Motorola RICK (HLN3333B) and RPi interface

Hi all. I recently bought the infamous Motorola GR300 Repeater. I have 2 GM300s in it. All is functioning normally, including the RICK. I am VERY familiar with all the ins and outs of these particular radios now after having read just about every page on repeater-builder, bat-labs, and a few others.

My problem is this:
I would like to interface my system (using the RICK) directly to my RPi to set up an AllStar node…
I have seen a lot of custom interface boards on the internet (RTCM, URI, RIM, etc), but has anybody ever seen or heard of someone interfacing their RPi directly to the Motorola RICK? I would think you could connect it via the J4-ACC pins on the Motorola RICK (similar to how this guy hooks up the ADS SR1 for courtesy tones in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCHXmQqeK0). The reason I want to do this is I would rather use what I have than buy even more hardware. Is it possible? The only thing I can see that’s viable right now is probably buying a single RIM-Maxtrac and running it into the RICK, but again, that’s just buying more hardware…

What do you guys think?

Any help or tips is very much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Neuromancer

Have you checked out this page?

http://www.batlabs.com/rick.html

Thank you,

Brian N2KGC

···

From: neuromancer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:24 AM
To: bwebster@wirelessmapping.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] Motorola RICK (HLN3333B) and RPi interface

neuromancer
January 20

Hi all. I recently bought the infamous Motorola GR300 Repeater. I have 2 GM300s in it. All is functioning normally, including the RICK. I am VERY familiar with all the ins and outs of these particular radios now after having read just about every page on repeater-builder, bat-labs, and a few others.

My problem is this:
I would like to interface my system (using the RICK) directing to my RPi to set up an AllStar node…
I have seen a lot of custom interface boards on the internet, but has anybody ever seen or heard of someone interfacing their RPi directly to the Motorola RICK? I would think you could connect it via the J4-ACC pins on the Motorola RICK (similar to how this guy hooks up the ADS SR1 for courtesy tones in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCHXmQqeK0) Problem is I can’t find too much documentation on the RICK (other than the user manual) and I don’t know where to begin building a wiring assembly from USB to the RICK. Is there some basic component/idea I’m totally missing here?

Any help or tips is very much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Neuromancer

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

You’re going to need some way to get the audio in and out of the RPi so you’ll still need to add at least a supported USB audio interface with a c-media chip, (CM-108, CM-119, etc.) Whether you use the RPi GPIO for PTT, COS, etc is up to you. Most people find it easier to just use a URI or RIM type device which has everything included and generally more robust than the GPIO on the RPi. However you do it, the node can do all the repeat, id, courtesy tone, etc. functions so the RICK is really just a redundant device. It would be simpler to interface to the radios directly rather than through the RICK.

Steve

Yes, saw that, but it doesn’t give me quite the detail I’m looking for. I think I’m realizing that what Steve_Passmore is saying is what I have to do.

Steve, thanks for the input! Very good to know about the GPIO stuff, but I think I’m just going to have to do what you’re saying. I will most likely choose the RIM-Maxtrac-RM. I’ll let you guys know if I have any issues!

Well guys I went ahead and bought the RIM-Maxtrac-RM. I’m still testing basic functions on the repeater before I hook it all up to AllStar. I’ll let you know how it goes. I am running into this problem: GR300 Repeater No TX Audio