Allstar monitoring of Repeater with radioless node and good audio

I’d like to run a full-time radioless node with good audio to monitor my club’s repeater and because I have hearing loss I need good amplified/volume controle audio to a good speaker, not an HT sized speaker.

I’ve looked at what’s available at allscan.info and I’ve read of nodes run in the cloud but other than a cell phone running dvswitch/repeaterphone or a dialup VoIP phone dialing in.how does one work with such a node and get good audio?

I’d appreciate any advice on building or obtaining or otherwise operating such a node.

Thank you and 73 de K3FZT / Steve

Hi Steve,

So you want to monitor your club repeater.

There is multiple way of doing this. If you are the admin of the repeater or have a way to have the owner do something for you, at no cost, but some time. The repeater could be streamed to broadcastify and you could monitor it by listening to the stream. That way you could feed from a cell phone or a computer the audio to a big amp/speaker system that you already have at home.

Another way, build yourself a node, without a radio, make it connect to the node you want to listen to by the *2(nodenumber) command and you then can stream that again to broadcastify and the rest you already know. The good side of that solution is that you could switch the repeater you are connected to on demand by using one of the dashboard available. So you would not be limited to only one feed like on the first solution. This could be run on a small vps that cost a few $ a month.

Next solution, have a node at home with a CM108 audio fob ( dont need to be a repeater adaptor ) make the node connect to the repeater you like, again by the dashboard you like, this could run in a small form computer like a raspberry pi or if you already have an old computer that do nothing, you could install the x86 image to it. (but dont do this in a VM because you need direct contact to the USB port of the computer) then feed the audio out of the cm108 fob to an amplifier and speaker setup of your choice.

Solution one, Pro: you dont get your hand dirty if you are not the one that do the setup, no cost, there are multiple how to on this. Con: you are stuck with that only feed. (but there are other feed available from Allstarlink also.

Solution two, Pro:you dont have to host the computer home, you can monitor on demand any of allstarlink repeater/node by using a dashboard, it is available 24/7. Con: it is not free. need to pay every month a small fee.

Solution three: Pro: You have the same variety of feed, you have the node at home, no need to use broadcastify (unless you want to have access to the feed outside your home). You can buy some already built node solution on the hardware side and some of those solution could accept a microphone to ptt back if needed. Con: Need to pay for hardware/electricity/internet connection, finding a cm108 usb fob can be tricky, but they are really not high price.

I hope this help you deciding what you want to do, from there, we could help you a bit more on what you do specifically.

Pierre
VE2PF

Pierre mes ami, merci beaucoup!

The Broadcastify recommendation is the key to a general solution for me. I will first familiarize myself with Broadcastify and then see if I can stream it through my Sonos smart speakers, even if I can’t I see Broadcastify as the cornerstone to my solution. I will implement either a cloud based node or a radioless node on hardware at this location and stream to Broadcastify from whichever I stand up.

73 de K3FZT / Steve

If you are technically oriented here is an option

Mike N3IDS

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.