New Node - RIM-MAXTRAC-RM Hearing myself back on repeater before Courtesy Tone

Hello,

I’ve been doing some searching on this topic, but I am not having good results. The issue I am having is that when I key up a radio and speak through the repeater, I can pretty much hear my entire conversation back to myself before I get the courtesy tone from the repeater. It feels like I am talking through a satellite and hear the really long delay on the downlink. I have played with several different changes in the simpleusb.conf, but nothing seems to help. The big issue is that I’m not certain what search terms to use that might find some valid results. My current setup is:

2 Motorola M120s with the RIM-MAXTRAC-RM board interfacing them. I am running two systems on a CentOS host but inside of two separate VMs, one for each system. I am passing the USB of each RIM-MAXTRAC-RM through the the respective VM. The second system is running a pair of GM300s, same controller, same issue. This issue was also present on the RaspberryPi setup, which is one of the reasons that I moved towards the VM solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Riddell
KC9AEC / Node 52920

Normally there is less than 200 ms or so repeat audio delay. Node to node audio could be longer (but not multiple seconds) depending on network latency. There are not any simpleUSB (or elsewhere) adjustments for latency.

I’m a little concerned about your setup. Why 2 VMs? Are you aware that you can run more than one node per server?

I have nodes setup for GMRS (mygmrs) and the Allstar node. I didn’t want any chance of cross linking so they each have their own VM. The audio delay (enough to hear my entire callsign back) has persisted even before the change in platforms. The home network is pretty robust with Cable Internet at 120 down and 11 up.

···

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020, 18:31 Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| wd6awp ASL Admin
November 2 |

• | - |

Normally there is less than 200 ms or so repeat audio delay. Node to node audio could be longer (but not multiple seconds) depending on network latency. There are not any simpleUSB (or elsewhere) adjustments for latency.

I’m a little concerned about your setup. Why 2 VMs? Are you aware that you can run more than one node per server?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Rob, this is a problem with simpleusb, so assuming that’s what you use. To avoid it what many have done is move to usbradio. I use the “combined” cos/pl decode from the repeaters (Quantar) as COS in the usbradio.cfg file and set pl decode to none. Of course you need to setup as usbradio… but that delayed local audio pretty much goes awsy

GeorgeC W2DB

1 Like