Getting setup without a node

Hello, I am looking for someone that knows about Allstar. I want to know if I can use my ft991a to connect to other nodes. All the videos talk about setting up a node. I saw one video that they on their computer dial a node from the Allstar node list and talk on their radio. Can anyone offer some advice in what I am missing.I have signed up with AllStar Thanks

Typically people with computers dial into their own node which they have set up to allow themselves and/or others to use.

As far as gernal access to Allstar, we do have a phone portal. I’ve never used that myself… but you dial a phone number and put in your PIN. The PIN is show on your AllStar Account settings. Unfortunately I don’t know the phone number :frowning: I’ll see if I can find that if you are interested. After calling the number and entering your PIN you can dial nodes that have the portal enabled.

We also have a Java based web transceiver which allows you to connect to nodes that are enabled for web access. Most web browsers don’t support Java any more so that’s not really an option.

I don’t know the FT991 but it might work for a node radio. I know lots of people are using the cheap BF888 handi-talkie.

1 Like

First, welcome to the community!

To expand a bit more on Tim’s final paragraph, many people build personal nodes with RF capability that can act as a half duplex repeater. If you were to build an RF capable node, then yes you could use your radio to connect to your node, then use DTMF commands to control your node, connecting it to other nodes.

1 Like

I worked with a buddy to set up a node connected to a 10 watt FM rig.

I can dial into our node on smartphone or PC using the Zoiper app. I had to set up zoiper with our IP address and router port number and node password.

I haven’t seen where there is a list of Allstar nodes that are accessible, I guess with same Zoiper app.

Echolink has a handy smartphone app to access a bunch of nodes, some of which are linked to ASL nodes. Many EL nodes on list are turned off or, like you, with no connection to RF.

Am I right so far? I am very new to radio voip and still trying to grasp what’s out there.

1 Like

I’m N5BUX…

Zioper accessable nodes are known only to the node owner and individuals of the owners choosing. Nodes accessible by the Web Transceiver have a “wt” next to the node number. See the AllStar Nodes List. Phone Portal accessable nodes are not indicated there. Would that be a feature folks would like to see added to the Nodes List?

Thanks Tim

You do great to help us novices.

My node is in the “node list” and has “wt” designation, but I don’t think I ever did anything to make it “accessible”. Therefore I think it would be helpful to designate nodes like mine with something like “pvt”.

K3WHD seems to want a “pvt” node and a way to connect to accessible nodes.

···

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 8:45 AM Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp

ASL Admin

July 25

ccirulli:
I haven’t seen where there is a list of Allstar nodes that are accessible, I guess with same Zoiper app.

Zioper accessable nodes are known only to the node owner and individuals of the owners choosing. Nodes accessible by the Web Transceiver have a “wt” next to the node number. See the AllStar Nodes List. Phone Portal accessable nodes are not indicated there. Would that be a feature folks would like to see added to the Nodes List?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

ccirulli

July 25

I worked with a buddy to set up a node connected to a 10 watt FM rig. I can dial into our node on smartphone or PC using the Zoiper app. I had to set up zoiper with our IP address and router port number and node password. I haven’t seen where there is a list of Allstar nodes that are accessible, …

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

When a new node is requested the default is for the Web Transceiver to be enabled. To disable it and remove the “wt” the AllStar Node List, go into your Node Settings and set Allow Web Transceiver access? to No. That will prevent all users, including yourself from connecting to your node with the Web Transceiver.

Got it ! Thanks.

it makes sense now

Have still not dug into the web transceiver functions.

Would like to continue hearing about K3WHD’s progress, and am happy to share everything I have done with my node.

···

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 2:52 PM Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp

ASL Admin

July 25

When a new node is requested the default is for the Web Transceiver to be enabled. To disable it and remove the “wt” the AllStar Node List, go into your Node Settings and set Allow Web Transceiver access? to No. That will prevent all users, including yourself from connecting to your node with the Web Transceiver.

In Reply To

ccirulli

July 25

Thanks Tim You do great to help us novices. My node is in the “node list” and has “wt” designation, but I don’t think I ever did anything to make it “accessible”. Therefore I think it would be helpful to designate nodes like mine with something like “pvt”.

K3WHD seems to want a “pvt” node and a w…

I guess it sounds like I need to set up a node in my house to get into Allstars nodes. As the new web page doesn’t support not connecting without a node,

···

K3WHD ~ 73’s Dave

Telling my radio voip story may help you decide which way to go.

I have been a ham for a long time, but out friendship with one buddy in my part of town and a couple of others in the neighborhood. We used to work together and he is an electronics whiz.

Given we operate on FM, we constantly get out of range when mobile. We do not like using repeaters.

My radio IP desire grew from occasions that FM reach is impossible especially if out of state, or out of the country. With our newly contrived node, i can maintain a presence on our simplex frequency from anywhere.

I started out scouring what was out there and my first foray was with the Echolink app on iphone. With that i experienced what it seems like what you are trying to do, at least at for now.

You can browse nodes (stations) geographically or randomly. With one tap on phone screen you are connected and can start throwing out your call sign. the app gives you a virtual microphone, displayed on your smart phone .

I started out connecting with some repeaters in my area. Then one in the next county where i could monitor RACES net I could not otherwise reach with RF.

Somehow I ended up connecting to W6EL, in California, that displayed as being both an echolink and allstarlink node, with about 40 other nodes connected to it.

On W6EL I intermittently talked to a station in Japan, heard a guy from Australia, and talked to a couple of people in Cali, one of which did not own a radio. I asked one of them how many repeaters were firing up from our QSO and I think he said about 15. I insinuated that we were spamming the airwaves and he answered that “they appreciate the chatter”

Later, still on W6EL, I freakishly connected with a guy in Philly area that was talking portable from an apartment within striking distance of Doug Compton’s node, the HamVoip guru. There were also other guys in that neighborhood who were jumping on, from mobile and base.

With W6EL, there were times i connected that the 40 or so connected nodes did not display. It is also strange that I never logged on to hear activity on the node, except maybe once out of 10-15 times. 95% of the time i got activity only after I called out. These two aspects are a mystery to me. I also still don’t know how 40-50 nodes choose or are welcomed to link up with each other.

I am in europe now and just connected to W6EL. the 40 or so linked nodes did not display and no answer from my call out.

After the echolink app experience, my buddy and I resumed our mission of building a node to augment our neighborhood simplex stations. We used the RB Pi with Syba FOB, then hard wired into a 1996 model Alenco FM rig. My buddy was the hardware genius and all i did was beat the bushes for info to keep him going.

This great Allstar website and Tim were pivotal in completing it and we owe them both a debt of gratitude and contributions.

···

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 6:30 PM K3WHD via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

K3WHD

July 25

I guess it sounds like I need to set up a node in my house to get into Allstars nodes. As the new web page doesn’t support not connecting without a node,

··· (click for more details)

In Reply To

ccirulli

July 25

Got it ! Thanks. it makes sense now Have still not dug into the web transceiver functions. Would like to continue hearing about K3WHD’s progress, and am happy to share everything I have done with my node. ··· (click for more details)

2 Likes

When you connected via Echolink to that popular node it was probably connected to something like the east coast reflector or the wan system. Sometimes people connect up for a while and then disconnect after use which is probably why when you recently connected you didn’t see the linked systems.

If you have your own node you could do the same. “27339” east coast reflector - “2135” wan system. Plenty of repeaters and people connected to each of those. The Win system is also popular.

Then there is also this odd thing where some people don’t like when people connect via Echolink :man_shrugging: