Using MQTT to monitor connection status

Here is a 1 minute video demonstrating another way MQTT can be used on your Allstar server. I am using it to monitor the connection status to other nodes. On the app side on the phone there is an icon that looks like an LED. If the node is connected to my node the LED is green. If it is not connected the LED goes to red. Additional alerts, vibrations, sound alarms, auto reconnect scripts and more could be set up, but just the visual indicator is enough for my use case.

Notice though the delay… it is only about 300ms between the connection status changing to the app seeing it. That is a pretty quick notification rate. The best thing about the MQTT protocol is that the system is so lightweight that you probably would not even see a 1% increase in system resource usage. Super light, super fast, free, open source and very extensible - what more could ya’ want or of a messaging protocol?

YouTube Video link is here: https://youtu.be/M2wnmIV-o74

73’s

Jae KG5EBI

This looks very interesting. I watched your YouTube video showing the end product. Would you mind sharing the installation/configuration steps to integrate MQTT to your Allstar node please?

1 Like