Monitor Only System

Is it possible to install AllStarLink on a PC, have it connect to other nodes and listen or monitor only?

I have been told that the audio quality of AllStarLink far surpasses that of Echolink and IRLP and would like to hear it for myself. I think it would also be an aid in learning.

Thanks & 73!

1 Like

That is all true. However if by PC you mean Windows, the answer is no because AllStar only runs on Linux.

If windows could asl be run as a gm, especially as a listen only node.

Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

···

On Jan 25, 2020, at 10:19 AM, Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp
wd6awp
ASL Admin

January 25

That is all true. However if by PC you mean Windows, the answer is no because AllStar only runs on Linux.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

ASH
ASH

January 25

Is it possible to install AllStarLink on a PC, have it connect to other nodes and listen or monitor only?

I have been told that the audio quality of AllStarLink far surpasses that of Echolink and IRLP and would like to hear it for myself. I think it would also be an aid in learning.

Thanks & 73!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

No, I was referring to a Linux PC as opposed to a Raspberry Pi. Is it possible to listen to the various nodes using the Linux build? If so, is there a HOWTO available on how accomplish this? Thanks!

Yes, you would build a AllStar node, either radio or radio less. Then you can connect to any node with *2xxxx (monitor mode) to listen only.

Unless of course you are not a ham, then no there is no listen only other than what you might find on radio reference/broadcastify.

You could also connect up to the telephone portal to any node. Although, it will be telephone sound quality.

Building a “monitor only” system would be the same as building a regular node but the only interface you would need is a compatible USB sound fob and a speaker. You’d have to control it either via command line or or the various web based clients, i.e. allmon.

Thanks Steve! I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

ASH,

I’ve run at least 2 “monitor only” AllStar Nodes. Although now they are TX capable using iaxrpt, I still use them mainly as monitors.

You don’t need anything more than a Pi and speaker or headphone plugged into the stock headphone jack… no USB sound fob nonsense. Add the following line to your /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf:

outstreamcmd = /bin/sh,-c,/usr/bin/aplay -r 8000 -c 1 -f S16_LE -D hw:0,0,0

I have mine just before the “[functions]” stanza. I suspect this is what repeater systems use to output streaming audio to services like Broadcastify. But the command above just tells asterisk to pipe output to the built-in headphone jack.

Works flawlessly. Mine have only about a half-second or less of latency compared to listening to my local repeater on RF.

Cheers and 73,
Amy KB9IQX

1 Like

does this only work on asl? what about hamvoip?
not working for me. (rpi3b + Hamviop)
Thanks
Mike

Broadcastify works. See Stream Node Audio to Broadcastify - AllStarLink Wiki

However, It’s not clear what you’re asking about. I suggest you start a new topic and tell us what it is you’d like to do. Be specific as possible.

I’m going to close this post as it’s over 3 years old and has no solution.