Is the Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ currently supported?

I am attempting to load the image on a Raspberry Pi 3A+. When I try to boot, there is no activity at all according on the green LED. I have download the image twice and verified the MD5 sum with the same results. Additionally, this Pi 3A+ works perfectly with vanilla raspbian. Also, the same SD card will boot correctly on a Pi 3 B.

I am not sure what is going on. It feels like the Pi 3 A+ is not supported. Hopefully I am doing something wrong because the Pi 3 A+ is a perfect sized Pi for an Allstar Node.

Thanks,
Karl
KB2FA

Well, it has been two weeks since I posted my question, so I must assume that the Raspberry Pi 3A+ is currently not supported. Looking forward to your next release. Karl

Karl,

I am not sure about the Pi 3 A+

I know that the image does work on a Pi 3 B.

What is the location of the image that you are using?

The latest release is from this location.

http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/Raspberry_Pi/Stretch/

Marshall

···

From: Karl K via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:55 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Is the Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ currently supported?

|

Karl
May 29

|

• | - |

Well, it has been two weeks since I posted my question, so I must assume that the Raspberry Pi 3A+ is currently not supported. Looking forward to your next release. Karl

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

|

Karl
May 15

|

• | - |

I am attempting to load the image on a Raspberry Pi 3A+. When I try to boot, there is no activity at all according on the green LED. I have download the image twice and verified the MD5 sum with the same results. Additionally, this Pi 3A+ works perfectly with vanilla raspbian. Also, the same SD card will boot correctly on a Pi 3 B.

I am not sure what is going on. It feels like the Pi 3 A+ is not supported. Hopefully I am doing something wrong because the Pi 3 A+ is a perfect sized Pi for an Allstar Node.

Thanks,
Karl
KB2FA

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Marshall,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is the release of ASL that I am trying to load unsuccessfully on a Pi 3 A+. And yes, I also agree that it does run well on a Pi 3 B. I just would prefer to use the physically smaller and lower power consumption Pi 3 A+.

Karl

Can you explain what is not working?

···

Le sam. 30 mai 2020 à 22:32, Karl K via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| Karl
May 31 |

• | - |

Hi Marshall,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is the release of ASL that I am trying to load unsuccessfully on a Pi 3 A+. And yes, I also agree that it does run well on a Pi 3 B. I just would prefer to use the physically smaller and lower power consumption Pi 3 A+.

Karl

Certainly,

The image will not boot on the Pi 3 A+. There is no activity at all according to the green LED. If I then move the same SD card to a Pi 3 B it works fine. Additionally, the Pi 3 A+ works perfectly on plain raspbian.

At this point, I suspect it is related to the kernel version. If I do the following on the Pi 3 B:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo reboot

The SD card will then boot on the Pi 3 A+. Of course, Allstar will now be broken since I did not preface the above commands above with:

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel-headers raspberrypi-kernel

If I upgrade using the Pi 3 B and hold the kernel version by including the line above, we are back to the start, the SD card will not boot on the Pi 3 A+

Karl

Thnaks for the feedback, Yes that mean some files are missing for the distribution to boot. I find this a big bummer that we can had support for a version of a PI to an sd image without having to upgrade the whole kernel and all.

I have a nice 120 gig image for my PI3b+ for retrogaming. If I put it in a Pi4 it wont boot. And even if I upgrade the distro it wont boot. That is even worst then your situation. But yours is kind of more frustrating.

···

Le dim. 31 mai 2020 à 18:04, Karl K via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| Karl
May 31 |

• | - |

Certainly,

The image will not boot on the Pi 3 A+. There is no activity at all according to the green LED. If I then move the same SD card to a Pi 3 B it works fine. Additionally, the Pi 3 A+ works perfectly on plain raspbian.

At this point, I suspect it is related to the kernel version. If I do the following on the Pi 3 B:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo reboot

The SD card will then boot on the Pi 3 A+. Of course, Allstar will now be broken since I did not preface the above commands above with:

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel-headers raspberrypi-kernel

If I upgrade using the Pi 3 B and hold the kernel version by including the line above, we are back to the start, the SD card will not boot on the Pi 3 A+

Karl

Hi Karl,

I have the same problem. The 3A+ will not boot past the “rainbow cube” splash screen. The 3A+ came out in November-ish of 2018. And it seems the “newest” ASL image predates that… so that boot code and firmware are not present in the ASL image to boot on the 3A+, sadly sadly sadly.

Amy KB9IQX