ASL and ZOTAC mini / VIA?

Will ASL run on a ZOTAC mini with a VIA processor. I installed ASL_AMD and it does not access the URI.

I think it is an issue with the OS and not ASL itself.

In the past while trying to install Debian 9 and 10 on a VIA processor, I have run into an error messages stating something about the CPU functions were not supported.

So not really sure about the VIA processor. ASL should work with an OS that supports VIA.

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: lengriff@optimum.net via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 7:55 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL and ZOTAC mini / VIA?

lengriff
March 28

Will ASL run on a ZOTAC mini with a VIA processor. I installed ASL_AMD and it does not access the URI.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I also wonder about INTEL ATOM processors.I’d like to use a fanless mini-pc

Inter ATOM processors work great for AllStar. The fanless hardware makes for a nice package.

Len, I think I know the issue. Just dawned on me as I had the same problem with the thin client. The PC isn’t the problem, it’s the channel drived in the distro. Look at lsusb. I’m betting that your USB device is NOT recognized by the channel driver. Over the years the list of USB ID’s that have been included has changed. (remember in my email I said the memory was hazy??) I had to recompile because of this. I had to change one of the USB ID’s in the source code to be the one I was using, then recompile.

GeorgeC

I have two nodes running ASL and are VIA processors. It does work
GeorgeC W2DB

Find an intel D945 board. I think it is an ATOM. Whatever, it is small and does run ASL
GeorgeC W2DB

George,

Try installing Debian 9 or 10 on a VIA processor mother board and see if you get an error message in the first part of the install process.

I know that I can install Centos on a VIA processor but have not had luck with Debian.

Maybe I am doing something wrong??? Please do explain?

Marshall

···

From: George Csahanin via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:52 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL and ZOTAC mini / VIA?

w2db
March 28

I have two nodes running ASL and are VIA processors. It does work
GeorgeC W2DB

In Reply To

KE6PCV ASL Admin
March 28

I think it is an issue with the OS and not ASL itself. In the past while trying to install Debian 9 and 10 on a VIA processor, I have run into an error messages stating something about the CPU functions were not supported. So not really sure about the VIA processor. ASL should work with an OS tha…

Previous Replies

w2db
March 28

Len, I think I know the issue. Just dawned on me as I had the same problem with the thin client. The PC isn’t the problem, it’s the channel drived in the distro. Look at lsusb. I’m betting that your USB device is NOT recognized by the channel driver. Over the years the list of USB ID’s that have been included has changed. (remember in my email I said the memory was hazy??) I had to recompile because of this. I had to change one of the USB ID’s in the source code to be the one I was using, then recompile.

GeorgeC

wd6awp ASL Admin
March 28

Inter ATOM processors work great for AllStar. The fanless hardware makes for a nice package.

lengriff
March 28

I also wonder about INTEL ATOM processors.I’d like to use a fanless mini-pc

KE6PCV ASL Admin
March 28

I think it is an issue with the OS and not ASL itself.

In the past while trying to install Debian 9 and 10 on a VIA processor, I have run into an error messages stating something about the CPU functions were not supported.

So not really sure about the VIA processor. ASL should work with an OS that supports VIA.

Marshall - ke6pcv

··· (click for more details)

lengriff
March 28

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Unless I’m having an unusually severe senior moment I’m pretty sure I used ASL. When looking at debian-version it is 9.12

All my Centos 5 systems used Atom D525, D2550, D2700 and similar. They all worked well and I had more than on fob on some of them. The newer Debian ASL1.01 does not work well on the same hardware. Gaps in the audio are apparent if you listen to it for a few minutes and often you get multiple breaks in sequence before it recovers. Dahdi_dummy does not fix this.

I compared a number of Intel-based mini-pc’s and the old Atom line in terms how they work with ASL, versus a CPU benchmark score called “passmark” (see cpubenchmark.net). Mini-pc’s generally use a laptop CPU in a small footprint format and are fanless up to 10 watts. (They support 60 Hz 4K HDMI video which is a bit of a waste in this application). They usually have one or more USB3 ports in addition to USB2 ports. 10 watt units run off of 12 volts DC which is highly desirable for a repeater running on backup battery.

Summary of my tests:

• RPI 3/4 - no passmark score, but probably similar to Atom D525 - not acceptable
  • Atom D525 (board) score: 705 (not acceptable)
  • Atom D2550 (board) score 681 (not acceptable)
  • Celeron J3160 CPU score: 1794 (not bad – 30 ms break once in a while)
  • Celeron J4105 CPU score: 2646 (good, not perfect – 20 ms break once in a while)
    The J4105 is the top performer in the 10-Watt TDP class and is just acceptable (IMHO) it will run more than one fob.

I see that there is also a Pentium Silver J5005 with a score of 2903 but seems to cost substantially more than the J4105 for the small increment of performance (so I did not get one).

Next up is the 15-watt TDP class of CPU’s (which usually requires an 18 volt DC supply)

I have tested an I5-8350 (passmark 8000) and it works well - I am sure it can do more than 2 fobs.

Of course, if you do not need to run your system on a battery for 24-48 hours, then you can always use a standard desktop processor that burns 60-90 watts and things will likely be fine.

Ken