Howto For Beginners

Is there a howto for beginners the starts at installation of the Linux software, hardware hookup & configuration? I’ve looked everywhere and cannot find anything that detailed.

Thanks!

1 Like

There is this https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

Also look on Youtube. Some of the AllStar install videos are not up to date but still helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will try both of those things.

2 Likes

If you find any good useful youtube videos, please post them on here so other Ham can find it easily. Welcome to Allstar.

2 Likes

I just setup a radio-less RPi using the method/info from here - https://hamprojects.info/brian-sm/#cmtoc_anchor_id_8
Just download the PDF. I used terminal window on another computer on same network and SSH’d instead of using winder software for terminal connection. N8AR hardware is reasonable price. I ordered a Brian SM from him.

1 Like

Every installation is different; chances are you will not find a 100% documented install. Given the nature of the system as a whole, every install is different as every person on Earth is different.

Read the Wiki on the ASL site. Read my friends site, wb4ulk.com

Then, tell us what you are thinking of doing, and be detailed. The more info you volunteer, the better.

To start you off, you will need:

• a computer: be it a RPi or an older laptop/desktop

• a URI: RA-40s are awesome!

• a ‘node’ radio (big three name or commercial, chinese will lead to disappointment and noise: you will need to find the service manual to determine where you can find your connections to the following:

• PTT

• COS (RX activity indication)

• TX (mic) audio

• RX audio

• Antenna

• coax

• power supply with sufficient voltage & current rating for node radio

• patience and willingness to learn

I have been told that a Yaesu FT-2800M will not work for some reason. I will be keeping an eye out for an inexpensive alternative.

I wish AllStar was more like EchoLink in that any radio will work with a West Mountain type interface.

Thanks!

ASH

the number of radio interfaces are determined by the number of people who are willing to spend their time to write the code to make it work. It also falls along the line of those who do volunteer their time when it comes to their arbitrary list of priorities.

I would love to help program, but I’m not a professional coder. As an IT person by profession, I’ve had to learn how to do some coding. This might be over my head.

Whom should I speak with to learn if I may be of coding assistance to the AllStarLink project? In addition to possibly coding for my particular radio, I believe I would enjoy scripting and HOWTOs as well in order to make the project more interesting and easier for new and non-technical people.

If you create good quality scripts and the HOWTO’s for your specific radio, we can put them on the Allstarlink web page for other’s to benefit. We are always looking for volunteers.

I take it since you didn’t mention it, that there is no HOWTO for a monitor only system? Is there anything close?

Scott. For a monitor only system. Install ASL as normal. Set node to not allow inbound connections. When connecting outbound use *2nodenumber vs *3nodenumber. You will effectively be a monitor only node.

Thank you
Nathan Hardman
Nhardman1428@gmail.com

···

On Jan 29, 2020, at 3:35 AM, Scott Hughes via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

ASH
ASH

January 29

I take it since you didn’t mention it, that there is no HOWTO for a monitor only system? Is there anything close?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Todd-KM6RPT
Todd-KM6RPT
Board Member

January 26

If you create good quality scripts and the HOWTO’s for your specific radio, we can put them on the Allstarlink web page for other’s to benefit. We are always looking for volunteers.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like