Inactivity timer on local machine when not linked

My nodes connect via permanent links to a hub node. If someone wants to have a local QSO (without sharing it with others on the hub) they need to disconnect the permanent link and then, when done, remember to reinstate it. Instead of hoping they remember, I would like to have a timer reinstate the permanent link after say 5 minutes of inactivity on the local node. I am hoping there is a command i can put into a macro to do this, but haven’t been able to find one. Thx.

There is no built-in way to do that. But I’m sure it can be done with some clever scripting.

Take a look Kyle’s site https://www.qsl.net/k0kn/scripts.html, there might be something there that will do this. The Swiss Army Knife script has tons of features.

Also take a look at the event system https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Event_Management.

I have figured out a way to do this!

1. Create a user macro for taking the repeater off the network.
  2. The macro disconnects all links and then connects to a node that has no other purpose than facilitating this function.
  3. Use the link inactivity timer, say make it ten minutes (lnkactenable = 1, lnkacttime = 600)
  4. lnkactmacro=*52, change the *52 macro so that it will disconnect from the dummy node and revert the system back to the desired default connection state.

Users can execute the macro *52 also, but if they forget, the system does it for them after the timeout.

Important note: the macro will trigger every 10 minutes if there is no activity even with the permanent links, so turning off telemetry is desirable as part of the macro (and turning it on again at the end of the macro).

For this reason, I will probably set it to 1 hour since users may not want monitor Hubnet or similar without getting disconnected too often.

lnkacttimerwarn=30seconds just plays nothing for a second as there is no sound file by default.

Adrian
VE7NZ

I am updating this post as I have found an issue with attempting to silence some of the telemetry. If you normally use no telemetry or timed telemetry, once you include the cop command 933 “local telemetry announcements on” in a macro you forevermore have changed the behaviour to announce all telemetry. It is unfortunate there isn’t a cop command like 933 that invokes timed telemetry.

I am not sure what the Foreign Link Local Output cop commands do. Perhaps there’s something there that might help? I see others have asked about this command but no answers as to the purpose.

None the less, ideas always welcomed from the community.