AllStarLink Image size

I thought I would try the allstarlink image on my raspberry, I have been using hamvoip and not really searching or learning the history until lately. My question is, why is the ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-raspbian-stretch-image almost 16gb and hamvoip is less than 4gb.
I downloaded and updated and before I start to run for the first time I wanted to archive my updated image and it is taking for ever. hamvoip usually took 12 minutes to archive, i am over an hour so far with asl. Why the major size different in the software.
Dave

The reason is that the ASL image on first boot expands to use the whole SD card. HamVoIP does not. For example, he base ASL image is about 2GB in size when you download it. If you put that image on a 4GB SD card, on first boot, the image will expand to use the whole 4GB.

Hope this helps, Steve N4IRS

The ASL Beta 6 is recommended even though it’s a beta. It’s only a 666.7MB download.

http://downloads.allstarlink.org/index.php?b=ASL_Images_Beta%2FRaspberry_Pi2_3_4

Yes, but does it expand to fit the SD card?

Yes sir,

repeater@pi4-beta6:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        29G  2.1G   27G   8% /
devtmpfs        1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  184M  1.7G  10% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           1.9G  356K  1.9G   1% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1  484M   41M  443M   9% /boot
log2ram         100M   85M   16M  85% /var/log
tmpfs           383M     0  383M   0% /run/user/1000

Maybe it’s time to pull down the 4 year old ASL 1.01 images.

because the author did want the extra overhead that debian uses. read the history on Asterisk Allstar on the Raspberry Pi 2/3/4 you will understand why

resizing the image produced overhead? I’m quite aware of David’s stance on Debian.

plain and simple, I can remotely backup 7 nodes and archive them using hamvoip, when it takes my over an hour just to do an archive of my local node using asl, I am not going to spend 8 hours doing what I can in 2 hours, I personally do not need expansion of the sd card for what I am enjoying. So until there is a choice in the unnecessary expansion, I will not use asl.
I do this because it is my nature, techie, interest and having fun, sitting there for the extra time is not fun. I hope you understand my view point, I am only expressing it not wanting to insult anyone or cause a problem.
Dave

I remotely backup ASL remote nodes (vps) using dd in 20 min.
I backup pi nodes in about the same using SD image copy.
Perhaps your issue is just method to match purpose. But it’s not my time to say what is best.

the issue is way to much empty space being backed up for no reason, simply stop expanding

GitHub - Drewsif/PiShrink: Make your pi images smaller!.

For simple problem there are simple solution. This is a small script that will shrink your Pi image and set the image to automaticly expand when first booted up.

No magic, no OS specific thing.

Or, just backup the config files.