Problem loading asl or rpi to pi-4

I am new to this, so I might be making a newbie mistake,
but what is happening is I am trying to do an initial setup with mobaxterm ssh terminal program, I am getting a “network error : connection time out” message.
I have the pi-4 with wired ethernet cable and have the right ip address for the pi.
Any help is greatly apprciated.
Thanks
Dave

There is no version of ASL for the Pi4 yet. Pi3 but not 4. Sorry.

Don’t know if the ASL for Pi will work on a PI4 yet.
But one “common” problem is the SSH port number.
“stock” SSH port is 22, while for some reason it is
changed 222 in some versions of ASL;

Yes that is the problem that I am having, SSH port 222 will not do anything for me.

hamvoip.org has PI4 setup

Yes I have gotten the rpi file from hamvoip loaded to the pi4, but I get a network error: connection time out with the ssh 222 port.
Dave

You guys need to go to hamvoip! They understand how the software works. And they can document it. You won’t find that here.

I think HamVoIP SSH is on port 222. There could be any number of reasons you can’t reach it. The obvious one (but I have to ask) is are you sure you have the right IP address? Do you get a login prompt from the console and can you login from there?

Yes I have the right ip address for the pi4, but I have been investigating from raspberrypi.org, that I have to enable ssh. I don’t have a separate monitor to look into this after the pi4 has booted. I thought I would be able to do this without a screen.

The HamVoIP distro comes ready to run, you don’t need to enable ssh (or anything else). The initial sshd port is 222. The IP address is flashed in slow CW on the RPi LED after the board boots. For example, if you IP address is: 192.168.1.10, you’ll see this CW: HI HI 192.168.1.10 …The message will repeat 3 times.

Also, the IP address is announced audibly over the transmitter, once the RPi boots. If you’ve got a sound fob, listen to the headphone audio for the IP address.

Hi David. This is the problem I am having, I have the right ip address, but when I open a new session with mobaxterm and try to open ssh port 222, I get a network error: connection time out error.

Try pinging the IP address of the RPi4. Does it respond?

Also, try going to the IP address using a web browser. You should see a screen saying:

THIS IS A TEST !

If you see this the web server is working.

Does this work?

73, David KB4FXC

Hi David- yes I pinged the ip address and brought the ip address in web browser and got the response of THIS IS A TEST!.
I ran the first time set up and completed it with no problem.
But when I interfaced the radio and booted the pi4, it did not announce my call sign or
ip address of my node and did not hear squelch or carrier on the radio. I have checked the cable connection from the radio to the interface it seems to be in order.

Hi Dave,

So, you were able to get through the first time setup? Were you using
MobaXterm for this step?? And, after rebooting, ssh now times out?

I would guess either the ssh port got changed accidentally or the SD Card
got corrupted, somehow? Make sure not to pull the power on the RPi4
during the setup or booting process, that could corrupt the SD card.

Probably the simplest thing to do is just re-flash the card and start
over, since initial setup goes quickly.

BTW, what type of sound fob are you using? Not that it really matters,
just curious.

73, David KB4FXC

···

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020, Dave Chavez via AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

Hi David- yes I pinged the ip address and brought the ip address in web browser and got the response of THIS IS A TEST!.
I ran the first time set up and completed it with no problem.
But when I interfaced the radio and booted the pi4, it did not announce my call sign or
ip address of my node and did not hear squelch or carrier on the radio. I have checked the cable connection from the radio to the interface it seems to be in order.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi David
I was able to go through the setup with Mobaxterm without ssh timing out. I interfaced the radio to the pi4 and rebooted and I did not hear any announcement from the radio for my call sign, node or IP address.
I am using the Rim-lite interface and a Bridgecom BCM 220 radio.
I will at your suggestion to reflash the sd card and go through the setup again and I let you know how that goes.