Rasp Pi Alternative ? Le Potatoe?

Has anyone tried Le Potatoe as a node computer ? Libre Computer Board AML-S905X-CC (Le Potato) 2GB 64-bit Mini Computer for 4K Media

Looks to be less than $50 driveout. Comments ? steve nu5d

I’m currently trying to get it to work, but it won’t compile the dahdi… I think asl-asterisk altogether should update for modern OSes… stretch already got a stretch for it’s money… Time to move on…

i am looking into a INOVATO QUATRA… it’s quad core comes with case, HDMI cable and a power adapter for $29.95… I tried to follow the Wiki for loading ALLSTARLiNK on to a Debian machine but the Wiki says there will be more information coming. THe claim is this INoVATo is as fast as a RPI3… So that’s good enough for ALLSTAR as I have 2 RPI2’s running allstar for over 5 years…
The iNOVATO comes preloaded with Debian Bullseye 64-bit Flashed on internal memory. The company claims it will run all kinds of RPI programs… Ham-PC will run on it…

Any help or collaboration appreciated …w8lm at aRRL period net.

Larry W8LM

Hello gentlemen, I recently succes to build ASL on my debian bullseye ARM64 (VM embedded on French ISP router).

You can find my fork on : GitHub - Artemia76/ASL-Asterisk at aarch64-portage
This fork change build script enable arm64 (thanks to encbar5) and my hack on direct IO access (sys/io.h) what doesn’t exist on arm64 architecture. For dahdi , I use the official asterisk/dahdi-linux github project

I already push my pull request on official github project.

I didn’t use debian packaging for this, only source build install. But another OM succes to change debian prepare script to enable bulleye post installation github F4HWD/ASL-Asterisk

I Think a merge of both forks can produce a working ASL-Asterisk on bulleye arm64 :slight_smile:

1 Like

They already have AllStarLink compiling/running on VMs.
We are trying to get DAHDI compiled on Libre Computer “Le Potatoe.”
I returned both Libre Computer I bought and got used RPi from eBay, got tired of no support from ASL.
Maybe in a near future it will all work and compile and the RPi monopoly will be over…

The issue is not the RPI, it’s ARM64. AllStar will build and run on armhf.
As to compiling on ARM64, update config.guess and config.sub (3 directories)
Either patch around sys/io.h or try the hack to replace sys/io.h
There is no RPi monopoly.

1 Like

I feel that way when you have to pay twice as much for it That is MY personal opinion which I am entitled to have. Also, if you follow Libre Computer posts, AllStar will not build on armhf. Nothing to do with AllStar or RPi, it’s Libre Computer.

N4IRS is right, the ASL-asterisk is aging, some C language code specific to Allstarlink date from mid of 2000 years. On our recent linux and fresh architecture, some method are deprecated. we try to adapt it to be useable on our hardware. That no easy because, the asl-asterisk source code is not really portable… The good thing in this story is the open source status of the project. It permit each one to push contribution to make the world better :slight_smile:

AllStar WILL build on armhf. The point is that a RPi is NOT required to run AllStar. I have built AllStar for a number of ARM SBC.

Okay for my part, the challenge was to build a server running on my ARM64 ISP server. I receive confirmation tonight that my work run on M1 apple . it’s succes for those want have ASL server working on recent arch. Please use my work as you want and use it for the happiness of all ASL community :slight_smile:

Correction: ASL will not build on armhf on Libre Computer. IT will build on other armhf boards, yes.
Check out the Libre Computer “Le Potatoe” (amazon has them for $37 I believe) and let it be your challenge… build ASL (and DAHDI specifically) :smiley:

Yeah, problem is contributions are outdated and nobody really jumping on the band wagon. Now that Debian 9 is EOL you are seeing more activity on the Beta 2.0.0

So, here is your chance to contribute. I am not going to buy yet another SBC. Odroids, FriendlyARM
are doing a great job of providing long term support for their hardware Someone can run with it.

1 Like

I returned the 2 Libre Computer I bought and went with RPi. Let me see if after the holidays I buy one and try it out.

Ok, so like I said, and to me a man’s word is very important… I got a Libre Computer after the holidays (again) and attempting to build AllStarLink ATM…

Quick question, if all goes well, are the older v1 .conf files 100% compatible with this “beta 2.0.0”?

EDIT:

Ok, so it is compiling, but no dahdi… See below

AllStarLink Asterisk Version 2.0.0-beta 03/24/2021 GIT 695e49a
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2018 Digium, Inc. Jim Dixon and others
Copyright (C) 2018-2021 AllStarLink Inc.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.
=========================================================================
Connected to Asterisk GIT 695e49a currently running on repeater (pid = 676)
Verbosity was 0 and is now 1
[Nov 28 23:44:28] NOTICE[683]: app_rpt.c:22558 rpt_master: Normal Repeater Init 1999
[Nov 28 23:44:28] WARNING[699]: chan_dahdi.c:928 dahdi_open: Unable to open ‘/dev/dahdi/pseudo’: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:44:28] ERROR[699]: chan_dahdi.c:7890 chandup: Unable to dup channel: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:44:28] WARNING[683]: app_rpt.c:22614 rpt_master: rpt_thread restarted on node 1999
[Nov 28 23:44:28] WARNING[700]: chan_dahdi.c:928 dahdi_open: Unable to open ‘/dev/dahdi/pseudo’: No such file or directory

Nov 28 23:45:20] ERROR[707]: chan_dahdi.c:7890 chandup: Unable to dup channel: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:45:22] NOTICE[683]: app_rpt.c:22602 rpt_master: RPT thread restarted on 1999
[Nov 28 23:45:22] WARNING[683]: app_rpt.c:22614 rpt_master: rpt_thread restarted on node 1999
[Nov 28 23:45:22] WARNING[708]: chan_dahdi.c:928 dahdi_open: Unable to open ‘/dev/dahdi/pseudo’: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:45:22] ERROR[708]: chan_dahdi.c:7890 chandup: Unable to dup channel: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:45:24] NOTICE[683]: app_rpt.c:22602 rpt_master: RPT thread restarted on 1999
[Nov 28 23:45:24] WARNING[683]: app_rpt.c:22614 rpt_master: rpt_thread restarted on node 1999
[Nov 28 23:45:24] WARNING[709]: chan_dahdi.c:928 dahdi_open: Unable to open ‘/dev/dahdi/pseudo’: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:45:24] ERROR[709]: chan_dahdi.c:7890 chandup: Unable to dup channel: No such file or directory
[Nov 28 23:45:26] ERROR[683]: app_rpt.c:22597 rpt_master: Continual RPT thread restarts, killing Asterisk
repeater*CLI>
Disconnected from Asterisk server
Executing last minute cleanups

Tried to compile asl-dahdi but got an error…

repeater@repeater:~/modules/asl-dahdi $ make
make -C drivers/dahdi/firmware firmware-loaders
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi/firmware’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi/firmware’
make -C /lib/modules/6.0.7-00590-gc893dc8b7efe/build M=/home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi DAHDI_INCLUDE=/home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/include DAHDI_MODULES_EXTRA=" " HOTPLUG_FIRMWARE=yes modules DAHDI_BUILD_ALL=m
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-6.0.7-00590-gc893dc8b7efe’
warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
The kernel was built by: gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
You are using: gcc (Raspbian 8.3.0-6+rpi1) 8.3.0
/home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi/Kbuild:61: CPU Architecture ‘arm64’ does not support VPMADT032 or HPEC. Skipping.
CC [M] /home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi/dahdi-base.o
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mgeneral-regs-only’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-msign-return-address=all’
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:249: /home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi/dahdi-base.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1852: /home/repeater/modules/asl-dahdi/drivers/dahdi] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-6.0.7-00590-gc893dc8b7efe’
make: *** [Makefile:74: modules] Error 2
repeater@repeater:~/modules/asl-dahdi $

Well, thanks for the hopes, but same issue as before… asl-dahdi module won’t compile on a Le Potato. Source code is too outdated. I bought an eMMC for it so I will use the Le Potato as a portable PC since now I have the SD Card slot available, I can use it to flash sd cards and also do other tasks that requires Linux AND it runs much faster (currently running Armbian on it from the eMMC feels like a regular PC)

I’m not getting the gist of the thread. If F4IKZ forked AllStar 2.0.0Beta and his fork is compiling on ARM64, isn’t Le Potato support simply a matter of cloning F4IKZ’s fork for ARM64 and cleaning up the build on Le Potato Raspbian (Debian 11.x)?

I have a buddy who mid-week tried compiling source on the Raspbian (Debian 10.x Buster) “armhf” distro from Libre Computer here:
https://distro.libre.computer/ci/raspbian/10/
and his build failed because he said the kernel in that distro was for whatever reason 64-bit but userland was 32-bit. He was re-building the 2.0.0Beta “armhf” targeted source from AllStarLink.org.

He was unaware of F4IKZ’s fork/port to ARM64 at the time.

73 de K6EEN

You can already install it from the beta repo without having to compile it (on the Libre Computer Le Potato.
Problem is the DAHDI that won’t run/install/compile. I tried the recompile approach and yes it compiled, but had same problem. Send this link to the other person trying to get this running on le potato and if you have a link to any info he has already posted please share it here.

Thanks!

I too have bought a few Quadras for this purpose. I finally got the sources to compile but dahdi is a problem, if fails calling for the kernel sources. You do not appear to have the sources for the 5.15.59-sunxi64 kernel installed I can’t find that source and not remembering where to put it. Used to be in /usr/src/
GeorgeC W2DB 2360