Wanting to put allstar s/w on my pi3 that is already running Raspian

I am running python on my pi3. I want to use the pi for an allstar node. Can I bring down the img file into the pi without disturbing my python work? I think there is plenty of space left on the memory chip that came with my pi3. If the answer is yes, where should I download the img file to?

Maybe there is a good site to go to for a total explanation on setting up an allstar node on a pi running linux that you can point me to.

An asside question is, can the allstar node run from wifi as opposed to a direct connection to a router?

Thanks in advance. John

Welcome John :tada:

The Pi downloads are disk images which will overwrite your existing file system. You’ll need to save your scripts elsewhere and them put them back after AllStar is installed. Windows folks like WinSCP for that.

There are a lot of AllStar instructions on YouTube and elsewhere. We have instructions here : https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

I use Etcher (on Mac) to copy the download image to the microSD card.

AllStar can be run from WiFi.

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought that might happen. It sounds like I should pull the microSD card from the pi, save it for python work, and replace it with another one formated and loaded. If I read all the stuff correctly it sounds like all the work is done on a PC or Mac with the sd chip installed. After it gets loaded it then is plugged into the pi. Is that correct?

In your estimation what is the best img out there?

I have been looking on youtube but most of the videos run so fast and skip lots of things I need to know.

I’ll look at the link you sent. I’ll get there it will just take me some time.

John

···

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 9:13 PM Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp

ASL Admin

September 13

Welcome John :tada:

The Pi downloads are disk images which will overwrite your existing file system. You’ll need to save your scripts elsewhere and them put them back after AllStar is installed. Windows folks like WinSCP for that.

There are a lot of AllStar instructions on YouTube and elsewhere. We have instructions here : https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

I use Etcher (on Mac) to copy the download image to the microSD card.

AllStar can be run from WiFi.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Pulling your sd card out and putting in AllStar is a good plan.

On the PC or Mac all you do is burn the sd card. All the setup occurs on the Pi itself when you first boot it up. I recommend the ASL client.

Pressing the space bar will stop and start Youtube videos. I find that works well.

Once again thanks. In order that I don’t get further confused, did you mean ASL client not ALS client. Not trying to be picky but I’m the sort of person that runs down rabbit holes.

John

···

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:27 PM Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp

ASL Admin

September 14

Pulling your sd card out and putting in AllStar is a good plan.

On the PC or Mac all you do is burn the sd card. All the setup occurs on the Pi itself when you first boot it up. I recommend the ALS client.

Pressing the space bar will stop and start Youtube videos. I find that works well.

In Reply To

K3JKH

September 13

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought that might happen. It sounds like I should pull the microSD card from the pi, save it for python work, and replace it with another one formated and loaded. If I read all the stuff correctly it sounds like all the work is done on a PC or Mac with the sd chi…

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yes, and edited the post. Thanks.