Adding Allstar Server/Node to Motorola MTR-2000 Repeater

Hello,

I am new to Allstar and just setup my node a few weeks ago. Everything is working mostly working great. Recently, my friend and I had a conversation with another ham via my Allstar node. My friend was very impressed with the audio quality of the Allstar link and wants to add a node to his repeater. He is currently using a Motorola MTR-2000 repeater. Since then, we have both been researching what hardware is needed to setup and connect a node to his repeater. Our plan is to setup a node using a Raspberry Pi 3B board (because we had a spare one laying around) but how to connect it to the repeater is where it gets tricky. We found the URIx board from DMK Engineering, and I think we may be able to use that to connect the Raspberry Pi to the MTR-2000, but I’m not certain.

That is where my question come in. Does anyone have any experience connecting an AllStar node/server to a Motorola MTR-2000 repeater, and if so, would you be willing to share specifics on how you did it? Does anyone have any better suggestions on hardware to connect the MTR-2000 to AllStar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry
N6LKA

Larry,

I have built a few interface cables for this setup.

You will need one of these for the MRT-2000.

Then an interface cable can be built from the URIxB to the MTR-2000 Interface adapter DB9 connector.

Marshall - ke6pcv

Thanks, Marshall.

I think I may have sent you an email earlier today as well on this topic. My friend is also looking to add in an MMDVM board to the repeater to make it a multi-mode repeater. However, when it is operating on analog, he wants to have AllStar capabilities.

Just to be clear, and to make sure I understand, he would need to purchase the Passive Adapter Board for the MTR-2000, then build/purchase a cable to connect to the DB9 connector on the adapter board, and on the other side, connect to the 25-pin connector on the URIx board which is connected to the Raspberry Pi? Sounds simple enough.

Will using this adapter board interfere with other adapter boards on the repeater, such as the MMDVM board he is looking to install?

Thanks for the help.

Larry
N6LKA

Larry,

What brand MMDVM board are you planning on using?

Marshall

···

On Aug 19, 2019, at 2:21 PM, Larry AYCOCK via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

N6LKA

August 19

Thanks, Marshall.

I think I may have sent you an email earlier today as well on this topic. My friend is also looking to add in an MMDVM board to the repeater to make it a multi-mode repeater. However, when it is operating on analog, he wants to have AllStar capabilities.

Just to be clear, and to make sure I understand, he would need to purchase the Passive Adapter Board for the MTR-2000, then build/purchase a cable to connect to the DB9 connector on the adapter board, and on the other side, connect to the 25-pin connector on the URIx board which is connected to the Raspberry Pi? Sounds simple enough.

Will using this adapter board interfere with other adapter boards on the repeater, such as the MMDVM board he is looking to install?

Thanks for the help.

Larry
N6LKA

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 19

Larry, I have built a few interface cables for this setup. You will need one of these for the MRT-2000. Then an interface cable can be built from the URIxB to the MTR-2000 Interface adapter DB9 connector. 73 Marshall - ke6pcv

Previous Replies

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 19

Larry,

[ICS Controllers – 23 Sep 18](https://ics-ctrl.com/mtr2000/)

MTR2000

MTR2000 Passive Adapter Boards We have a few passive adapter offerings to supplement the MTR2000 radio system. These allow you to add the controller of your choice from existing Linker-IIas, PI-Re…

Then an interface cable can be built from the URIxB to the MTR-2000 Interface adapter DB9 connector.

Marshall - ke6pcv

N6LKA

August 19

Hello,

I am new to Allstar and just setup my node a few weeks ago. Everything is working mostly working great. Recently, my friend and I had a conversation with another ham via my Allstar node. My friend was very impressed with the audio quality of the Allstar link and wants to add a node to his repeater. He is currently using a Motorola MTR-2000 repeater. Since then, we have both been researching what hardware is needed to setup and connect a node to his repeater. Our plan is to setup a node using a Raspberry Pi 3B board (because we had a spare one laying around) but how to connect it to the repeater is where it gets tricky. We found the URIx board from DMK Engineering, and I think we may be able to use that to connect the Raspberry Pi to the MTR-2000, but I’m not certain.

That is where my question come in. Does anyone have any experience connecting an AllStar node/server to a Motorola MTR-2000 repeater, and if so, would you be willing to share specifics on how you did it? Does anyone have any better suggestions on hardware to connect the MTR-2000 to AllStar?

Larry
N6LKA

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Marshall,

My friend is looking to purchase the STM32-DVM-MTR2K V2.0. I provided a link to the website with more information on the board below.

http://ks-dmr.net/2019/07/28/coming-soon-stm32-dvm-mtr2k-v2-0/

Larry
N6LKA

Larry,

I took a look at that hardware and I do not think you could use both the MMDVM hardware and the ICS adapter board on the same MRT-2000. There may be a way to interface the URI to the MMDVM board, but you will need to ask the the guy that is making the MMDVM board if there are analog signals available to hook up to the URI to do what you want to implement.

Marshall

···

On Aug 19, 2019, at 8:09 PM, Larry AYCOCK via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

N6LKA

August 20

Hi Marshall,

My friend is looking to purchase the STM32-DVM-MTR2K V2.0. I provided a link to the website with more information on the board below.

Larry
N6LKA

Previous Replies

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 19

Larry,

Marshall

··· (click for more details)

N6LKA

August 19

Thanks, Marshall.

Thanks for the help.

Larry
N6LKA

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 19

Larry,

MTR2000

MTR2000 Passive Adapter Boards We have a few passive adapter offerings to supplement the MTR2000 radio system. These allow you to add the controller of your choice from existing Linker-IIas, PI-Re…

Marshall - ke6pcv

N6LKA

August 19

Hello,

Larry
N6LKA

Until 2015 I was a branch manager and top field engineer for a Motorola dealer. I interfaced the MTR2000 repeaters many times to Zetron controllers for community, trunking and remote control systems. You should be able to connect to its connector and connect to the Allstar node with a simple DB25 to the Motorola connector directly. I think there is a pin out of the Motorola connector on the Bat wing or Repeater builders site. I used to order a connector kit from Motorola for this, it came with all green wires but you only need to wire up the COS / Tone logic, Ext PTT, RX Discriminator, Ext TX Audio to make it work. If needed I can check my books for the pinouts and settings in the repeater for you. Send me email at rickk5ric@gmail.com if you need help. 73 k5ric

James,

I think that Larry’s actual question is if he can interface the MMDVM and URI, so that they can use one MTR-2000 and use both technologies on one unit. So the questions is how to hook up both the URI for Allstarlink and the MMDVM unit for DMR or other formats and have the ability to use either technology in one package.

Marshall

···

On Aug 20, 2019, at 2:01 PM, James Rick Sohl via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

K5RIC

August 20

Until 2015 I was a branch manager and top field engineer for a Motorola dealer. I interfaced the MTR2000 repeaters many times to Zetron controllers for community, trunking and remote control systems. You should be able to connect to its connector and connect to the Allstar node with a simple DB25 to the Motorola connector directly. I think there is a pin out of the Motorola connector on the Bat wing or Repeater builders site. I used to order a connector kit from Motorola for this, it came with all green wires but you only need to wire up the COS / Tone logic, Ext PTT, RX Discriminator, Ext TX Audio to make it work. If needed I can check my books for the pinouts and settings in the repeater for you. Send me email at rickk5ric@gmail.com if you need help. 73 k5ric

Previous Replies

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 20

Larry,

I took a look at that hardware and I do not think you could use both the MMDVM hardware and the ICS adapter board on the same MRT-2000. There may be a way to interface the URI to the MMDVM board, but you will need to ask the the guy that is making the MMDVM board if there are analog signals available to hook up to the URI to do what you want to implement.

Marshall

N6LKA

August 20

Hi Marshall,

Larry
N6LKA

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 19

Larry,

Marshall

N6LKA

August 19

Thanks, Marshall.

Thanks for the help.

Larry
N6LKA

Marshall_Oldham
ASL Admin

August 19

Larry,

MTR2000

Marshall - ke6pcv

Marshall, you are correct in your description of what we are trying to do. My friend who has the repeater spoke to someone from the Repeater Builder website who told him that the MMDVM board should not interfere with anything on analog. i.e. if there is an analog controller like AllStar plugged into the back port on the repeater, the MMDVM board will not interfere with the analog controller. So it sounds like both will work together. We’re going to experiment with the setup and I’ll report back with our findings to let the group know in case anyone else out there is interested.

Thanks, everyone, for the information. This has helped me a lot.

Larry

I am also trying to Allstarlink my MTR2000. I have the ICS-CTRL.com passive interface and I’m using Scott’s RIM-Lite V2. I can not find a combination of RSS settings to pin connections to simpleUSB settings that work completely. Has anyone documented their setup?