EchoLink and Private Nodes

I’m trying to understand AllstarLink and EchoLink with private nodes. It seems to me Asterisk uses the rpt_extnodes file get the IP address for a connection (p-p); to connect to a private node, rpt.conf must include the IP address and the number of the private node in the [nodes] stanza. What I don’t understand is how, EchoLink locates a node hosted on AllstarLink, and if it’s possible to use a private node to host an EchoLink node.

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

It doesn’t! Echolink has no knowledge of allstar link and allstar link has no general knowledge of echolink. They are separate networks and shall remain forever separate.

What an allstar node/server (same thing in reality) can do is utilize any number of channel drivers to act as a media hub between multiple other nodes on other networks. An allstar node (running asterisk and app_rpt) can also be an echolink node but an echolink node (running echolink software) can not be an allstar link node). What we can do with allstar is using the Chan_echolink channel driver, we can connect to one or more nodes on the echolink network. While you could in theory setup an always connected gateway where one could connect to echolink node xyz and then go node hopping across the allstar link network, this use would most likely be frowned upon as tracing users and keeping unlicensed persons out could become rather difficult.

Eric
Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

···

On Jan 2, 2021, at 11:03 AM, Bob Pyke via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| Bob_Pyke
January 2 |

• | - |

I’m trying to understand AllstarLink and EchoLink with private nodes. It seems to me Asterisk uses the rpt_extnodes file get the IP address for a connection (p-p); to connect to a private node, rpt.conf must include the IP address and the number of the private node in the [nodes] stanza. What I don’t understand is how, EchoLink locates a node hosted on AllstarLink, and if it’s possible to use a private node to host an EchoLink node.

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

One more question. How does an EchoLink node locate and connect to an AllstarLink node running the chan_echolink driver? What is the path and where is the logic that places the 3 at the beginning of the AllstarLink node number? We have EchoLink nodes calling into our AllstarLink node that has the appropriate driver.

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

···

On Jan 2, 2021, at 11:39 AM, Eric via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| eric.fort.listmail
January 2 |

• | - |

It doesn’t! Echolink has no knowledge of allstar link and allstar link has no general knowledge of echolink. They are separate networks and shall remain forever separate.

What an allstar node/server (same thing in reality) can do is utilize any number of channel drivers to act as a media hub between multiple other nodes on other networks. An allstar node (running asterisk and app_rpt) can also be an echolink node but an echolink node (running echolink software) can not be an allstar link node). What we can do with allstar is using the Chan_echolink channel driver, we can connect to one or more nodes on the echolink network. While you could in theory setup an always connected gateway where one could connect to echolink node xyz and then go node hopping across the allstar link network, this use would most likely be frowned upon as tracing users and keeping unlicensed persons out could become rather difficult.

Eric
Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

··· (click for more details)

In Reply To

| Bob_Pyke
January 2 |

• | - |

I’m trying to understand AllstarLink and EchoLink with private nodes. It seems to me Asterisk uses the rpt_extnodes file get the IP address for a connection (p-p); to connect to a private node, rpt.conf must include the IP address and the number of the private node in the [nodes] stanza. What I don’…

The echolink node (running echolink software) simply connects to another echolink node that happens to be running asterisk such as yours. The 3 prefix when connecting from allstar to echolink simply acts like an country code and tells asterisk that the node number that follows is an echolink node number. Think of it like this: echolink is all the people who live in country of echolink. So to dial from asterisk you need to dial the echolink country (network ) prefix to dial the echolink node. From echolink echolink not knowing about countries (or really other networks because they don’t exist by concept in the numbering plan) simply uses the echolink node number and knows not what software it is connecting to.

Eric

Sent using SMTP.

···

On Jan 2, 2021, at 12:22 PM, Bob Pyke via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| Bob_Pyke
January 2 |

• | - |

One more question. How does an EchoLink node locate and connect to an AllstarLink node running the chan_echolink driver? What is the path and where is the logic that places the 3 at the beginning of the AllstarLink node number? We have EchoLink nodes calling into our AllstarLink node that has the appropriate driver.

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

In Reply To

| eric.fort.listmail
January 2 |

• | - |

It doesn’t! Echolink has no knowledge of allstar link and allstar link has no general knowledge of echolink. They are separate networks and shall remain forever separate. What an allstar node/server (same thing in reality) can do is utilize any number of channel drivers to act as a media hub betwee…

Previous Replies

| eric.fort.listmail
January 2 |

• | - |

Eric
Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

| Bob_Pyke
January 2 |

• | - |

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

Basically, your echolink channel driver is a echolink emulator.
Using a prefix of ‘3’ asterisk/allstar knows that it is to/from that channel driver.

(connecting to:) Private nodes are those asterisk/allstar nodes that are not part of the allstar registration database where ip/port is shared to registered users.
To connect to private nodes, you must provide your own details (ip/port) of that connection.(all locally set but not necessarily a local target)

Echolink has it’s own registration database working somewhat the same. Their rules and protocols are similar, but not the same. Connections that bridge towards the echolink system use echolink registration servers via the echolink channel driver. Consider the driver a protocol converter… For with it is only but a emulation of a echolink station.

Eric, thanks. Your comments got me looking in the right direction. I setup a non-registered (private) node with an EchoLink setup. The AllstarLink portion in rpt.conf for reporting, and the iax.conf registration line were both commented out so it has no presence on the AllstarLink system, and EchoLink works just fine.

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

···

On Jan 2, 2021, at 11:39 AM, Eric via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

| eric.fort.listmail
January 2 |

• | - |

Eric
Af6ep

Sent using SMTP.

In Reply To

| Bob_Pyke
January 2 |

• | - |

I’m trying to understand AllstarLink and EchoLink with private nodes. It seems to me Asterisk uses the rpt_extnodes file get the IP address for a connection (p-p); to connect to a private node, rpt.conf must include the IP address and the number of the private node in the [nodes] stanza. What I don’…