Not sure what to do next?

Hello,

I just finished setting up my node. I have it connected to a Motorola CDM750 via a RIM Maxtrac. I completed the first time menu and the node setup menu. All “seems” ok except I don’t see my node listed and I’m not sure how to connect to someone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Adam N2ACF - Node 50408

UPDATE: I had the wrong Node password entered which I did fix. I now see my node listed.

However, still not sure what to do next or how to connect to see if the radio is fully working.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam,

I you have your node setup correctly, you should be able to use DTMF codes to make a connection to another Allstarlink node.

Try connecting to a node on the node list.

The default command to make a connection is *3 (Node Number) to make a connection to node 2000 it would be *3 2000

To disconnect *1 (node number) to disconnect from node 2000 it would be *1 2000

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Adam Feuer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 4:58 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] Not sure what to do next?

N2ACF
September 23

Hello,

I just finished setting up my node. I have it connected to a Motorola CDM750 via a RIM Maxtrac. I completed the first time menu and the node setup menu. All “seems” ok except I don’t see my node listed and I’m not sure how to connect to someone.

Adam N2ACF - Node 50408

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the reply! I did try that with several node numbers, but nothing happens. I’m not sure how to tell that my node radios receive audio and DTMF is being decoded.

I hear myself out of the radios internal speaker and I have pin 8 set for active high, but no connection ever occurs. I’m also pretty useless when it comes to Linux.

Adam N2ACF

Adam,

Have you gone through setting your audio levels on your node.

See the wiki here.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Calibrating_Audio_Levels

Here is a video explaining part the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-Uq_Ge1_U

Hope this helps.

Marshall

···

From: Adam Feuer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:35 AM

N2ACF
September 24

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the reply! I did try that with several node numbers, but nothing happens. I’m not sure how to tell that my node radios receive audio and DTMF is being decoded.

I hear myself out of the radios internal speaker and I have pin 8 set for active high, but no connection ever occurs. I’m also pretty useless when it comes to Linux.

Adam N2ACF

Previous Replies

Marshall_Oldham ASL Admin
September 24

Adam,

I you have your node setup correctly, you should be able to use DTMF codes to make a connection to another Allstarlink node.

The default command to make a connection is *3 (Node Number) to make a connection to node 2000 it would be *3 2000

Marshall - ke6pcv

··· (click for more details)

N2ACF
September 24

UPDATE: I had the wrong Node password entered which I did fix. I now see my node listed.

However, still not sure what to do next or how to connect to see if the radio is fully working.

Thanks!

Adam

N2ACF
September 23

Hello,

Adam N2ACF - Node 50408

HI Marshall,

I took a look at it by choosing it from the menu, but when I see those Linux (DOS looking) screens, I get nervous! (LOL)

So, no…technically I didn’t but in looking at the one video you sent, I’d really like to see my receive audio deflect on the screen. I’ll try tonight…(can you come over for dinner??)

Adam

Adam,

Hopefully you have a way to either connect a screen and keyboard directly to the Pi or SSH into the Pi remotely.

Marshall

···

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:30 AM

N2ACF
September 24

HI Marshall,

I took a look at it by choosing it from the menu, but when I see those Linux (DOS looking) screens, I get nervous! (LOL)

So, no…technically I didn’t but in looking at the one video you sent, I’d really like to see my receive audio deflect on the screen. I’ll try tonight…(can you come over for dinner??)

Adam

Previous Replies

September 24

Adam,

See the wiki here.

Hope this helps.

Marshall

N2ACF
September 24

Hi Marshall,

Adam N2ACF

September 24

Adam,

Marshall - ke6pcv

N2ACF
September 24

Thanks!

Adam

N2ACF
September 23

Hello,

Adam N2ACF - Node 50408

Yes, I do. I have the screen & keyboard still connected. As to what to do with them, well that’s another story. The two links you sent are good but something tells me that I’ll still have questions!

Thanks!

When I attempt to do this later this evening, I think I’ll run into some questions. In the Wiki link you gave me, it’s command line driven which is a week point for me.

The video you sent looks easy enough BUT before he gets to the colored menu, he mentions something about root and appears to be command line driven at first too.

I’m not sure how to get to root. My node is sitting on the ASL Main Menu.

Adam,

You should be able to do much of what you need to do to setup your node with the ASL menu system.

Marshall

···

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:50 AM

N2ACF
September 24

When I attempt to do this later this evening, I think I’ll run into some questions. In the Wiki link you gave me, it’s command line driven which is a week point for me.

The video you sent looks easy enough BUT before he gets to the colored menu, he mentions something about root and appears to be command line driven at first too.

Previous Replies

N2ACF
September 24

Yes, I do. I have the screen & keyboard still connected. As to what to do with them, well that’s another story. The two links you sent are good but something tells me that I’ll still have questions!

Thanks!

September 24

Adam,

Hopefully you have a way to either connect a screen and keyboard directly to the Pi or SSH into the Pi remotely.

Marshall

N2ACF
September 24

HI Marshall,

Adam

September 24

Adam,

See the wiki here.

Hope this helps.

Marshall

N2ACF
September 24

Hi Marshall,

Adam N2ACF

So, I’m in front of the screen now. From the ASL Main Menu, I chose Option 3 'Run Radio tune menu for USBradio configuration" and it says "USBradio must be enabled in modules.conf and selected in rpt.conf.

I then tried Option 4 for the simpleUSB tune and it says that SimpleUSB must be enabled in modules.conf and selected in rpt.conf.

Any idea?

Adam,

There are two different channel drivers that you can use.

Probably best to start with simpleusb.

You need to edit the configuration files and they are located in the following area /etc/asterisk/

you should see several files the two you need to edit are modules.conf and rpt.conf

In rpt.conf you will see something that looks like this at the top of the file.

;rxchannel=Radio/usb ; Example usbradio channel driver

rxchannel=SimpleUSB/usb ; Example simpleusb channel driver

;rxchannel=dahdi/pseudo ; Example pseudo channel driver

···

notice how rxchannel=SimpleUSB does not have a ; in front of it?

The ; in front of the line tells the system to ignore that line.

So if a line has a ; in front, that is called “commented out” or ignored.

That is how you enable items in the .conf files

Marshall

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:36 PM

N2ACF
September 24

So, I’m in front of the screen now. From the ASL Main Menu, I chose Option 3 'Run Radio tune menu for USBradio configuration" and it says "USBradio must be enabled in modules.conf and selected in rpt.conf.

I then tried Option 4 for the simpleUSB tune and it says that SimpleUSB must be enabled in modules.conf and selected in rpt.conf.

Any idea?

Previous Replies

September 24

Adam,

You should be able to do much of what you need to do to setup your node with the ASL menu system.

Marshall

N2ACF
September 24

N2ACF
September 24

Thanks!

September 24

Adam,

Marshall

N2ACF
September 24

HI Marshall,

Adam

Okay, when you say edit the configuration files, how do I get to them from the main menu?

And if I’m able to get there, should I enter what your example show or are there other parameters that I have to enter?

If I’m successful even getting there, how do I save them?