Forwarding nodes

we have more then 30 nodes that are behind a router.

The router is located at the Internet connection point along with a hub-node.

From there it goes out microwave to the rest of the sites.

All nodes are full time linked.

In order to minimize traffic on the microwave there is only one audio path between any microwave route. Thus, I stopped the port forwarding to notes past the main hub node.

As all node shown individually (with status) on all-star is desirable and I want to minimize traffic on the microwave I instruct people to connect to the main hub node.

This is not always working as sometimes I get complaints that they cannot connect to the node they have looked up.

It would be nice if AllStarLink had one or both of the following

1. The ability to in AllStarLink to permanently set up call forwarding to a min hub-node

2. A column on the node list connect via thus instructing people to connect via the main hub node.

As these are not available is there a way to set up a node whose purpose to do one of the following

1. Call forward inbound calls to the main hub-node (most desirable)

2. Or to be programmed with a large number of pseudo nodes with the node numbers (not registering and with a different port number than I use internally but matching the port number registered in AllStarLink thus intercepting the inbound traffic and have that node linked to main hum node?

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Let me make sure I understand. You want all your nodes to show on stats.allstarlink.org and www.allstarlink.org/nodeslist/, so private node numbers are not an option. And you want all incoming connections to go to your hub even if someone connects to another of your nodes. Is that correct?

Thank you for answering

that is correct.

that way they are connecting to the closest node tot he internet connection and there are not duplicate audio paths.

i already do this with my internal traffic on the wan sites with more than one node connect together at that site thus there is only one audio path on any microwave link.

any ideas?

How about this?

• Make all nodes private node numbers except the hub.
  • Put all the public node numbers on the hub. Configure each as dahdi/pseudo.
  • On your www.allstarlink.org server settings page set all ports to the hub’s port.
  • Connect the private nodes to the appropriate public node.

Having 31 nodes on the same server might have IAX registration problems. If so let me know I have an idea for that, too.

Having said this, are you really sure you have such limited bandwidth? Each connection is less than 150kb.

microwave is very busy not a lot of bandwidth available.

also it is easier to look for any external problems in one place when they occur.

Part of the reason for for having them register is so that people can see their status so having them register at the fiber internet point bypasses that.

that being said i did try to build a node they would not register (the actual; node was already registered but accept (intercept) inbound for many nodes, and then connect to the hub node, with all the nodes it overloaded the processor, so i reduced it to 1/3 it worked but it did not pass audio. this was accomplished by using different port numbers in the allstar web page that the nodes actually use to talk locally.

i was trying to put in the minimum information in the rpt.conf and may have left something needed out.

what do you think the maximum number of pseudo nodes i can have?

what would be the minimum information needed for a pseudo node in the rpt.conf?

thanks again

···

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 07:43:16 AM PDT, Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 11

How about this?

• On your www.allstarlink.org server settings page set all ports to the hub’s port.
    Having 31 nodes on the same server might have IAX registration problems. If so let me know I have an idea for that, too.

Having said this, are you really sure you have such limited bandwidth? Each connection is less than 150kb.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

chris43

May 11

Thank you for answering that is correct. that way they are connecting to the closest node tot he internet connection and there are not duplicate audio paths. i already do this with my internal traffic on the wan sites with more than one node connect together at that site thus there is only one au…

Previous Replies

chris43

May 11

Thank you for answering

that is correct.

that way they are connecting to the closest node tot he internet connection and there are not duplicate audio paths.

i already do this with my internal traffic on the wan sites with more than one node connect together at that site thus there is only one audio path on any microwave link.

any ideas?

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 10

Let me make sure I understand. You want all your nodes to show on stats.allstarlink.org and www.allstarlink.org/nodeslist/, so private node numbers are not an option. And you want all incoming connections to go to your hub even if someone connects to another of your nodes. Is that correct?

chris43

May 10

In order to minimize traffic on the microwave there is only one audio path between any microwave route. Thus, I stopped the port forwarding to notes past the main hub node.

As all node shown individually (with status) on all-star is desirable and I want to minimize traffic on the microwave I instruct people to connect to the main hub node.

This is not always working as sometimes I get complaints that they cannot connect to the node they have looked up.

1. The ability to in AllStarLink to permanently set up call forwarding to a min hub-node

2. A column on the node list connect via thus instructing people to connect via the main hub node.

As these are not available is there a way to set up a node whose purpose to do one of the following

2. Or to be programmed with a large number of pseudo nodes with the node numbers (not registering and with a different port number than I use internally but matching the port number registered in AllStarLink thus intercepting the inbound traffic and have that node linked to main hum node?

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I use Allmon2 to manage my nodes rather than relying on allstarlink. Here’s my Allmon2 site if you not seen Allmon2 before.

The max nodes you can have on a server depends on many things. I’d say that 10 to 15 dahdi/pseudo nodes is about it on a reasonable ISP hosted VM. The main bottleneck seems to be with IAX registration keeping up. Might be able to get around that with my http registration method.

Where was the overload on the server you tried to build?

I’ve never tried to trim down a dahdi/pseudo node only server. But the obvious place to start would be limiting the loadable modules. No need for simpleUSB, USBradio, chanVoter… etc. See modules.conf. Also you don’t need courtesy tones, ID’ers… that sort of thing.

yes i was getting cores not responding.

allmon2 used to monitor it mostly does what i need.

i have plenty internet bandwidth at the hub and i can divide it onto several servers i even wrote a program to create the information for the rpt.conf file, but i tried to remove all of the comments and unused settings and i may have either left something out not put it in the correct place in the rpt.conf file. i have not done a 2 node on a server in a long time.

this weekend i may try this again

···

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:32:22 PM PDT, Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 11

I use Allmon2 to manage my nodes rather than relying on allstarlink. Here’s my Allmon2 site if you not seen Allmon2 before.

The max nodes you can have on a server depends on many things. I’d say that 10 to 15 dahdi/pseudo nodes is about it on a reasonable ISP hosted VM. The main bottleneck seems to be with IAX registration keeping up. Might be able to get around that with my http registration method.

I’ve never tried to trim down a dahdi/pseudo node only server. But the obvious place to start would be limiting the loadable modules. No need for simpleUSB, USBradio, chanVoter… etc. See modules.conf. Also you don’t need courtesy tones, ID’ers… that sort of thing.

Previous Replies

chris43

May 11

also it is easier to look for any external problems in one place when they occur.

Part of the reason for for having them register is so that people can see their status so having them register at the fiber internet point bypasses that.

that being said i did try to build a node they would not register (the actual; node was already registered but accept (intercept) inbound for many nodes, and then connect to the hub node, with all the nodes it overloaded the processor, so i reduced it to 1/3 it worked but it did not pass audio. this was accomplished by using different port numbers in the allstar web page that the nodes actually use to talk locally.

i was trying to put in the minimum information in the rpt.conf and may have left something needed out.

thanks again

··· (click for more details)

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 11

How about this?

chris43

May 11

Thank you for answering

that is correct.

any ideas?

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 10

chris43

May 10

There may be a easy answer to my question

(node numbers are fictional)

Assume the node to host me inbound connections is 789123 and
the port is 7000

Assume the inbound range I want to forward is 888100 thru

The following is added to the dial-plan

[radio-secure]

exten => _8881xx,1,rpt,789123

with the allstarlink web page data for the node range 888100
thru 888199 set to port 7000 this will send all incoming calls for 888100 thru
888199 to my server for node 789123 and the server forwards them to internally
to node 789123

thus far this seems to work

···

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 11:28:16 AM PDT, C B harvard5362@yahoo.com wrote:

thanks again

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 07:43:16 AM PDT, Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 11

How about this?

In Reply To

chris43

May 11

Thank you for answering that is correct. that way they are connecting to the closest node tot he internet connection and there are not duplicate audio paths. i already do this with my internal traffic on the wan sites with more than one node connect together at that site thus there is only one au…

Previous Replies

chris43

May 11

Thank you for answering

that is correct.

any ideas?

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 10

chris43

May 10

This only works when the 8881xx and 789123 are on the same physical server, right??

that seems correct

forwarding beyond the server i did not try because this needs to happen on a server that does not have the local intranet ip addresses in them.

···

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 04:07:31 PM PDT, David McGough via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

David_McGough

May 13

This only works is the 8881xx and 789123 are on the same physical server, right??

In Reply To

chris43

May 13

There may be a easy answer to my question (node numbers are fictional) Assume the node to host me inbound connections is 789123 and the port is 7000 Assume the inbound range I want to forward is 888100 thru 888199 The following is added to the dial-plan [radio-secure] exten => _8881xx,1,rpt,…

Previous Replies

chris43

May 13

There may be a easy answer to my question

(node numbers are fictional)

Assume the node to host me inbound connections is 789123 and
the port is 7000

Assume the inbound range I want to forward is 888100 thru

The following is added to the dial-plan

[radio-secure]

exten => _8881xx,1,rpt,789123

with the allstarlink web page data for the node range 888100
thru 888199 set to port 7000 this will send all incoming calls for 888100 thru
888199 to my server for node 789123 and the server forwards them to internally
to node 789123

thus far this seems to work

chris43

May 11

yes i was getting cores not responding.

allmon2 used to monitor it mostly does what i need.

i have plenty internet bandwidth at the hub and i can divide it onto several servers i even wrote a program to create the information for the rpt.conf file, but i tried to remove all of the comments and unused settings and i may have either left something out not put it in the correct place in the rpt.conf file. i have not done a 2 node on a server in a long time.

this weekend i may try this again

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 11

chris43

May 11

thanks again

wd6awp
ASL Admin

May 11

How about this?