Connecting to node vs linking

I’m trying to understand the difference between connecting to a node (such as using iax_rpt authenticating with a username/psw) and linking to a node via DTMF and the difference there might be between monitoring and transmitting. Sorry if it’s a basic question but I fell like I’m still missing some fundamentals on how this whole system is supposed to work.

I’m assuming that nodes you can connect to are nodes under your control as a maintainer. You may have one or many if part of a club. Say you own node 1, 2, 3, and let’s pretend they are all radio-less.

If I connect to node 1 via my computer client, and then link 2 and 3 to 1, I’m assuming I would hear all traffic coming into 2 and 3 (wherever they may be linked to themselves)

What happens if I key my node 1? Will it transmit to both 2 and 3 and then further out to the nodes they are connected to?

Conversely, if I wanted to implemented some sort of scanning capabilities to find out nodes with traffic, could I just link all the nodes I’m interested in to my node and listen to traffic that way?

Does simplex/duplex connection make these scenarios any different?

Connections such as IAX_rpt or Zoiper require a login ID and password on the node of desired access, your own node for example. Linking to another node with DTMF does not require an ID or password. You can connect to any node simply by dialing *3 + the node number.

All nodes are conference bridges. Therefore any node hears and can talk to any other node in the network. Networks are adhoc and dynamic, they build or contract as nodes dis/connect. Here’s an example of one of the largest (if not the largest) AllStar network. http://stats.allstarlink.org/getstatus.cgi?2560

There is no scanner function in AllStar.

Simplex and duplex refers to the radio side. AllStar is always full duplex on the network side.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.