VIA chipset/procvessor

Do any of the current distros work on a VIA box? Trying to use a HP thin client and I have burned an image on a USB stick but best I got was one line from SYSLINUX. I put an old Limey Linux image (the VIA one) on the stick and it booted fine but those require access to a download of source from limeylinux.com which no longer exists. Butr even without the asterisk source or binaries on it this thing didn’t see the ethernet adapter on board…

GeorgeC W2DB

…A comment about ALL the very old AllStar distros, including ACID and Limey Linux. All these distros have very serious security vulnerabilities, some of which can be remotely exploited. If you’re running your system on a completely private network, you may be okay. If you expose ANY ports to the Internet (like sshd), watch out!

73, David KB4FXC

I know, Davis, wasn’t born yesterday, been using linux since '93
GeorgeC

I have installed Acid on a thin client a few years ago, never did use Dial on those.

What I would first sujest to you is to first mount a debian live cd image on the usb stick just to see if it boot a vanilla distro. then you can just install that distro and if not crazy N4IRS made a script or a list of command that will install the latest version of Allstarlink onto that system.

Been working with debian linux since 94. before the code name before packaging, when a real man could compile its kernel and everything was on source code. No binary or such things :wink:

At first I was running this on my old 386 that had a 40MB hard disk with a token ring/ethernet card no sound card and an external SupraFAXModem. And when the 486 DX4-100 was reelased in the spring 94 I got one and it only runned Debian on it till it got sent to the dumpster. Yup I am an old man…

Hi Pierre

I did that, installed Mint on it using USB stick where I burned the Mint .iso file. Works fine but it gets the graphics adapter wronmg, which has been the case every time I install Mint…not an issue here.

I tried making an image of ACID on a USB stick but it won’t boot, which seemed odd. ACID was the first one I used in 2009 and still have my main repeater on 28599 running it.

As for older distros, I’ve been using Slackware since 94, and before that Yggdrasil distro (which went away but they published a great book then called the Linux Bible)

As for compiling, I’ve had nothing but headaches compiling the more recent source code. Broken Makefiles, etc. It was way, way better when the Duuuude was still with us. So maybe I’ll give that a try but I just know it won’t work…

Take care…

GeorgeC W2DB 28599, 49089

···

From: Pierre Martel via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 7:32 AM
To: george@dyb.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] VIA chipset/procvessor

Pierre_Martel
February 24

I have installed Acid on a thin client a few years ago, never did use Dial on those.

What I would first sujest to you is to first mount a debian live cd image on the usb stick just to see if it boot a vanilla distro. then you can just install that distro and if not crazy N4IRS made a script or a list of command that will install the latest version of Allstarlink onto that system.

Been working with debian linux since 94. before the code name before packaging, when a real man could compile its kernel and everything was on source code. No binary or such things :wink:

At first I was running this on my old 386 that had a 40MB hard disk with a token ring/ethernet card no sound card and an external SupraFAXModem. And when the 486 DX4-100 was reelased in the spring 94 I got one and it only runned Debian on it till it got sent to the dumpster. Yup I am an old man…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I would test with a version 9 debian, the early one cause it still had the support for the sound card we need.

I think that the acid or dial version have kind of less kernels modules for some chipset that will prevent booting from it.

take a look here for the install script.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/ASL_FAQ#Can_ASL_be_installed_on_an_existing_Linux_install.2C_for_example_on_a_VM_running_Debian.3F

I don’t remember changing the Makefiles. I have to admit all testing
was done on Debian and Raspbian. No problems at all compiling and
running code. Not much else I can say.

Steve N4IRS
···

On 2/24/2020 11:51 AM, George Csahanin
via AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

George_Csahanin
George_Csahanin

February 24

Hi Pierre

I did that, installed

Mint on it using USB stick where I burned the Mint .iso
file. Works fine but it gets the graphics adapter wronmg,
which has been the case every time I install Mint…not an
issue here.

I tried making an image

of ACID on a USB stick but it won’t boot, which seemed
odd. ACID was the first one I used in 2009 and still have
my main repeater on 28599 running it.

As for older distros,

I’ve been using Slackware since 94, and before that
Yggdrasil distro (which went away but they published a
great book then called the Linux Bible)

As for compiling, I’ve

had nothing but headaches compiling the more recent source
code. Broken Makefiles, etc. It was way, way better when
the Duuuude was still with us. So maybe I’ll give that a
try but I just know it won’t work…

Take care…

GeorgeC W2DB 28599,

··· (click for more details)

Visit Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Pierre_Martel
Pierre_Martel

February 24
        I have installed Acid on a thin

client a few years ago, never did use Dial on those. What I
would first sujest to you is to first mount a debian live cd
image on the usb stick just to see if it boot a vanilla
distro. then you can just install that distro and if not
crazy N4IRS made a script or a li…

Visit
Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list

mode.

could be the fact that it was a network install?

Le lun. 24 févr. 2020 à 12:32, Steve Zingman via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org a écrit :

···

N4IRS

February 24

I don’t remember changing the Makefiles. I have to admit all testing

was done on Debian and Raspbian. No problems at all compiling and

running code. Not much else I can say.

Steve N4IRS

··· (click for more details)

In Reply To

George_Csahanin

February 24

Hi Pierre I did that, installed Mint on it using USB stick where I burned the Mint .iso file. Works fine but it gets the graphics adapter wronmg, which has been the case every time I install Mint…not an issue here. I tried making an image of ACID on a USB stick but it won’t boot, which seemed odd.…

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

I followed Steve’s instructions on installing it…did it on mint. Now asterisk runs, no errors…but… LED on USB device doesn’t blink, no audio in ot out and the following:
[Feb 26 16:44:17] NOTICE[3090] dnsmgr.c: Managed DNS entries will be refreshed every 300 seconds.
[Feb 26 16:44:17] NOTICE[3090] cdr.c: CDR simple logging enabled.
[Feb 26 16:44:17] NOTICE[3090] loader.c: 57 modules will be loaded.
[Feb 26 16:44:18] NOTICE[3090] ./xpmr/xpmr.c: xpmr rxlpf: 0
[Feb 26 16:44:18] NOTICE[3090] ./xpmr/xpmr.c: xpmr rxhpf: 0
[Feb 26 16:44:18] NOTICE[3090] ./xpmr/xpmr.c: xpmr txlpf: 0
[Feb 26 16:44:18] NOTICE[3090] ./xpmr/xpmr.c: xpmr txhpf: 0
***[Feb 26 16:44:18] NOTICE[3096] app_rpt.c: Normal Repeater Init 1999 ***
[Feb 26 16:44:19] NOTICE[3113] chan_usbradio.c: Assigned USB device 4-2:1.0 to usbradio channel usb_1999
[Feb 26 16:44:19] WARNING[3113] chan_usbradio.c: Loaded parameters from usbradio_tune_usb_1999.conf for device usb_1999 .
[Feb 26 16:44:19] WARNING[3113] chan_usbradio.c: Unable to re-open DSP device 1 (usb_1999): No such file or directory
root@georgec-HP-t510-Thin-Client:/var/log/asterisk# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
*Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:2112 Dell Computer Corp. *
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:0084 Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
root@georgec-HP-t510-Thin-Client:/var/log/asterisk#

Asterisk seems to start but for whtever reason won’t find the USB sound device. But it is there 0d8c:000c on Bus4 Device 2.

Memory of all of these situations not as well as it used to be so asking for help here. Where should I look

GeorgeC W2DB

I fixed this problem by loading ASL 1.01 on this thin client then adding wifi support. Works fine…

But something not right with the instructions on adding asterisk ASL to a running ubuntu/mint/debian box

GeorgeC

If I had to guess, I would say your Mint install did not support oss.

···

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020, 1:38 AM George Csahanin via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

w2db

February 28

I fixed this problem by loading ASL 1.01 on this thin client then adding wifi support. Works fine…

But something not right with the instructions on adding asterisk ASL to a running ubuntu/mint/debian box

GeorgeC

In Reply To

George_Csahanin

February 26

I followed Steve’s instructions on installing it…did it on mint. Now asterisk runs, no errors…but… LED on USB device doesn’t blink, no audio in ot out and the following: [Feb 26 16:44:17] NOTICE[3090] dnsmgr.c: Managed DNS entries will be refreshed every 300 seconds. [Feb 26 16:44:17] NOTICE[3090]…

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

Interesting. Something to check for sure. I blew up that install on the SSD but last night started another Mint install on another drive. Will check that. The ASL on the box does work, all but the WiFi, for some reason the adapter comes up for a few seconds then stops, delay, do it all over again. I’m sure I have something wrong in a script

Thanks Steve.
GeorgeC