ASL Raspberry Pi4 Beta Image

Greetings,

We are getting very close to completing a beta image for the Pi 4.
For those waiting on an ASL image that will work on a Raspberry Pi 4 we are asking for volunteers to download and help test the image and report back any issues.

This image also includes the dahdi_dummy timer fix for audio.

The image should also work with the Pi4, Pi 3 and Pi 2.

For those wishing to help test out, please send me an email at:

ke6pcv@gmail.com

I will email you a link to download the image file.

Marshall - ke6pcv

1 Like

For what it’s worth I have run it for a while but have now abandoned the Pi’s for HP thin clients. Less trouble with audio “holes”. The Pi4 had it as well, even with the improved Dahdi… I was real hopeful that the Pi4 distro would have solved these problems but beginning to think that the Pi just can’t do it and the handling of USB audio has an issue. The FOB’s can make nice pure audio under Windows, and Linux with other apps than Asterisk. But make a tone to set modulation and it has holes. Even using the thin client it has this a slight bit but you don’t notice it.
GeorgeC W2DB 2360, 28599

Is the Raspberry Pi 3 – Model A+ supported? The image will not boot. It will boot however on a Pi 3B and interesting enough on a Pi 0. The Raspberry Pi 3 – Model A+ is ok and has been tested on vanilla raspbian.

Thanks,
Karl
KB2FA

Hey George, just curious since you mentioned it…

Which HP thin client model are you using, and are you running the standard/latest ASL ISO on it OK, or using some other build and installing the packages from there, etc?

Always enjoy hearing (reading) about the alternative methods people are using to run their nodes.

Sorry Marshall if it takes the thread OT. George, feel free to PM if you think it might.

Thanks
Byron

Pi 3 A+ is certainly OK and still supported as far as I’m aware.

Now I wish I had one, so I could try testing that scenario out for myself.

Gonna go QRT, really OT’ing Marshall’s thread by this point.

Byron

Hi Byron, thanks for the response. Just to be safe, I downloaded another copy of the image, checked the MD5 sum, and burned it.

The results are the same, the Pi 3 A+ will not boot, there is no activity at all according to the green LED. I then moved the same SD card to a Pi 3 B and a Pi Zero W. Both boot fine and I can connect to both of them with Putty.

Additionally, the Pi 3 A+ works perfectly on plain raspbian, both on 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I am not sure what is going on. It feels like the Pi 3 A+ is not supported. Hopefully I am doing something wrong because the Pi 3 A+ is a perfect sized Pi for an Allstar Node.

Thanks!
Karl
KB2FA

Marshall

I am a seasoned user of the various Allstar software implementations (running PC/linux/containers and Pi 3 nodes. I also have a Micnode Node AE based unit.). I recently acquired a Pi4 and URI to create a new node.

I quickly found out that the Pi4 for now is unsupported. The PI4 is a powerful unit.

I have a RPi4 running the latest Pi OS. I did try to download and install the dahdi and allstarlink software / source code / patched dahdi and I have run into compile issues around the dahdi drivers.

I need to defer to the experts.

If you are still looking for people to test the Pi4 Beta Image, I would like to participate.

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Keith / VA3YC

Marshall - ke6pcv,
I am looking forward to testing this out and hope for success. Thanks for the teams development.

1 Like

Keith,

Thank you for the offer to help test, we really appreciate it.

The beta image testing phase was completed in May by several folks that volunteered at the beginning of April.

At this point we are working on the software code to iron out some problems before we can release the next beta version.

Once we have something working, I will announce on Community forum.

Thanks for your understanding. We are trying our best in our free time to complete and get something working on the Pi 4 but there is only one person that knows how to do programming code in C.

We are actively looking for folks that are good at programming in C and familiar with asterisk and sound applications that would like to help us out please let us know! :slight_smile:

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Aubrey Keith Goobie via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2020 7:05 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL Raspberry Pi4 Beta Image

|

kgoobie
June 13

|

• | - |

Marshall

I am a seasoned user of the various Allstar software implementations (running PC/linux/containers and Pi 3 nodes. I also have a Micnode Node AE based unit.). I recently acquired a Pi4 and URI to create a new node.

I quickly found out that the Pi4 for now is unsupported. The PI4 is a powerful unit.

I have a RPi4 running the latest Pi OS. I did try to download and install the dahdi and allstarlink software / source code / patched dahdi and I have run into compile issues around the dahdi drivers.

I need to defer to the experts.

If you are still looking for people to test the Pi4 Beta Image, I would like to participate.

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Keith / VA3YC

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

|

Karl
May 1

|

• | - |

Hi Byron, thanks for the response. Just to be safe, I downloaded another copy of the image, checked the MD5 sum, and burned it.

The results are the same, the Pi 3 A+ will not boot, there is no activity at all according to the green LED. I then moved the same SD card to a Pi 3 B and a Pi Zero W. Both boot fine and I can connect to both of them with Putty.

Additionally, the Pi 3 A+ works perfectly on plain raspbian, both on 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I am not sure what is going on. It feels like the Pi 3 A+ is not supported. Hopefully I am doing something wrong because the Pi 3 A+ is a perfect sized Pi for an Allstar Node.

Thanks!
Karl
KB2FA

|

k4sip
May 1

|

• | - |

Karl:

Raspberry Pi 3 – Model A+

Pi 3 A+ is certainly OK and still supported as far as I’m aware.

Now I wish I had one, so I could try testing that scenario out for myself.

Gonna go QRT, really OT’ing Marshall’s thread by this point.

Byron

|

k4sip
May 1

|

• | - |

Hey George, just curious since you mentioned it…

Which HP thin client model are you using, and are you running the standard/latest ASL ISO on it OK, or using some other build and installing the packages from there, etc?

Always enjoy hearing (reading) about the alternative methods people are using to run their nodes.

Sorry Marshall if it takes the thread OT. George, feel free to PM if you think it might.

Thanks
Byron

|

Karl
April 30

|

• | - |

Is the Raspberry Pi 3 – Model A+ supported? The image will not boot. It will boot however on a Pi 3B and interesting enough on a Pi 0. The Raspberry Pi 3 – Model A+ is ok and has been tested on vanilla raspbian.

Thanks,
Karl
KB2FA

|

w2db
March 28

|

• | - |

For what it’s worth I have run it for a while but have now abandoned the Pi’s for HP thin clients. Less trouble with audio “holes”. The Pi4 had it as well, even with the improved Dahdi… I was real hopeful that the Pi4 distro would have solved these problems but beginning to think that the Pi just can’t do it and the handling of USB audio has an issue. The FOB’s can make nice pure audio under Windows, and Linux with other apps than Asterisk. But make a tone to set modulation and it has holes. Even using the thin client it has this a slight bit but you don’t notice it.
GeorgeC W2DB 2360, 28599

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hello Marshall …, im a c/c++ programmer , i want to contribute to the project …, how can i help ?

XE1GSY - Eric
73…!

Where are we at with a PI 4?
I tried to use the image available on website and it doesn’t work.
I used apt-get to install myself and it errors on installing?
Thanks,
Erv