate much heat at all

Hey Len, I gave up on Pi also, too many holes in the audio stream. I started to play with Orange Pi but nowhere close yet, having trouble compiling the asterisk stuff on it. BUT, what I went to (kinda similar to k9wkj) is to use HP thin-client computers. The model I use is T510. These are turning up on eBay for around $20-$30. They usually have a neat SSD 16GB inside. Its a module with SATA connector built on and snaps onto the mother board. I have a ASL image that I burn to the SSD. Then setup for my node. Works great and doesn’t have all the audio issues you get with a Pi. The CPU is a VIA Eden X2 U4200 (1 GHz, 2 cores). The model T610 is similar but actually has a 2.5" drive. I have no personal experience with the 610. The Pi just doesn’t appear suited for this stuff. Another one I’m planning on trying is the “Atomic Pi”… If you choose this route I can stick the image file on Google Drive for you to grab. You’d need to burn the image to the SSD. I do that in Linux, which is a simple command line…

GeorgeC W2DB
2360, 28599, 490891

I think you will find a min/micro PC works just fine.
More than 2ghz dual core and 4gb is really just overkill. But sometimes you just have to buy them bigger.
But I might suggest to find one with a parallel port for more output control options if you can find a older one with it.

Been using intel atoms for nearly a decade.

The Delmarva VHF and Microwave Society, K8GP repeater system utilizes an ATOM D2500 with 1GB RAM and 32GB SSD. the ATOM handles the 6-meter (2584), 1.35-meter (27310) and 70-cm (28185) repeaters without any audio issues. I mounted the board is in a 1U rack-mount case. The system was up for over 10 years, continuously, until last year when we lost our site and have recently started to reinstall the repeaters at a new site. The nodes are offline, at the present, but should be back up before year’s end

With the current version of Allstar, you cannot eliminate the audio gaps just reduce the frequency of occurrence and duration of the gap. Based on some testing and my own tolerance of glitches I decided that the PC a PassMark score of 3000 is required. (PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs), You can peruse the chart for yourself, but it is basically a 6th generation i3 or a 3rd generation I5 or better. In the new mini PC’s (11th generation) something like the Beelink N5095 looks promising and cost effective.

GL
Ken
KE2N

I just installed ASL 2.0 beta6 on a Beelink computer. It’s working fine using a dozen or so RTCMs. I suspect a couple of USB devices would work great as well.

I still have an intel D945 mini itx running ACID in service now on my node 28599. I think I built it in 2010. Also have it running X10 control of lamps

GeorgeC W2DB

Wonder how good it would work in my weather proof box sitting in my barn. I have to worry about heat buildup in there.

I wound up getting a refurbished Dell Optiplex Micro 3020, Core i3 from Amazon for $95. Still setting it up.

I’m running several M93p tinys and running ASL 64 bit under a ProxMox VM. Works flawlessly (also running a Window VM for some other stuff at the repeater site(s). Very convenient!

1 Like