Allstar and IRLP reflector

Was there ever a bridge developed between IRLP and Allstar?

As Dave Cameron’s official position is there is no problem bridging an IRLP reflector and Allstar, I’m interested in doing so

There is a bridge out there… I know not where anymore. Google is your friend I guess.

You do need to check with the folks at IRLP on there rules for all of this and I would suggest before you ever get started.

Someone might chime in with the details, but I would get it first hand or risk getting blacklisted.

I exchanged email with Dave and he flat out said he had no issues with Allstars bridged with IRLP on a reflector. I can post if needed

Seems I can’t reply via email, which is a PITA (and makes this system useless to me). But I was trying to say before that I do have a working link between my AlllStar hub (27154) and IRLP reflector (9550). Here’s how it’s setup.

Reflector 9550 (channel 0) runs thelinkbox. This was previously done for technical reasons - it used to be linked to the old 9500. This also allows me to bind the Speak Freely (IRLP) ports to a single IP - that of the reflector. However, the reflector has over 200 public IPs (44.x.x.x).

I had issues getting the AllStar connection to work with the standard conferencing capabilities of thelinkbox. To solve this, I have a second copy of thelinkbox which is configured to link an incoming connection (RTP) from AllStar to the IRLP reflector. As there’s now no need for the codecs to be the same, I use G.711u (UNCOMP in IRLP speak) between AllStar and this bridge. This instance of thelinkbox transcodes to ADPCM that the reflector is using. This instance of tlb is bound to a different IP on the server.

AllStar simply connects to the interlinking copy of tlb on startup. The system works very well. There’s also links from AllStar to several digital modes via DVSwitch.

Notes:

1. there’s a bug in thelinkbox that causes it to crash if its Echolink support is disabled (EchoLinkEnable=0). To work around this, two things need to be done:

a). Set LoginInterval=0. This stops thelinkbox logging into Echolink.
b). Setup private (RFC1918) IPs on the server and bind the Echolink port to one of these IPs on each instance. This prevents public IPs being tied up for nothing.

1. Security needs to be setup. On the IRLP reflector, I use the native security mechanisms to allow the link from the other copy of tlb to access the reflector. On the linking instance of tlb, access for the reflector and AllStar node are granted using tlbcmd allow add commands.

Anyway, it works pretty well.

For those contemplating a similar system, there’s a few permutations that depend on the exact setup, but the general principles are similar, and will also work for experimental reflectors. In my case, things are simplified by the fact that I own all of the systems, meaning I don’t have to get permission or coordinate with anyone else.

That is great stuff thanks! I don’t’ remember if tlb is installed as part of the reflector package or not but I imagine I can find what I need at Github if necessary.

Time for some sleuthing!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.