DTMF Commands vs. Allmon

Hi,

If I request the time of day from Allmon, I hear it just fine on my HT. If I request the time of day with DTMF codes, I only get the last bit or so. I have even tried clicking on “Say Time of Day” in Allmon just as I release the PTT on my HT and that works fine. If I use the DTMF codes, the URIxB device responds right away (I see the red LED come on), but I don’t hear anything on my HT until after the carrier drops and then it is just silence or just the last few digits of the time. Why are these different and is there something I can do to fix it? Using simpleusb with a URIxB sound device.

Thanks!

John

I’m going to assume you have a simplex node, not a repeater node. In that case, in rpt.conf you want duplex=1 or even duplex=0. In other words half duplex.

rpt.conf:

duplex = 1                              ; 0 = Half duplex with no telemetry tones or hang time.
                                        ;     Special Case: Full duplex if linktolink is set to yes.
                                        ;     This mode is preferred when interfacing with an external multiport repeater controller.
                                        ;     Comment out idrecording and idtalkover to suppress IDs also
                                        ; 1 = Half duplex with telemetry tones and hang time. Does not repeat audio.
                                        ;     This mode is preferred when interfacing a simplex node.
                                        ; 2 = Full Duplex with telemetry tones and hang time.
                                        ;     This mode is preferred when interfacing a repeater.
                                        ; 3 = Full Duplex with telemetry tones and hang time, but no repeated audio.
                                        ; 4 = Full Duplex with telemetry tones and hang time. Repeated audio only when the autopatch is down.

Thank you very much for your quick response!

I do have duplex=1 in rpt.conf. My setup is running Allstar on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ connected to a URIxB USB soundcard that is connected to an Hyters RD982 DMR repeater via the 26 pin connector on the back of the repeater. Everything works great. Even sending DTMF commands with my HT works as long as I don’t need a response from Allstar (I can attach nodes and make phonepatch connections).

The only issue is when I use DTMF commands that get a response like *81 to get the Time of Day. If I issue the command from the Allmon2 web interface or from the Allstar CLI, it works fine, even if I key up right before. If I send the DTMF commands, Allstar does key up the repeater, but the time gets cutoff and I only hear the last few words or just dead air.

Here are the verbose logs entries from the CLI when I do this.

For the CLI:

W8LRJ*CLI> rpt cmd 51403 status 12 xxx
Node Variable dump for node 51403:
RPT_TXKEYED=1
RPT_ETXKEYED=0
RPT_NUMLINKS=0
RPT_LINKS=0
RPT_NUMALINKS=0
RPT_ALINKS=0
RPT_RXKEYED=0
RPT_AUTOPATCHUP=0
– 8 variables
– <DAHDI/pseudo-546862452> Playing ‘rpt/goodafternoon’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-546862452> Playing ‘rpt/thetimeis’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-546862452> Playing ‘digits/12’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-546862452> Playing ‘digits/40’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-546862452> Playing ‘digits/6’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-546862452> Playing ‘digits/p-m’ (language ‘en’)
– Hungup ‘DAHDI/pseudo-546862452’

Using DTMF:

[Apr 26 12:47:16] NOTICE[921]: chan_simpleusb.c:2910 simpleusb_read: Got DTMF char *
[Apr 26 12:47:17] NOTICE[921]: chan_simpleusb.c:2910 simpleusb_read: Got DTMF char 8
[Apr 26 12:47:18] NOTICE[921]: chan_simpleusb.c:2910 simpleusb_read: Got DTMF char 1
RPT_RXKEYED=0
RPT_ETXKEYED=1
RPT_TXKEYED=0
RPT_NUMLINKS=0
RPT_LINKS=0
RPT_NUMALINKS=0
RPT_ALINKS=0
RPT_AUTOPATCHUP=0
– 8 variables
RPT_TXKEYED=1
RPT_RXKEYED=0
RPT_ETXKEYED=1
RPT_NUMLINKS=0
RPT_LINKS=0
RPT_NUMALINKS=0
RPT_ALINKS=0
RPT_AUTOPATCHUP=0
– 8 variables
RPT_ETXKEYED=0
RPT_TXKEYED=1
RPT_RXKEYED=0
RPT_NUMLINKS=0
RPT_LINKS=0
RPT_NUMALINKS=0
RPT_ALINKS=0
RPT_AUTOPATCHUP=0
– 8 variables
– <DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385> Playing ‘rpt/goodafternoon’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385> Playing ‘rpt/thetimeis’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385> Playing ‘digits/12’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385> Playing ‘digits/40’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385> Playing ‘digits/7’ (language ‘en’)
– <DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385> Playing ‘digits/p-m’ (language ‘en’)
– Hungup ‘DAHDI/pseudo-1329964385’

The DTMF version starts with RPT_ETXKEYED=1 before switching to RPT_TXKEYED=1. That is the only difference I see.

Thanks!

John

Oh it’s repeater? If you actually have a full duplex repeater then you want duplex=2. Also with repeaters and Allstar you have to turn off the internal repeater controller (aka in cabinet repeat), if there is one.

The other way to go if you can’t turn off in cabinet repeat is to use duplex=3. You could still have problems with PTT priority blocking audio but it’s worth a try.