Remote timeout message

Trying to find out which variable to change...have two nodes on a server, one repeater full-duplex, the other a remote base half-duplex (RF link).

When I connect them together after a short period of being active I hear "remote timeout" and the system drops. I am then able to kerchunk and everything starts working again. If the remote is connected and idle, there is no timeout. A guess is probably 20-30 minutes before it happens.

Here is what I have defined:
[repeater]
;lnkactenable=0 ; Set to 1 to enable the link activity timer. Applicable to standard nodes only.
;lnkacttime=1800 ; Link activity timer time in seconds.
;lnkactmacro=*52 ; Function to execute when link activity timer expires.
;lnkacttimerwarn=30seconds ; Message to play when the link activity timer has 30 seconds left.
;remote_inact_timeout=1800 ; Inactivity timer for remote base nodes only (set to 0 to disable).
;remote_timeout=3600 ; Session time out for remote base. (set to 0 to disable)

[remote]
remote_inact_timeout=0 ; Inactivity timer for remote base nodes only (set to 0 to disable).
remote_timeout=0 ; Session time out for remote base. (set to 0 to disable)
--other settings like above removed--

Am I reading the docs wrong where the remote has its timeouts set to zero, should I include all options above and set to zero also? For these activity timers, is the local or remote end that applies?

Sorry I don't have more info or can readily try changes, my DSL isn't installed at the site yet, so its standalone for a while. I'll be stopping by to make a few changes and want to get this right.

Thanks,
Tony

Did you sort out? I get a timeout after 4min or so being keyed up. Trying to verify my radio TOT but get same message.

You might want to remove the comment to get the setting.
Some settings when not set do have a default. Can’t say if this is one of them but likely so.

I did not originally notice the post you and now I replied to was 12 years old.
You are getting a ‘remote timeout’ or a ‘repeater timeout’ ?

At around 4min of tx it says “node 48654 timeout” and radio stops TX.
Thx

That sounds like a repeater timeout.

So the COS of the node or attached/connected node must drop within the timeout timer period setting in your rpt.conf for that node.

totime=300000 ;5min

It should be noted as well that if you connect to the node in command mode, it is the same as a active cos and will give the same warning, so if you are using that, remember to drop command mode with a ‘#’ when done.

I might also mention, that while it can be hard to see someactivity, a echolink connect that forgets to drop the tx will continually timeout a connected node.

Thanks for the reply- useful info. None of that applies in my situation however. Revisited this again today and got timeout message after 4 to 5min- not exact. My totime is set to default 180000 - 3min. I even commented it out today and restarted asterisk but still times out. So far I have seen it w a few diff nodes during long tx periods and also tested it using rf into the node w same results. Not sure where else I might look for settings to adjust. Thx.

I doubt this is something you can adjust out.
It is timing out for a reason. You need to find the path of the time-out.

Does the node in question have a echolink port attached to it ?

And perhaps post your rpt.conf for better examination.

Yup my node has Echolink configured. I commented out the whole echolink.confg file but timeout persisted. I’m not comfortable posting my entire rpt.conf file. Seems to me the timeout is coming from somewhere why do you suggest it may not be something that could be adjusted? Thx.

Just a thought… Do you have Allmon or Supermon configured so you can watch your node key-up activities closer?

Might be something worth spinning up if you haven’t done so already, then keep an eye on the page while you’re linked with various other connections. lsnodes (another option) may also be helpful here.

Hope this helps,
Byron

Well, I am at a loss for ‘general ideas’. They could be to numerous, not worth picking at a few at a time.
Without a peek at the file, I can’t find possible typos or errors in the file.
You need to let some other eyes look at your rpt.conf file to possibly see what you do not.

Good luck.

1 Like