If I connect two systems will they hear each other?

Hello, my name is Bryson with callsign KM6YMM. I have a question that was sitting in my head for a while and decided to ask here. Let’s say I have my node (45067) and I am connected to node 2560 (WIN System) as well as node 2065 (The Calnet System) but the win system and calnet are not connected to each other directly, since I am connected to both of them, will they hear eachother? As I am basically acting as a bridge between the two? I hope that makes sense. Any help is appreciated as I cannot figure it out.

Yes. All of the nodes would hear each other. I would suggest maybe connecting in monitor mode ( *2node_number ) and only listening to them.

Thank you
Nathan Hardman
Nhardman1428@gmail.com

···

On Oct 8, 2019, at 10:40 AM, Bryson Yaeger via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

byaeger
byaeger

October 8

Hello, my name is Bryson with callsign KM6YMM. I have a question that was sitting in my head for a while and decided to ask here. Let’s say I have my node (45067) and I am connected to node 2560 (WIN System) as well as node 2065 (The Calnet System) but the win system and calnet are not connected to each other directly, since I am connected to both of them, will they hear eachother? As I am basically acting as a bridge between the two? I hope that makes sense. Any help is appreciated as I cannot figure it out.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Every AllStar node is a conference bridge. So yes, any nodes you connect with *3 will bridge those nodes together and they will all hear each other. If the nodes happen to be larger systems, WIN and Calnet in your example, you will have connected the two large systems together. That’s unlikely to make either system happy.

There is a way you could monitor both systems without them hearing each other. The command *2 will monitor (listen only) to the node you connect with. For example you could do command *22560 and *22065. Then you would hear both systems but they would not hear each other or you. However, I DO NOT recommend this as it likely to get you in trouble. That’s because on the bubble map it will appear that ALL nodes are connected. Closer examination will show a small arrow in one direction indicating monitor but it’s really hard to see and likely to get you disconnected and maybe even banned.

Thank you to both Nate and wd6awp. I dont plan on connecting both win and calnet. I was just taking those two as an example.

1 Like