Audio levels on mixture of wide and narrowband FM repeaters

My network has both wide (5kHz deviation) and narrowband (2.5 kHz) repeaters. I understand the tx audio procedure - activate the 1kHz test tone, set deviation for 3 kHz on a wideband repeater, 1.5 kHz on narrow.

But what about the Rx level from the repeater into the AllStar node? The visual setup shows an deviation meter of sorts and there are instructions for that, but should it be different when the audio is coming from a narrowband machine vs a wideband? I suspect in both cases voice peaks should peak at close to 5kHz and it gets normalized by the transmit level on the repeater receiving the signal over the Allstar network, but want to be sure.

Thanks. 73, VE7NZ

Hi Adrian,

You want to have levels from the receiver normalized into allstarlink; so, 5 KHz on the simpleusb-tune-menu scale corresponds to a 5KHz deviation signal into the receiver. That “full deviation “ level into Allstar should also represents a 2.5 KHz (full deviation) from a narrow band radio, like 900 MHz. That said, if you adjust with 3 KHz on a 5KHz radio, you should adjust a 1.5 KHz modulated signal to display 3 KHz from a narrow band radio. That way, everything will be leveled uniformly going into allstar.

Regards,

Tom / K5TRA

···

From: Adrian VE7NZ via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:09 PM
To: tom@k5tra.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Audio levels on mixture of wide and narrowband FM repeaters

VE7NZ
May 12

My network has both wide (5kHz deviation) and narrowband (2.5 kHz) repeaters. I understand the tx audio procedure - activate the 1kHz test tone, set deviation for 3 kHz on a wideband repeater, 1.5 kHz on narrow.

But what about the Rx level from the repeater into the AllStar node? The visual setup shows an deviation meter of sorts and there are instructions for that, but should it be different when the audio is coming from a narrowband machine vs a wideband? I suspect in both cases voice peaks should peak at close to 5kHz and it gets normalized by the transmit level on the repeater receiving the signal over the Allstar network, but want to be sure.

Thanks. 73, VE7NZ

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Yeah, gotta think of the 5kc mark as 100% modulation

Exactly George. You’re a man of few words.

Tom

···

From: George Csahanin via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:49 PM
To: tom@k5tra.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Audio levels on mixture of wide and narrowband FM repeaters

w2db
May 13

Yeah, gotta think of the 5kc mark as 100% modulation

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.