Does ASL work? My experience

First, Thanks to everyone involved in the AllStar system, especially the software guru’s. I know it takes lots of effort, and it is appreciated. I wish I had the knowledge to help. I cannot get ASL 1.01 to work reliably on a dual-node system using a Pi or a PC. I’ve been trying for 3 months now.
I have a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Raspberry Pi 3+ for a Pi. I have an AOpen DE7000 with 4gig memory for a PC. I have one RA-42 URI, and a DMK URI. I post here to share my experience. What is your experience, and have you made it work?
The DE7000 seemed to be fine, but failed after 2 weeks ( see my other post from May 26 ). When it fails, the URI lights flash slowly, I cannot SSH into the system, and a local keyboard/mouse/monitor will not work. The system is frozen.
The RaspberryPi ( 2 or 3 ) works for less than 24 hours. The URI lights begin to ’ pulsate ’ and the audio becomes weirdly distorted. I can SSH into the system, and the error log shows nothing helpful.
What DOES work is my old copy of AllSter using Raspien 8 Jessie. I managed to get dahdi_dummy installed on it too. Our repeater at a remote site has been running on it for years now with no failures, except for the audio dropouts. Now, with dahdi_dummy, the audio will get garbled a bit after about 2 weeks, and an asterisk reset fixes it. Either that, or I reboot using an internet controlled power strip. For now, I’m sticking with the only thing that actually works.
I guess this is the best place to get help. I’ve read, and continue to read, all I can. Maybe it’s time to take a class in Linux. That’s my next step.

That sounds like bad hardware, not ASL. I know that may sound like a cop out but really, that has to be hardware. I’ve run ASL on many Intel boxes including virtual machines and never had ssh lock up.

I do find the uptime is not what I’d like it to be. After a few weeks I start having connection problems and occasionally core dumps. A cron job restarting Asterisk twice a month avoids that problem. I’ve asked every developer I know (including the original author) to fix this but no one has been able to.

Raspberry Pi’s are a problem for ASL. I once set up a PBX on a Pi with ASL without USB devices. The voicemail play back was unacceptably choppy. While USB devices may contribute to the choppy audio, I don’t believe that’s the source of the problem.

If the systems are going unresponsive, it’s unlikely that asterisk / AllStar is the cause of this. Flaky hardware (or bad power) is the most likely cause.

If the systems are exposed directly to the Internet, it’s also possible they’re being attacked and are reaching resource exhaustion. This is a well-known issue with the HamVoIP disto, when the sshd is “open to the world” on port 222. Within a single day, unsuccessful hacking attempts can fill up the /var/log partition, filling the /var/log/btmp file. So, if you need sshd open, hide the port used and implement filtering software/techniques. These Internet attack issues are a concern with all Linux flavors.

73, David KB4FXC

I wonder if using 2 different URI’s contributes to this.

Unlikely, they both use they same mfg’s chip and channel driver.

Are you trying to use two URI’s at the same time on the same hardware?

···

From: lengriff@optimum.net via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2020 9:18 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Does ASL work? My experience

|

lengriff
June 5

|

• | - |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

|

wd6awp ASL Admin
June 5

|

• | - |

That sounds like bad hardware, not ASL. I know that may sound like a cop out but really, that has to be hardware. I’ve run ASL on many Intel boxes including virtual machines and never had ssh lock up. I do find the uptime is not what I’d like it to be. After a few weeks I start having connection p…

Previous Replies

|

David_McGough
June 5

|

• | - |

If the systems are going unresponsive, it’s unlikely that asterisk / AllStar is the cause of this. Flaky hardware (or bad power) is the most likely cause.

If the systems are exposed directly to the Internet, it’s also possible they’re being attacked and are reaching resource exhaustion. This is a well-known issue with the HamVoIP disto, when the sshd is “open to the world” on port 222. Within a single day, unsuccessful hacking attempts can fill up the /var/log partition, filling the /var/log/btmp file. So, if you need sshd open, hide the port used and implement filtering software/techniques. These Internet attack issues are a concern with all Linux flavors.

73, David KB4FXC

|

wd6awp ASL Admin
June 5

|

• | - |

lengriff:

The DE7000 seemed to be fine, but failed after 2 weeks ( see my other post from May 26 ). When it fails, the URI lights flash slowly, I cannot SSH into the system, and a local keyboard/mouse/monitor will not work. The system is frozen.

That sounds like bad hardware, not ASL. I know that may sound like a cop out but really, that has to be hardware. I’ve run ASL on many Intel boxes including virtual machines and never had ssh lock up.

I do find the uptime is not what I’d like it to be. After a few weeks I start having connection problems and occasionally core dumps. A cron job restarting Asterisk twice a month avoids that problem. I’ve asked every developer I know (including the original author) to fix this but no one has been able to.

Raspberry Pi’s are a problem for ASL. I once set up a PBX on a Pi with ASL without USB devices. The voicemail play back was unacceptably choppy. While USB devices may contribute to the choppy audio, I don’t believe that’s the source of the problem.

|

lengriff
June 5

|

• | - |

First, Thanks to everyone involved in the AllStar system, especially the software guru’s. I know it takes lots of effort, and it is appreciated. I wish I had the knowledge to help. I cannot get ASL 1.01 to work reliably on a dual-node system using a Pi or a PC. I’ve been trying for 3 months now.
I have a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Raspberry Pi 3+ for a Pi. I have an AOpen DE7000 with 4gig memory for a PC. I have one RA-42 URI, and a DMK URI. I post here to share my experience. What is your experience, and have you made it work?
The RaspberryPi ( 2 or 3 ) works for less than 24 hours. The URI lights begin to ’ pulsate ’ and the audio becomes weirdly distorted. I can SSH into the system, and the error log shows nothing helpful.
What DOES work is my old copy of AllSter using Raspien 8 Jessie. I managed to get dahdi_dummy installed on it too. Our repeater at a remote site has been running on it for years now with no failures, except for the audio dropouts. Now, with dahdi_dummy, the audio will get garbled a bit after about 2 weeks, and an asterisk reset fixes it. Either that, or I reboot using an internet controlled power strip. For now, I’m sticking with the only thing that actually works.
I guess this is the best place to get help. I’ve read, and continue to read, all I can. Maybe it’s time to take a class in Linux. That’s my next step.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yes. Allstar is capable of running 2 nodes on the same device. It is explained on the WiKi page. We have been running K2ETS 2M and 220 like that for 5 years with no problems using the older software.

···

From: Marshall Oldham via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2020 1:49 PM
To: lengriff@optimum.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Does ASL work? My experience

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
June 6

|

• | - |

··· (click for more details)

In Reply To

|

lengriff
June 5

|

• | - |

Yes, I know Allstarlink is capable of running 2 nodes on the same device.

But for troubleshooting reasons, I would start with one URI and see what happens.

Just a thought.

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: lengriff@optimum.net via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2020 5:26 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org

|

lengriff
June 7

|

• | - |

Yes. Allstar is capable of running 2 nodes on the same device. It is explained on the WiKi page. We have been running K2ETS 2M and 220 like that for 5 years with no problems using the older software.

In Reply To

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
June 6

|

• | - |

Are you trying to use two URI’s at the same time on the same hardware? ··· (click for more details)

Previous Replies

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
June 6

|

• | - |

|

wd6awp ASL Admin
June 5

|

• | - |

Unlikely, they both use they same mfg’s chip and channel driver.

|

lengriff
June 5

|

• | - |

|

David_McGough
June 5

|

• | - |

73, David KB4FXC

|

wd6awp ASL Admin
June 5

|

• | - |

lengriff:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

Further to Marshall’s reply, I had pi’s failing when I plugged in more than one radio interface. They worked much of the time, but sometimes I would wake up to find my repeater stuck on Tx because the PTT voltage differential was diminished or the Pi would hang or would not boot up successfully every time. Since moving to one Pi per interface I have had only one of my 6 Pi’s need a reboot in many weeks and this may not even have been related to the Pi.

I do have Pis that have more than one node on them, but I keep it to one interface.

The other option is to supply external power to the radio interface. You can do that with the RA boards, not sure about URI.

As with all of these challenges, keep the faith that one day it will work as you want!

Adrian
VE7NZ