Newcomer to AllStar from a Raspberry PiRLP - I'm aware of Rules and Discontinuation, looking for answers

Good morning all,

Please bear with me and I will explain what I’m attempting to accomplish as I know IRLP has left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth for various reasons. I have spent days scouring through this community forum and only getting pieces of information I need but nothing to solve my issue and project. I would prefer to NOT spend any more money for something new when I should be able to utilize what I already have with a very limited budget.

** What I would like to do is perform a complete conversion of my existing PiRLP hardware to AllStar with ZERO afiliation to IRLP; I only want to utilize the hardware for PTT, COS, and DTMF as its already there and integrated into something I already own.

Here is what I have:
1 - Alinco DR-135T + the interface cable to the IRLP board

2 - Raspberry Pi 1+ (currently in use with ASL and registered node # 55785, AND Raspberry Pi 4 (if needed instead)

3 - CM108 USB Sound Card

I found some documentation from Kyle - K0KN but it does not specify how to configure ASL to trigger the GPIO for the IRLP board. I also found documentation related to simpleusb.conf to add a few lines to disable parport but this also does not point it to GPIO

There is several bits of documentation from others that wanted to do the same thing but I am not getting the information I need in order to make it work. So here is the $64.00 question…one again for those who may be tired of hearing it. Here are a few questions:

1 - What exactly do I need to configure within the ASL menu to trigger the PTT, access the COS, and decode the DTMF from the IRLP board hardware?

2 - If the option to set the ;rxchannel = Pi/1 is available in rpt.conf, why cannot I select it in the initial setup as it looks like its either hidden or not an option from that point?

3 - If I change the rpt.conf to remove the " ; " from the rxchannel = Pi/1 to enable the PiTA and comment out the SimpleUSB, do I need to add usb_55785 after it to point it to SimpleUSB as selected in initial setup or if using that does it need to be something completely different?

I’m at a loss as I’m failing to find the pertinent information I need to complete this and I know its possible as Google search results many comments of it being successful but nobody is explaining how.

Thanks in advance,
Shaun - KB3CXQ

It seems to me you are requiring the most difficult solution: the IRLP board with its proprietary interface and software. I recommend you purchase a simple audio fob for a couple of bucks and modify it (eBay).

https://www.hamvoip.org/hamradio/usb_fob_simple_modification/

This will meet your needs and work with simpleUSB. If soldering small parts is not your forte, then one of the RIM solutions would be the next least expensive.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/usb-rim-lite.html

Bob
K6ECM

Your CM108 sound card has all the signals you need to put your Alinco in transmit and sens COS from the Alinco. See bob’s post above to modify the CM108 board as a radio interface.

Steve N4IRS

But is it possible to use the IRLP board without modifying the CM108? Yes I understand its the more difficult way and if there is a few lines of code to enter into the config files to make it work, I would certainly choose that option rather than spending extra money.

Albeit, I may as well just order another CM108 just to work with modification. I can solder fairly well so working with small components is not much of an issue for me.

I have modified several StarTech Sound Cards and have several in service at repeater sites.
here is an example on eBay for $15 free shipping.

Let me try and upload my how-to pdf document.
DaveSTARTECH Mod by WA2KJC.pdf (2.2 MB)

1 Like

The Pi channel driver is for a radio interface board that was never manufactured. You will not be able to use that channel driver to do what you want.
There is no way to use the DTMF decoder on the IRLP board with apt_rpt. DTMF decode is in software.
You will still need the CM108 to send audio to the Alinco and to receive audio from the Alinco.

@N4IRS Okay which I do have but there is no way to use the IRLP board for PTT and COS?

@Bob_Pyke, unfortunately this doesnt totally help because I do not have a DB25 with a Raspberry Pi. I only have the serial cable that goes to the DB9 of the Alinco radio. I assume it would be a straight-through DB9 serial cable directly from Alinco to the USB Fob?

Correction…the Sound Fob is a CM119. Looking at the pictures I dont think its that much different

You can connect the IRLP board to the CM1xx for COS and PTT. Check to verify, CM119A? CM119B? etc…

Or buy an inexpensive radio interface that’s designed to be connected to radios, and has all of the tiny work already done. If you’re handy with soldering, you can save some money. The RA and RL series radio interfaces are available from my site:
http://www.masterscommunications.com
The RL-20 is $25.00 in kit form and has the C-Media CM119A chip already installed. 30 minutes of soldering makes a real interface that’s intended for the application.

You can also purchase a radio interface that’s specific to your radio that plugs right into the DB9 of the Alinco DR-135T from this site:
https://www.repeater-builder.com/products/usb-rim-lite.html
They’re currently on back-order but if you’re not in a hurry - this is a simple and inexpensive solution.

These solutions do NOT require the fine surgery of a (cheap) USB sound dongle, have quality components and a REAL C-Media CM119A.

Kevin W3KKC

I recommend the Repeater Builder RIM-Lite as well. I am running 5 Allstar nodes and use the RIM Lite on every one (with a Pi3). One hint - use the usbradio driver with it and not the simpleusb. It’s much more flexible

Shaun, Following this thread…

My advice — Purchase a RL-20 kit or one of Kevin’s ( Masters Communication) Kits. Assemble it. Take your existing IRLP serial cable that goes to the Alinco radio, if needed replace or rewire the DB connector at the IRLP end. Matching it to the adapter output for whatever adapter you decide to purchase. Choose from Kevin’s Kits depending on what you might like to do in the future. Many of his kits provide GPIO connection pads for controlling external relays or components.

Note:
Before shutting down your IRLP Sysytem, Copy the 2 PGP files that will be needed if you sell your board to another person and include the files with the board if/when sold.

/home/irlp/.pgp/secring.pgp ← contains the node’s current PGP Key
/home/irlp/.pgp/stnxxxx.asc (xxxx=your existing node number) ← includes info of approximate date when purchased and name of purchaser.

When done you will no longer have a need for the IRLP Interface.
List your IRLP board (with it’s node number) FOR SALE on one or all of the VOIP groups. As long as you give them your board’s purchase information, the PGP key file that goes with your IRLP system, they can register the board or install it using your current node number and pgp key.

You should be able to recover monies you spend to do the conversion to Allstar. Everything else needed should already be in your current Allstar node.

That’s my 2 cents

Larry - N7FM