So it Has Come to This?

Take a look at the pre-release of ASL 1.02 on github.

An effort is underway to update the Pi image. Nothing has been released, but it does work on the Pi 4.

It’s so unfortunate when someone flagrantly disregards licensing for open source software and the spirit with which it was originally founded and released. Not to mention the spirit and ethos of amateur radio in general. I truly hope that the board involves EFF in this and forces compliance for the betterment of the community.

Generally if you have a really good contribution you want to get it out there, but if it’s just FUD…

I haven’t completely unwound everything in ASL yet to figure out what’s going on. Phone guys do stuff differently than computer guys, who do stuff differently than amateur radio guys. I have a pi4 here with a NICERF SA818 UHF hat I need to get working. I have fired it up on hamvoip but that leaves a lot to be desired. System cron jobs shouldn’t be set by users, and there’s no package management along the lines of apt, yum, dnf. That was just tip of the iceberg stuff, I’m sure there’s more if I dig deeper. Let me grab 1.0.2 and play with it over the next few days.

There are several of us here that can help with 1.02 and who believe in the ideals (not just adhering to clear licensing) of Open Source Software. I’m running 1.02 right now with the latest DAHDI and no OSS (the sound system lol). Running on the last 4.19 kernel I think it was (5.x branch won’t work just yet).

Nice to hear that you have 1.02 running.

But a little question, do you have a usb node connected to it?
I know that radio less nodes ( hubs) are far easier to run on a new kernel then the one with a USB interface.

···

Le mer. 26 août 2020 à 18:47, JJC via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| JJC
August 26 |

• | - |

There are several of us here that can help with 1.02 and who believe in the ideals (not just adhering to clear licensing) of Open Source Software. I’m running 1.02 right now with the latest DAHDI and no OSS (the sound system lol). Running on the last 4.19 kernel I think it was (5.x branch won’t work just yet).

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| N7YMW
August 26 |

• | - |

I haven’t completely unwound everything in ASL yet to figure out what’s going on. Phone guys do stuff differently than computer guys, who do stuff differently than amateur radio guys. I have a pi4 here with a NICERF SA818 UHF hat I need to get working. I have fired it up on hamvoip but that leave…

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yes, using a URIx without issue on an RPI4

No hickups? I will have to test this!
Are you running Usbradio or Simpleusb?

···

Le mer. 26 août 2020 à 22:38, JJC via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| JJC
August 27 |

• | - |

Yes, using a URIx without issue on an RPI4

In Reply To

| Pierre_Martel
August 27 |

• | - |

Nice to hear that you have 1.02 running. But a little question, do you have a usb node connected to it? I know that radio less nodes ( hubs) are far easier to run on a new kernel then the one with a USB interface. ··· (click for more details)

usbradio - Alsa, pulse and osspd to emulate oss

Don’t worry, be happy while I take the hard work of others and don’t give back. What a disgrace!

1 Like

Selfish thieves in denial using distraction to avoid the simple fact that taking open source code and closing it is wrong and harmful to the community.

“…enjoy yourself, this is a hobby.” - irrelevant misdirection.

“There are several different AllStar solutions available and that’s a good thing.” - yes, and they should all be open source benefiting the community as Jim Dixon intended and the license requires.

“Don’t get distracted listening to QRN…” - ie.:Don’t get distracted by the truth and by the fact you are using stolen code and slowing development of a project intended to serve all hams. You sound like Trump- if you just keep distracting and telling the lies over and over many people will believe you or just give up. This changes nothing and you still are in the wrong and should be ashamed. Apologize and open the code. You are a disgrace to the ham community but redemption and repair are easily attained. So far you have shown neither the humility nor strength of character to do what is right.

“The technologies,software,hardware,designs,drawing,schematics,board layouts and/or artwork,concepts,methodologies (including the use of all of these,and that which derived from the use of all these), all other intellectual properties, contained herein,and all intellectual property rights have been and shall continue to be expressly for the benefit of all mankind, and are perpetually placed in the public domain, and may be used, copied, and/or modified by anyone, in any manner, for any legal purpose, without restriction.”

So where are the sources for the hamvoip distro so that I can modify what is public domain as it is clearly stated that " The technologies,software,hardware,designs,drawing,schematics,board layouts and/or artwork,concepts,methodologies (including the use of all of these,and that which derived from the use of all these), all other intellectual properties, contained herein,and all intellectual property rights have been and shall continue to be expressly for the benefit of all mankind…" do mean that the code that use app_rpt or dirived from is supposed to be public domain.

···

Le jeu. 27 août 2020 à 02:52, David McGough via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| David_McGough
August 27 |

• | - |

Jim Dixon included a document WITH EVERY SOURCE CODE RELEASE that dedicated app_rpt and all supporting technologies to the public domain. This is the purest form of Open Source. For reference, take a look at the statement at the bottom of this file, which was part of the XIPAR release:

https://github.com/ajpaul25/XIPAR_Asterisk/blob/master/apps/rpt_flow.pdf

If these were not Jim’s true wishes, why did this document exist? This file was even included with Digium’s source releases! It was always in Jim’s personal SVN code tree, for which he allowed me to clone, before he passed. Why wasn’t this file removed or updated, if his wishes changed?? —He clearly had direct control of his SVN repository.

Your comments come down to the trying to pull the wacky US political “cancel culture” into the mix. If history and truth doesn’t align with the “party line” that is being pushed, well cancel it. The solution is simple: Just apologize, accept “the truth” and do it “our way” and all will be fine. I’m disappointed.

Not much surprises me any more. As I’ve always stated: The HamVoIP release will continue to be freely available for use in any legal purpose, as per Jim’s wishes.

73, David KB4FXC

In Reply To

| kk6qms
August 27 |

• | - |

Selfish thieves in denial using distraction to avoid the simple fact that taking open source code and closing it is wrong and harmful to the community. “…enjoy yourself, this is a hobby.” - irrelevant misdirection. “There are several different AllStar solutions available and that’s a good thing.” …

The term “public domain” refers to creative materials that are not protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright, trademark, or patent laws. The public owns these works, not an individual author or artist. Anyone can use a public domain work without obtaining permission, but no one can ever own it.

···

Le jeu. 27 août 2020 à 11:05, Pierre Martel <petem001@gmail.com> a écrit :

“The technologies,software,hardware,designs,drawing,schematics,board layouts and/or artwork,concepts,methodologies (including the use of all of these,and that which derived from the use of all these), all other intellectual properties, contained herein,and all intellectual property rights have been and shall continue to be expressly for the benefit of all mankind, and are perpetually placed in the public domain, and may be used, copied, and/or modified by anyone, in any manner, for any legal purpose, without restriction.”

So where are the sources for the hamvoip distro so that I can modify what is public domain as it is clearly stated that " The technologies,software,hardware,designs,drawing,schematics,board layouts and/or artwork,concepts,methodologies (including the use of all of these,and that which derived from the use of all these), all other intellectual properties, contained herein,and all intellectual property rights have been and shall continue to be expressly for the benefit of all mankind…" do mean that the code that use app_rpt or dirived from is supposed to be public domain.

Le jeu. 27 août 2020 à 02:52, David McGough via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| David_McGough
August 27 |

• | - |

Jim Dixon included a document WITH EVERY SOURCE CODE RELEASE that dedicated app_rpt and all supporting technologies to the public domain. This is the purest form of Open Source. For reference, take a look at the statement at the bottom of this file, which was part of the XIPAR release:

If these were not Jim’s true wishes, why did this document exist? This file was even included with Digium’s source releases! It was always in Jim’s personal SVN code tree, for which he allowed me to clone, before he passed. Why wasn’t this file removed or updated, if his wishes changed?? —He clearly had direct control of his SVN repository.

Your comments come down to the trying to pull the wacky US political “cancel culture” into the mix. If history and truth doesn’t align with the “party line” that is being pushed, well cancel it. The solution is simple: Just apologize, accept “the truth” and do it “our way” and all will be fine. I’m disappointed.

Not much surprises me any more. As I’ve always stated: The HamVoIP release will continue to be freely available for use in any legal purpose, as per Jim’s wishes.

73, David KB4FXC

In Reply To

| kk6qms
August 27 |

• | - |

Selfish thieves in denial using distraction to avoid the simple fact that taking open source code and closing it is wrong and harmful to the community. “…enjoy yourself, this is a hobby.” - irrelevant misdirection. “There are several different AllStar solutions available and that’s a good thing.” …

I think this is a missed opportunity for HamVoIP. David seems to have put a lot of effort into the product, but it could be so much better if others could contribute. At this point, I’m not sure what is to be gained by withholding the source code. Eventually other distributions will match HamVoIP’s feature set and even surpass it. HamVoIP will be ineligible to integrate those GPL protected contributions without opening its source or re-basing. We’d all get to a better place a whole lot sooner if we worked together.

1 Like

That is why I will always ask for source from them. If we play as a team we all win. If we play divided we all lose.

···

Le jeu. 27 août 2020 à 22:15, kc1kcc via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| kc1kcc
August 28 |

• | - |

I think this is a missed opportunity for HamVoIP. David seems to have put a lot of effort into the product, but it could be so much better if others could contribute. At this point, I’m not sure what is to be gained by withholding the source code. Eventually other distributions will match HamVoIP’s feature set and even surpass it. HamVoIP will be ineligible to integrate those GPL protected contributions without opening its source or re-basing. We’d all get to a better place a whole lot sooner if we worked together.

Yes it is a missed opportunity, but all he has to do is take the new, revised, and better open source code written by others and include it in his closed version And he gets the best of both by means of what is essentially theft. Until someone with real $$$& to make something of it legally in the courts to enforce the gpl he wins. It may be time to settle this once and for all and defend the gpl which it’s licensed under but who is going to put up the $$$$ to make the challenge.

Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

···

On Aug 27, 2020, at 7:15 PM, kc1kcc via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| kc1kcc
August 28 |

• | - |

Previous Replies

| Pierre_Martel
August 27 |

• | - |

The term “public domain” refers to creative materials that are not protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright, trademark, or patent laws. The public owns these works, not an individual author or artist. Anyone can use a public domain work without obtaining permission, but no one can ever own it.

··· (click for more details)

| Pierre_Martel
August 27 |

• | - |

| David_McGough
August 27 |

• | - |

73, David KB4FXC

| kk6qms
August 27 |

• | - |

Selfish thieves in denial using distraction to avoid the simple fact that taking open source code and closing it is wrong and harmful to the community.

“…enjoy yourself, this is a hobby.” - irrelevant misdirection.

“There are several different AllStar solutions available and that’s a good thing.” - yes, and they should all be open source benefiting the community as Jim Dixon intended and the license requires.

“Don’t get distracted listening to QRN…” - ie.:Don’t get distracted by the truth and by the fact you are using stolen code and slowing development of a project intended to serve all hams. You sound like Trump- if you just keep distracting and telling the lies over and over many people will believe you or just give up. This changes nothing and you still are in the wrong and should be ashamed. Apologize and open the code. You are a disgrace to the ham community but redemption and repair are easily attained. So far you have shown neither the humility nor strength of character to do what is right.

| wd6awp ASL Admin
August 27 |

• | - |

Don’t worry, be happy while I take the hard work of others and don’t give back. What a disgrace!

Or maybe he has a change of heart. With everything that’s going wrong in the world right now, I feel like we should be mending relationships wherever we can.

Eric,

LET IT DIE!

This list was almost back to being civil. Why don’t you take the worms
and go fish some place else.

Larry - N7FM

···

On 8/27/20 7:47 PM, Eric via AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

[eric.fort.listmail] eric.fort.listmail
https://community.allstarlink.org/u/eric.fort.listmail
August 28

Yes it is a missed opportunity, but all he has to do is take the new,
revised, and better open source code written by others and include it in
his closed version And he gets the best of both by means of what is
essentially theft. Until someone with real $$$& to make something of it
legally in the courts to enforce the gpl he wins. It may be time to
settle this once and for all and defend the gpl which it’s licensed
under but who is going to put up the $$$$ to make the challenge.

Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/19

Visit Topic
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/19 or
reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

[kc1kcc] kc1kcc https://community.allstarlink.org/u/kc1kcc
August 28

I think this is a missed opportunity for HamVoIP. David seems to have
put a lot of effort into the product, but it could be so much better if
others could contribute. At this point, I’m not sure what is to be
gained by withholding the source code. Eventually other distributions
will match HamVoIP…

Previous Replies

[Pierre_Martel] Pierre_Martel
https://community.allstarlink.org/u/pierre_martel
August 28

That is why I will always ask for source from them. If we play as a team
we all win. If we play divided we all lose.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/18
August 28

will match HamVoIP’s feature set and even surpass it. HamVoIP will be
ineligible to integrate those GPL protected contributions without
opening its source or re-basing. We’d all get to a better place a whole
lot sooner if we worked together.

August 27

The term “public domain” refers to creative materials that are not
protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright, trademark, or
patent laws. The public owns these works, not an individual author or
artist. Anyone can use a public domain work without obtaining
permission, but no one can ever own it.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/16
August 27

“The technologies,software,hardware,designs,drawing,schematics,board
layouts and/or artwork,concepts,methodologies (including the use of all
of these,and that which derived from the use of all these), all other
intellectual properties, contained herein,and all intellectual property
rights have been and shall continue to be expressly for the benefit of
all mankind, and are perpetually placed in the public domain, and may be
used, copied, and/or modified by anyone, in any manner, for any legal
purpose, without restriction.”

So where are the sources for the hamvoip distro so that I can modify
what is public domain as it is clearly stated that " The
technologies,software,hardware,designs,drawing,schematics,board layouts
and/or artwork,concepts,methodologies (including the use of all of
these,and that which derived from the use of all these), all other
intellectual properties, contained herein,and all intellectual property
rights have been and shall continue to be expressly for the benefit of
all mankind…" do mean that the code that use app_rpt or dirived from is
supposed to be public domain.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/15
[David_McGough] David_McGough
https://community.allstarlink.org/u/david_mcgough
August 27

Jim Dixon included a document WITH EVERY SOURCE CODE RELEASE that
dedicated app_rpt and all supporting technologies to the public domain.
This is the purest form of Open Source. For reference, take a look at
the statement at the bottom of this file, which was part of the XIPAR
release:

XIPAR_Asterisk/apps/rpt_flow.pdf at master · ajpaul25/XIPAR_Asterisk · GitHub

If these were not Jim’s true wishes, why did this document exist? This
file was even included with Digium’s source releases! It was always in
Jim’s personal SVN code tree, for which he allowed me to clone, before
he passed. Why wasn’t this file removed or updated, if his wishes
changed?? —He clearly had direct control of his SVN repository.

Your comments come down to the trying to pull the wacky US political
“cancel culture” into the mix. If history and truth doesn’t align with
the “party line” that is being pushed, well cancel it. The solution is
simple: Just apologize, accept “the truth” and do it “our way” and all
will be fine. I’m disappointed.

Not much surprises me any more. As I’ve always stated: The HamVoIP
release will continue to be freely available for use in any legal
purpose, as per Jim’s wishes.

73, David KB4FXC

Visit Topic
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/19 or

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
https://community.allstarlink.org/email/unsubscribe/12f3fc87361120096e8aafb0d9a18392c893dce86224214412e5322a718f4d16.

I was simply agreeing. The unfortunate and sad truth is that when 2 or more parties can not agree as to what the terms of copyright for intellectual property mean much less agree to the terms of how said copyrIght shall be put into practice the only way it gets settled is by judicial ruling/decree. Until one or the other parties decides to settle the dispute via a judicial process the one on violation wins. Just the way it is. Until then it’s all talk and posturing. This really ought be obvious to anyone withe red blood, respiration, and a heartbeat.

Eric

Sent using SMTP.

···

On Aug 27, 2020, at 8:25 PM, Larry via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| larry
August 28 |

• | - |

Eric,

LET IT DIE!

Larry - N7FM

In Reply To

| eric.fort.listmail
August 28 |

• | - |

Yes it is a missed opportunity, but all he has to do is take the new, revised, and better open source code written by others and include it in his closed version And he gets the best of both by means of what is essentially theft. Until someone with real $$$& to make something of it legally in the co…

Previous Replies

| kc1kcc
August 28 |

• | - |

Or maybe he has a change of heart. With everything that’s going wrong in the world right now, I feel like we should be mending relationships wherever we can.

| eric.fort.listmail
August 28 |

• | - |

Yes it is a missed opportunity, but all he has to do is take the new, revised, and better open source code written by others and include it in his closed version And he gets the best of both by means of what is essentially theft. Until someone with real $$$& to make something of it legally in the courts to enforce the gpl he wins. It may be time to settle this once and for all and defend the gpl which it’s licensed under but who is going to put up the $$$$ to make the challenge.

Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

| Pierre_Martel
August 28 |

• | - |

That is why I will always ask for source from them. If we play as a team we all win. If we play divided we all lose.

| kc1kcc
August 28 |

• | - |

| Pierre_Martel
August 27 |

• | - |

@larry one of the great features of Discourse is you can unfollow a topic. Please feel free to click the bell icon and you won’t be bothered further.

Eric,

I owe you a personal apology for for my uncalled for post the other day.

You were just an unfortunate victim who got sucked in to commenting on
what was soon to become the return of an ongoing RANT about the
ASL/Hamvoip issue. An issue that has been beat to death over and over
and over with no resolution.

My intent, get people to quit using the Allstar discussion group as a
feuding platform.
Sharing and helping should be the Groups goal.

It just happens that after a few previous posts. Nothing in your post,
Nothing directed at you personally but at the fact that ANY reply going
forward would only serve to fish for more and more comments, soon
reviving the OLD ongoing Rant that would add fuel to a feud that appears
more congenial lately.

Hence my uncalled for comment and You becoming it’s unintended victim.
I do apologize for it’s content and the way it was done.
Please do not take my poor judgment as anything personal. It was not!

Larry - N7FM

···

On 8/27/20 9:59 PM, Eric via AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

August 28

I was simply agreeing. The unfortunate and sad truth is that when 2 or
more parties can not agree as to what the terms of copyright for
intellectual property mean much less agree to the terms of how said
copyrIght shall be put into practice the only way it gets settled is by
judicial ruling/decree. Until one or the other parties decides to settle
the dispute via a judicial process the one on violation wins. Just the
way it is. Until then it’s all talk and posturing. This really ought be
obvious to anyone withe red blood, respiration, and a heartbeat.

Eric

Sent using SMTP.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/22

Visit Topic
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/22 or

In Reply To

[larry] larry https://community.allstarlink.org/u/larry
August 28

Eric, LET IT DIE! This list was almost back to being civil. Why don’t
you take the worms and go fish some place else. Larry - N7FM ··· (click
for more details)
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/21

Previous Replies

[larry] larry https://community.allstarlink.org/u/larry
August 28

Eric,

LET IT DIE!

Larry - N7FM

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/21
August 28

Or maybe he has a change of heart. With everything that’s going wrong in
the world right now, I feel like we should be mending relationships
wherever we can.

August 28

Yes it is a missed opportunity, but all he has to do is take the new,
revised, and better open source code written by others and include it in
his closed version And he gets the best of both by means of what is
essentially theft. Until someone with real $$$& to make something of it
legally in the courts to enforce the gpl he wins. It may be time to
settle this once and for all and defend the gpl which it’s licensed
under but who is going to put up the $$$$ to make the challenge.

Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/19
August 28

That is why I will always ask for source from them. If we play as a team
we all win. If we play divided we all lose.

https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/18
August 28

will match HamVoIP’s feature set and even surpass it. HamVoIP will be
ineligible to integrate those GPL protected contributions without
opening its source or re-basing. We’d all get to a better place a whole
lot sooner if we worked together.

Visit Topic
https://community.allstarlink.org/t/so-it-has-come-to-this/17484/22 or

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
https://community.allstarlink.org/email/unsubscribe/17d4626a6f962dd9c72bb73bbb08510e5eedc5b6ec1a2cd4f9b852d0551bb231.

1 Like