The old Allstar Link web transceiver

I know it was all but deprecated due to modern browsers not supporting it, but now I can’t even find the link. Did this get lost in the site move or has the web transceiver been shut down completely now?

It would be a big undertaking but that would be a pretty cool concept for a mobile app. Has anyone been around long enough to know who originally coded the one in Java?

The web transceiver is still around. On the nodes list look for the little ‘wt’ next to the node number. You can click that to launch the web transceiver. Type wt in the column filter box to see all active nodes that have the web transceiver enabled.

There is an Android app called Android iax_rpt but it’s functionality is limited to connecting to your own nodes, like Zoiper is.

We really do need a modern replacement for the web transceiver.

The biggest and most important hurdle would be the security to ensure it can’t be abused by hams and the public alike. This would be a tall challenge without an API for authenticating the clients against the ASL’s backend of registered users. The app and the voip would be relatively simple, the authentication and gatekeeping is the trick. Hiring developers? haha

Thanks for the reply and I like the WT being linked right within the table, nicely done.

Not sure the feature is still available. Clicked on the “wt” next to my node (52968) and there is a web transceiver box on the right but I can’t do anything with it.

No major Web Browser supports Java these days. So you’re kinda’ out of luck unless you want to get out of mainstream browserville. You might try https://www.palemoon.org last time I check it still supports Java.

The setup instructions are here https://wiki.allstarlink.org/w/images/a/a8/Web_Transceiver_Setup_Help.pdf

Thanks for the tip! It does work with palemoon. The setup instructions are straightforward. As usual with computer setup, it took a little monkeying around to get it up and running. Not sure yet if I can make a contact, will need to prearrange a time and node with someone. I will do some experimenting and then move on to a RasPi setup.

Wes
WA6JYK

···

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 08:40:52 PM PST, Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| wd6awp ASL Admin
November 11 |

• | - |

No major Web Browser supports Java these days. So you’re kinda’ out of luck unless you want to get out of mainstream browserville. You might try https://www.palemoon.org last time I check it still supports Java.

The setup instructions are here https://wiki.allstarlink.org/w/images/a/a8/Web_Transceiver_Setup_Help.pdf

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| wewinkler
November 10 |

• | - |

Not sure the feature is still available. Clicked on the “wt” next to my node (52968) and there is a web transceiver box on the right but I can’t do anything with it.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thanks for the tip guys, I too was able to get it working with Palemoon. I also updated my privatenodes.txt file with my callsign and info, so it populates on the allmon web portal for the node when I connect.

One question though, how does one provide information for the allstarlink site?

There’ s a node, 40894 I think is the #, that you can connect to to check. The node plays back what you say. I use it a lot to check my node for sound and all other things you might want a radio check for. You may have to key up 2 times, rarely keys up for me on 1st key up, maybe 1st time is to wake it up. Hope someone finds this helpful. If you didn’t know it is there for you to use, now you do.

···

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM Ian Venable via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| k6ian
November 12 |

• | - |

Thanks for the tip guys, I too was able to get it working with Palemoon. I also updated my privatenodes.txt file with my callsign and info, so it populates on the allmon web portal for the node when I connect.

One question though, how does one provide information for the allstarlink site?

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I never got around to coding that into the new site, sorry.