Asterisk doesn't boot consistently, PTT stuck on, COS not working,

Elaborating on the subject: I have a Pi with three RA-42 interfaces from Master Communications. Two provide Allstar access to repeaters, the third one provides that plus is acting as the full duplex repeater controller for that repeater (my 220 MHz repeater)

When I boot the system, about half the time it works perfectly. The other half of the time, the 220 repeater goes into permanent transmit and the repeater is non-responsive to incoming signals. It will not time out.

When this happens, I reboot the system and try again. Usually after one or two retries, the system starts up as it should again.

The only thing I am doing is the reboot so not sure why the behaviour would vary seemingly randomly.

If it’s relevant, I should point out that upon bootup I register an Allstar NNX node for each of the three repeaters and a fourth node that is a dahdi/pseudo node used as a hub. Each of the repeaters, upon startup, establishes a permanent link to the hub node. This works, but I mention it because the only variable I can think of is perhaps internet latency changing from one bootup to the next.

Thanks, 73, Adrian VE7NZ

THis sound a lot more like if the ra-42 are not detected in the same order and on the usb buss and they are not assigned the same slots then the programing is supposed to be.

What type or repeaters you have connected on the RA-42? Just curiosity :wink:

Adrian,

Two things come to mind on your problem.

The first thing is to make sure you have a really good 5 volt power supply source for your Pi.

The second issue could be upon startup establishing your permanent link to the hub node.

May try disabling the permanent connections on startup and see if your problem goes away.

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Adrian VE7NZ via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2020 8:51 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Asterisk doesn’t boot consistently, PTT stuck on, COS not working,

VE7NZ
April 3

Elaborating on the subject: I have a Pi with three RA-42 interfaces from Master Communications. Two provide Allstar access to repeaters, the third one provides that plus is acting as the full duplex repeater controller for that repeater (my 220 MHz repeater)

When I boot the system, about half the time it works perfectly. The other half of the time, the 220 repeater goes into permanent transmit and the repeater is non-responsive to incoming signals. It will not time out.

When this happens, I reboot the system and try again. Usually after one or two retries, the system starts up as it should again.

The only thing I am doing is the reboot so not sure why the behaviour would vary seemingly randomly.

If it’s relevant, I should point out that upon bootup I register an Allstar NNX node for each of the three repeaters and a fourth node that is a dahdi/pseudo node used as a hub. Each of the repeaters, upon startup, establishes a permanent link to the hub node. This works, but I mention it because the only variable I can think of is perhaps internet latency changing from one bootup to the next.

Thanks, 73, Adrian VE7NZ

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

A single Raspberry Pi platform is not intended to run 3 concurrent radio adapter instances. This is especially true if you’re running usbradio, as you’ll run out of processor horsepower. The RA-42 takes LOTS of DC power because of the onboard audio amplification and protection circuitry other adapters lack. The USB powering bus on the Raspberry Pi leaves a lot to be desired. I recommend using one radio adapter per Raspberry Pi, and use a BIG power adapter for each one. You can alleviate some power consumption by moving JU2 to the “B” position and powering the audio amplifiers from an external power source. Whether or not that would allow 3 adapters to work from one PI, I don’t know. Again - it’s never been recommended to use more than one radio adapter per Pi, and that’s especially true for radio adapters that consume more power, like the RA-42.

Kevin W3KKC

Kevin, thank you. I am big fan of best practices and now I know this, I will have one Pi per interface. So now I have one Pi on my 220 repeater (that Pi also runs the hub node) and one Pi on my 440. They are both at my QTH behind my firewall/router. They can connect to “outside nodes” but not each other. Each have their own dedicated IP address on the LAN. Each are using the same server on port 4569. Do I need a separate server and port (4570?) for one of them or is there something else I am missing?

Thx again, 73, VE7NZ

Yes. Assign them on separate servers on the portal and different ports then forward those ports to the NAT’d IP address

Thank you
Nathan Hardman
Nhardman1428@gmail.com

···

On Apr 3, 2020, at 9:28 PM, Adrian VE7NZ via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

VE7NZ
VE7NZ

April 4

Kevin, thank you. I am big fan of best practices and now I know this, I will have one Pi per interface. So now I have one Pi on my 220 repeater (that Pi also runs the hub node) and one Pi on my 440. They are both at my QTH behind my firewall/router. They can connect to “outside nodes” but not each other. Each have their own dedicated IP address on the LAN. Each are using the same server on port 4569. Do I need a separate server and port (4570?) for one of them or is there something else I am missing?

Thx again, 73, VE7NZ

In Reply To

kuggie
kuggie
Board Member

April 3

A single Raspberry Pi platform is not intended to run 3 concurrent radio adapter instances. This is especially true if you’re running usbradio, as you’ll run out of processor horsepower. The RA-42 takes LOTS of DC power because of the onboard audio amplification and protection circuitry other adap…

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Two_Servers_Behind_NAT_Router

the wiki will tell you what to program in each server to have them able to talk to each other.

Le ven. 3 avr. 2020 à 21:28, Adrian VE7NZ via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org a écrit :

···

VE7NZ

April 4

Thx again, 73, VE7NZ

In Reply To

kuggie

Board Member

April 3

A single Raspberry Pi platform is not intended to run 3 concurrent radio adapter instances. This is especially true if you’re running usbradio, as you’ll run out of processor horsepower. The RA-42 takes LOTS of DC power because of the onboard audio amplification and protection circuitry other adap…

Adrian,

To connect between servers on the same LAN. Did you remember to add the
opposite Nodes info to the [nodes] section in your rpt.conf files. Then
restart Asterisk —> astres.sh

Larry - N7FM

···

On 4/3/20 6:28 PM, Adrian VE7NZ via AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

[VE7NZ] VE7NZ https://community.allstarlink.org/u/ve7nz
April 4

Kevin, thank you. I am big fan of best practices and now I know this, I
will have one Pi per interface. So now I have one Pi on my 220 repeater
(that Pi also runs the hub node) and one Pi on my 440. They are both at
my QTH behind my firewall/router. They can connect to “outside nodes”
but not each other. Each have their own dedicated IP address on the LAN.
Each are using the same server on port 4569. Do I need a separate server
and port (4570?) for one of them or is there something else I am missing?

Thx again, 73, VE7NZ

Visit Topic
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/asterisk-doesnt-boot-consistently-ptt-stuck-on-cos-not-working/16731/5
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

[kuggie] kuggie https://community.allstarlink.org/u/kuggie Board Member
April 3

A single Raspberry Pi platform is not intended to run 3 concurrent radio
adapter instances. This is especially true if you’re running usbradio,
as you’ll run out of processor horsepower. The RA-42 takes LOTS of DC
power because of the onboard audio amplification and protection
circuitry other adap…

Previous Replies

[kuggie] kuggie https://community.allstarlink.org/u/kuggie Board Member
April 3

A single Raspberry Pi platform is not intended to run 3 concurrent radio
adapter instances. This is especially true if you’re running usbradio,
as you’ll run out of processor horsepower. The RA-42 takes LOTS of DC
power because of the onboard audio amplification and protection
circuitry other adapters lack. The USB powering bus on the Raspberry Pi
leaves a lot to be desired. I recommend using one radio adapter per
Raspberry Pi, and use a BIG power adapter for each one. You can
alleviate some power consumption by moving JU2 to the “B” position and
powering the audio amplifiers from an external power source. Whether or
not that would allow 3 adapters to work from one PI, I don’t know. Again

• it’s never been recommended to use more than one radio adapter per Pi,
    and that’s especially true for radio adapters that consume more power,
    like the RA-42.

Kevin W3KKC

[KE6PCV] KE6PCV https://community.allstarlink.org/u/ke6pcv ASL Admin
April 3

Adrian,

Two things come to mind on your problem.

The first thing is to make sure you have a really good 5 volt power
supply source for your Pi.

The second issue could be upon startup establishing your permanent link
to the hub node.

May try disabling the permanent connections on startup and see if your
problem goes away.

Marshall - ke6pcv

··· (click for more details)
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/asterisk-doesnt-boot-consistently-ptt-stuck-on-cos-not-working/16731/3

[Pierre_Martel] Pierre_Martel
https://community.allstarlink.org/u/pierre_martel
April 3

THis sound a lot more like if the ra-42 are not detected in the same
order and on the usb buss and they are not assigned the same slots then
the programing is supposed to be.

What type or repeaters you have connected on the RA-42? Just curiosity
:wink:

[VE7NZ] VE7NZ https://community.allstarlink.org/u/ve7nz
April 3

Elaborating on the subject: I have a Pi with three RA-42 interfaces from
Master Communications. Two provide Allstar access to repeaters, the
third one provides that plus is acting as the full duplex repeater
controller for that repeater (my 220 MHz repeater)

When I boot the system, about half the time it works perfectly. The
other half of the time, the 220 repeater goes into permanent transmit
and the repeater is non-responsive to incoming signals. It will not time
out.

When this happens, I reboot the system and try again. Usually after one
or two retries, the system starts up as it should again.

The only thing I am doing is the reboot so not sure why the behaviour
would vary seemingly randomly.

If it’s relevant, I should point out that upon bootup I register an
Allstar NNX node for each of the three repeaters and a fourth node that
is a dahdi/pseudo node used as a hub. Each of the repeaters, upon
startup, establishes a permanent link to the hub node. This works, but I
mention it because the only variable I can think of is perhaps internet
latency changing from one bootup to the next.

Thanks, 73, Adrian VE7NZ

Visit Topic
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/asterisk-doesnt-boot-consistently-ptt-stuck-on-cos-not-working/16731/5
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
https://community.allstarlink.org/email/unsubscribe/d9288d3c886ffc9fce3eea4bf02f93cae503bb90a3738c84d63d51f0ca4cfba4.

Thx to all. Everything is working now. The documentation makes reference to the radio-secure stanza, but I had to also put the other node in the [iax-rpt] stanza which wasn’t in the docs. Before doing that i could connect between the nodes but the audio wouldn’t route.

So it ended up as follows:

[globals]
HOMENPA = 999 ; change this to your Area Code
NODE = 450523 ; change this to your node number

[default]

exten => i,1,Hangup

[radio-secure]
exten => ${NODE},1,rpt,${NODE} ;

[iaxrpt]
exten => ${NODE},1,rpt(${NODE}|X)
exten => 450521,1,rpt,450521|X ; the “other node”

Adrian.