Automatic reconnect

hello all im new here so apologies if i have put this in the wrong place…

i have just set up allstar on gb3eg i am looking on a how to

to enable an auto reconnect to a home node if someone disconnects all nodes or leaves it connected to another node

im not 100% proficient with the allstar programming so please bear with

thanks sean m0oeg

Do a permanent connect. Iirc the command is 15…look at the link command list.

What is “command 15” and what command list?

Look in the functions then link commands

I think the function is ilink,13 for a perm connection.

How are the ilink functions accessed? I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering.

HNY to all

Take a look at this Wiki link. AllStarLink Standard Commands - AllStarLink Wiki

Ok, I did…still doesn’t tell me much…

I got it the Func start is * unless you change it…but the other commands. How do you prefix them?? Do they use Func Start or another start digit? COP commands,how do you function them? Are they *xyz using the 3 digit code unless you change them or do they have another command prefix??

The docs need to be redone so anyone not Linux savvy or those NEW to ASL can understand…
One thing that really pis…no I won’t say that, GRINDS MY GEARS is the assumption of doc writers that everyone understands Linux or is super smart… make the docs UNDERSTANDABLE…

Show commands easier to read such as:
Link commands (start with * unless you change Func Char start)
Ilink commands are:

To set a prefix for them,do this

To access them, do this

Is it that hard to ask? I’m no dummy, I’ve done MS networking for decades, a broadcast engineer and telecom guy…but Asterisk is new to me…and I bet a lot more like me would appreciate a sample of commands, etc…just saying go read “this” doesn’t cut it…,to me it’s totally insulting to new members who want to learn but don’t get told in an example they can understand…I bet you would feel the same way sitting in front of one of my ROLM CBX telephone switches and don’t understand the CLI…
Oh to set an extension, list out the desired number and see if it’s available…then add it to the database and assign a COS…

SEE what I mean? Bet 99 out of 100 would not know a damn thing on what I said.

BUT if I said
DO A LISTLEX xxxx on the desired extn…not active? Then use NEX xxxx to add xxxx to the switch . Then SCOS xxxx yy sets Class of Svc yy to extn xxxx
Guess what?? They get it.

THAT is what new members should see…not “go read this…its all under user/pub, etc etc”

Not picking on you directly…its ASL…the docs suck!! Period and a lot of us would appreciate better with examples and description

Rant mode off
Chris
WB5ITT

1 Like

Hi @m0oeg,

Allstar can automatically connect to node(s) when it starts. That’s called a startup_macro. However If someone disconnects that node the startup_macro will not automatically reconnect. There is no facility within Allstar to do that.

The mention in this thread of permanent connects is not what you’re looking for either, I don’t think. What that does is automatically reconnect if the far reboots or the network goes away and returns. But if either end disconnects it won’t automatically reconnect.

The answer to you second question is basically the same as the first answer. Allstar can’t know if some leaves up a link connected you don’t want to stay connected.

You could automate some of this with cron. But there could be undesired side effects. Also, there is a scheduler within Allstar can can do some things cron can do but it would have the same issues as cron. We can discuss the pros and cons of cron/schedule if you like. Just ask.

Having said that, there might be a better solution. There is something in Allstar called a rptinactmacro that has possibilities. But I’ve never used it. Maybe that could be used to reconfigure your node when it goes idle after a select period.

Does anyone here know how to use or have documentation on rptinactmacro and rptinacttime?