Baofeng connected to android phone as a node?

Wondering if I can pick the brains of the more experienced and wiser ones than myself.
I have two Baofeng HTs, I’m wondering if it is possible to connect one to my radios to Android phone using the BTECH APRS-K1 cable, and run any app that would allow that to work as a node? If there is such an app out there? I would like to set up one radio with the phone, run the app and then use my second radio to talk to the one plugged into the phone, I would use a low-power transmission between my two radios and a squelch tone to keep that channel ‘closed’ more or less. Is this possible? I’d like to try to set up a node with the equipment that I already have rather than purchasing a node.
Thanks for any input!

I believe I understand what you are trying to do but,
there is no interface (wired) that I know of to make that leap.

But perhaps there is a wifi/blutooth way in some interfaces ? But I’m not aware of them and that does not mean someone has not tinkered their way to it.

I’ve been able to solve half of the problem that I’m attempting to solve. I can plug the BTECH APRS-K1 into my radio (let’s call this the primary), and connect it to my phone or table that’s running EchoLink app via a 3.5mm mic to usb-c adapter. When a transmission comes into my phone via echo link it plays through the cable, triggers the vox setting on my radio that then transmits it out to my secondary radio. What I have not been able to solve is a way to perform the opposite. where I transmit from my secondary radio to the primary which would output the audio through the BTECH APRS-K1 cable into my phone, however, the app doesn’t have a ‘vox’ style setting that I can activate that would then transmit onto Echolink. I know I could just simply use the phone to do this, and skip connecting the radios but whats the fun in that?

Well, don’t let me discourage you in any way, but if not using someone else’s work/hard time, you are looking at the same.
You can do a lot of things with this stuff, it all depends on your drive to do it.

Most just use a Pi or micro PC. Then you can voip links to your node for telephone access.
Yea, no need for radio’s unless you want them.
I first built my system of private nodes and voip phone access only. Set the command structure to my liking, then added radios, and later moved them on three existing repeaters and finally went public on the asl system under the early ACID version of the software.

Just think about the idea that the whole software system rides on asterisk, which is some of the most powerful and flexible software you will ever have the pleasure and hair pulling experiences with.
I guess what I am hinting at is work out your clever toys with asterisk. But your not going to run asterisk on android… yet.

1 Like

You would need to install Debian on the phone. This is easier to do on some phones than others. See Mobile - Debian Wiki for some good links and info on that. If you can get a phone that is known for being easy to convert to Linux and install Debian 10 then ASL should not be hard to set up.

Maybe you’d like DVSwitch Mobile.

For iPhone users there’s RepeaterPhone.

I believe his objective is to run a radio from android as the controller.

But I would agree, using remote software with Pi/PC is the trick most of us use…

thanks for your input! dvswitch, EchoLink, and similar apps are super close to what I’m working to achieve, I am able to receive transmissions on all in the way that I would like to but I have not been able to send them in the way that I would like. It seems that nothing out there supports the function that I’d like to do.

It seems that at some point I will have to go to a Pi style setup to achieve this.

I believe if you look,
you will find there is a method to control a node you describe in the asl portal that you can control with DVSwitch on android using the WT / Web Transceiver interface. Still no radio without a server.
While I run DVS mobile and server, I have never attempted this. Never had a reason to.

https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Mobile/messages

1 Like

many thanks! ill dig through there and see what I can uncover. I know what I’m trying is not typical, but that’s all part of it I suppose.

What about Zoiper on Android?

Bob
K6ECM