Allstar Node for Traveler (Car and Hotels)

I am ready to buy a Allstar access point for my ham radio when on the road and in the hotel room. Anyone have recommendations? I am looking for one that is real easy to set up too. I like to use full duplex if possible

Will you have a radio connected to the node?

If not, just make yourself a small node at home open the 4569 port to the web Port foward to the node inside your home) use a free ddns service to know the ip adress of your setup and connect to it with iaxrpt on a computer or Mobile app on a cell phone. that way you can connect the node you have home to any other allstarlink node and work on the repeater you like. Simple easy and cheap.

Want to go a step further, work digital mode… Have yourself a mabe dongle, build your node with the dvswitch suite and you will be able to connect to almost all digital network from your allstarlink node. Not as easy but if others can do it, you also can.

Pierre
VE2PF

Wow that sounds complicated lol hate to say I would have a radio so please answer his question

As far as I know, there are no prebuilt full-duplex nodes. You will need to build one yourself.

No prebuilt full duplex nodes…but, you can build a 100 mw simplex node with this kit and a raspberrypi. Thinking if you have tethering on your cell phone, use wifi from a pi-3 and this hat on top…and bob’s your uncle. Thinking of picking one up and trying out.

Hey, ham radio is for experimentation, not just plugging in appliances, right?

73 de wb0yle
Morrisville PA
Fall River MA

Old topic, but I think this might help someone.

I’m not aware of any prebuilt or kit duplex nodes. The closest I know of is the SHARI, which is a simplex kit with an easy build, and works well. Easy setup if you use HamVOIP as recommended. That said, my SHARI runs on ASL 2.0, because I’m also running a MMDVM based hotspot on the same Pi for direct digital mode access, and the ASL 2.0 distro is easier for installing MMDVM onto. I had to use the SHARI configuration tools from HamVoIP to program the SA818 radio module. However, these are written in Python and will run on ASL 2.0.

Portability is achieved with the use of a ZeroTier VPN and a 44net IP. That way, I don’t need access to port forwarding. Other VPN technologies such as OpenVPN or Wireguard could be used, and any VPN that offers a public IP should work.

This shows that a portable node can be as simple or as complex as you want. The essential ingredients are the radio (SHARI works well), AllStar (HamVoIP offers the easiest solution) and a VPN of some sort, so you can operate from behind almost any NAT that you encounter.